Dogs: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love dogs?

Yes
47%
No
27%
Prefer cats
17%
Love all animals
7%
NIMBY
3%
Not sure yet
No votes

Total votes: 30

merseymouth

Re: Dogs: Why? Why not?

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, My numer 1 dog is a wire hair terrier, Name Snowy, but really named Milou! No moulting of hair, no whoopsies to clean up, little appetite to satisfy.
Yes my dogs are all cuddly toys, I don't have the life style for real pets. MM
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Champ and Major have moved into the White House

swagman

Post by swagman »

Time to show Charlie off.
IMG-20210123-WA0003.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_20190823_083516417.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Re: Dogs: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

- My dog is so intelligent. She reads the newspaper every morning!
- I know, my dog told me
- That is nothing, my dog reads the newspaper, then gives me her copy to read myself. And I never even ordered the Gazette!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

You have a number of surveys posted Cyril - what do you do with the results?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ANTONISH wrote: 3 May 2021, 6:04pm You have a number of surveys posted Cyril - what do you do with the results?
Confirm my prejudices. Or not, as the case may be. As you see I try to give many choices, up to ten are possible. I think that especially the thread/poll: 'more cycling: less motoring' might get people thinking. A poll about porridge is to support my claim to be 'entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon + intellectual'

My dream is to be Special Advisor to a PM, with an official residence in Barnard Castle
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

We have a dog, it’s one we had from a couple who liked to get handy with each other - it’s like the UN peace keepers any aggression and aggressor gets nipped (larking about you get a warning cry two to three times and watch out)

There have been days I could of happily jumped in front of a train- apart from the mess and devastation that would be left behind.

A dog doesn’t judge, a creature of habit and our children when stressed with this situation walked,fed and played ball with him.

Think he is about 5 years old and weighs 32kg.

Think vets bills so far £3000 and costing £70 plus a month in medication which we are hoping to wean him completely off as vets think he should be ok with a couple more tests
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well as you may know we lost Flynn the springer spaniel earlier this year. The Mrs had been saying for about the last 5 years she'd like a water feature in the garden, so a couple of weeks after his passing we went to a few garden centres to look at them. £300 for a 2'6" fibreglass one with a trickle of water so I promised I'd make her one. Took me a while with all the wet weather but she's really pleased with it and I just had to get a plaque made. The pebbles are from his favourite beach in Wales.
20210628_212817.jpg
20210628_212803.jpg
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

That's wonderful, Phil, well done - far, far better than anything you could ever have bought, it's a perfect memorial for Flynn. Doing it sooner might have been too soon anyway, you might just have felt sadness and not the happier memories you might feel now, and building it yourself means so much more.

It takes time to get over it, as you'll know. After I lost my last two, a whippet and a lab/collie cross who grew up as pups together and were fourteen when they died, to begin with I couldn't even go for walks around where we used to go - I live on the edge of the village and beyond here there's just woods and landscaped fields with woodland walks - and that took a while to fade. Even though it's eight years since they died, I still feel a bit bereft wandering about myself so I don't often bother. Cycling is different and better although I haven't been doing much of that lately either. Maybe I should try running, the way they used to do - they were the kind of dogs who loved to run but didn't much like walking. I expect your Flynn, being a springer spaniel, was the same!

(Your second photo comes up sideways, for me, at least, although the first one is ok when you click on it - never understood why that happens sometimes - so here it is the right way up - you've done a great job.)

20210628_212803.jpg
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Thank you for sorting the photo out. Hardest thing was digging the 18" deep trench for the swa cable across the lawn. The light and pond pump are connected to the WiFi and controllable via a phone app!
I didn't keep a record of the cost but it was all worth it, even the stainless steel plaque that cost me £80. It'll look even better when the sweet peas grow up the trellis, I made that out of roofing battens and some bamboo canes!
Yes we still miss him but he had a good life with us.
A 7 mile run across the fields was nothing to him even though we were on mountain bikes he always kept up and if he went off chasing a pheasant he'd take a short cut to get back in front of us!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our two chocolate Labs died within 48 hours of each other at the end of April. They were brothers, from the same litter, and apart from a couple of overnight stays at the vet's had never been apart from us or each other. I found one of them dead in his bed when I came down one morning, and his brother, after fretting and crying incessantly for 36 hours, died in convulsions the following evening. The vet said that it often happened that way with dogs so close.

The difference in the house was nothing short of shocking: in the space of a weekend we went from having two happy friends sharing our lives to having just a great empty space. We were numb for a week, then gradually picked up again. Fairly normal now, or at least we've got out of looking where we put our feet all the time.

Never again, probably.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Lovely little memorial fountain.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Therapy dogs waiting to be let into hospital rooms to comfort sick children.

pwa

Post by pwa »

My wife and I took our whippet on a nice circuit walk up a forested valley yesterday, and it was an excellent way of stepping out of the stress of normal life. It is a quiet place, always with just a few other visitors. Two other groups with well behaved dogs, and a couple of gravel bikers who knew how to ride with respect for others. It is a place where everyone says hello to everyone else. But mostly we were out of sight and sounds of humanity and only had the whippet to focus on. She was off the lead most of the time, and the ability to do that was a reason for us going to that location. Few people, few other dogs, and no livestock. So she walks freely with us, occasionally wandering off to explore things to the left or the right. Constantly checking where we are to make sure she hasn't lost us. It is a lovely dynamic. Pack behaviour, in fact. We make a point of walking where the whippet can be safely off the lead for a significant proportion of the time. We put her on the lead as soon as the need arises, of course, but release her as soon as possible afterwards.

Some pics taken by other people in the same place:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Craig ... 4?hl=en-GB