Smart meters (again?)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Smart meters (again?)

Post by fausto copy »

Over the last couple of years I've been pestered by my supplier, so much that I told them never to ring me or write to me again about installing one.
Just lately, they've been sending cards saying that "my" meter is waiting in the warehouse and giving me a choice of appointments for the forthcoming week, which I've ignored.

However, more disconcerting is what happened this morning when I phoned by elderly step-father in the North West.
He was rather agitated as he says he's been sent a letter by his gas provider (I think it's e-on) with an actual appointment to fit his smart meter in a fortnight's time.

Even without the Covid issue I cannot believe this is correct practice.
Given that he's in the "vulnerable" category at 89 and also living in a lockdown area it seems even more reprehensible.

Views and advice please.
rjb

Re: Smart meters (again?)

Post by rjb »

Have a read of the Ofgem open letter's link here. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-a ... -june-2020
I have been trying to get a smart meter for years, but my supplier's don't seem interested. Possibly as mobile reception in our village is poor.
Ofgem is pushing energy providers to meet targets for smart meter installation. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

rjb wrote:Have a read of the Ofgem open letter's link here. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-a ... -june-2020
I have been trying to get a smart meter for years, but my supplier's don't seem interested. Possibly as mobile reception in our village is poor.
Ofgem is pushing energy providers to meet targets for smart meter installation. :wink:

We have poor mobile reception and so far we have had two attempts by different providers to get smart meters working. It has just been a waste of our time and theirs. I wouldn't mind smart meters but without the signal it just doesn't work.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

OP.
Your relative does not have to allow access inside his property in time of Covid, if he does not want too.
I see it as that simple.

He (or you) should phone them and stop them coming.
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

There is absolutely no legal requirement to have a smart meter installed. Interestingly, one of my friends couldn't have a meter installed as there is asbestos in his meter cupboard (one of his meters sits on a slab of it). He didn't know this until an installer came who then said he couldn't complete the job and a special team from his utility provider would be in touch. Over a year later and he has heard nothing.

For the latest version of smart meters (SMETS2) there are two different types of communication networks used. In the North of England and Scotland Arqiva are the provider. Elsewhere it is Telefonica.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Presumably if the customer doesn't agree to having a smart meter installed they will continue to have someone calling to enter the property to read the meter?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:Presumably if the customer doesn't agree to having a smart meter installed they will continue to have someone calling to enter the property to read the meter?

I think (know) one could stop them in time of covid especially if the occupant is high risk.
Just get an estimated bill until the period passes?
Can't see a problem with it.

Installing a new meter requires a great deal more time inside than a simple meter read.

My provider would happily accept self read meter reading anyway.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

PDQ Mobile wrote:OP.
Your relative does not have to allow access inside his property in time of Covid, if he does not want too.
I see it as that simple.

He (or you) should phone them and stop them coming.

I should have added that he (or I) will be phoning to refuse access.
However, I am concerned about the right to make an unsolicited appointment.

To pwa, thanks for your link.
I have read through it and while it says says the suppliers must make all reasonable efforts to get customers to accept having a smart meter, it also says "Overly repetitive and coercive approaches, as opposed to innovative, holistic and tailored re-contact strategies, can be counterproductive in delivery of the rollout obligations".
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

pwa wrote:Presumably if the customer doesn't agree to having a smart meter installed they will continue to have someone calling to enter the property to read the meter?

That scenario was one I mentioned when giving reasons I would not consider having one.
One of our village residents is employed as a meter reader, and I don't want to put him out of a job.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Got a smart meter in work.

What I don't understand is why they still keep sending estimated readings.
I presume that they would know how much energy we've used if the meter is "smart".
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sorry for the post diversion - but how does a smart meter save you money as hinted at in the TV adverts ?
What is the advantage to the consumer if you have one?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

cycleruk wrote:Sorry for the post diversion - but how does a smart meter save you money as hinted at in the TV adverts ?
What is the advantage to the consumer if you have one?

1) IIRC, some trials (using in-home readouts) showed x% reduction in electricity consumption due to increased consumer awareness of how much they were using.
2) More accurate billing, rather than the optimistic guesses that most direct debit users experience - however I suspect that the linkage between readings and debiting will take a while to sort out :roll:
"42"
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

For most consumers being able to monitor their real time electricity consumption is a nine day wonder.
Either one needs to use the electricity or one doesn't.

I suspect that the real aim - if the system ever becomes truly "smart" will be to introduce pricing based on real time demand - of course you may be able to see the unit price go up and down - but what are you going to do about it - perhaps turn everything off at high price points and put it on again when it gets cheaper.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

ANTONISH wrote:I suspect that the real aim - if the system ever becomes truly "smart" will be to introduce pricing based on real time demand - of course you may be able to see the unit price go up and down - but what are you going to do about it - perhaps turn everything off at high price points and put it on again when it gets cheaper.

Very likely. I've heard that a few appliances have been fitted with devices that detect tiny variations in the supply frequency which are caused by changes in the overall load. They can then be set to turn on when demand is low and off when it peaks, which you can get away with if the device is a freezer or part of a heating system. Presumably it would be cheaper or more accurate to have the appliance get the information from the smart meter instead.

Taken to its logical conclusion, a user in Glasgow might one day notice their heat pump turning on to boost the hot water because a sudden wind in the North Sea has dropped the spot electricity price.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I see no real benefit to customers from a smart meter as you can easily read an old style meter and monitor how much you are using if you so wish.
If interested in what you are spending on electricity I think a plug in device which monitors an individual appliances usage much more useful than total usage of the property.
When a smart meter is installed it provides the supplier with lots of data on your energy usage over time which will be of value to them and will give away personal information such as when you are away from your home, what time you go to bed etc..
They are able to remotely command a power meter to turn off so they are able to disconnect people without having to visit their property.
There is also the possibility that they will start using power factor which if implemented would put the cost up significantly for most people.