Slow Ways

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Slow Ways

Postby Cowsham » 21 Oct 2020, 2:51pm

millimole wrote:The litter issue is a distraction.

I believe everything has to be in balance for an idea to work, like supply and demand. Nobody is going to want electric cars if the cost of buying and running them is prohibitive. ( sorry I mentioned electric cars don't get too hung up on that example )

It follows that if you are given a privilege to walk over someone else's land ( I know there is issues some will have with someone owning land but that's a reality here like it or not ) the owner / caretaker needs at least some reassurance that the walkers are going to or are at least asked to treat the land with respect.

There will be the odd nutters who believe everything belongs to them and this world owes them something due to the fact they exist and have the right to treat it whatever way they want so to counter this problem some assurance needs to be given to the land owner or body who has the responsibility for the land, hence giving some balance to the equation.

pwa

Postby pwa » 21 Oct 2020, 5:16pm

Cowsham wrote:
millimole wrote:The litter issue is a distraction.

I believe everything has to be in balance for an idea to work, like supply and demand. Nobody is going to want electric cars if the cost of buying and running them is prohibitive. ( sorry I mentioned electric cars don't get too hung up on that example )

It follows that if you are given a privilege to walk over someone else's land ( I know there is issues some will have with someone owning land but that's a reality here like it or not ) the owner / caretaker needs at least some reassurance that the walkers are going to or are at least asked to treat the land with respect.

There will be the odd nutters who believe everything belongs to them and this world owes them something due to the fact they exist and have the right to treat it whatever way they want so to counter this problem some assurance needs to be given to the land owner or body who has the responsibility for the land, hence giving some balance to the equation.

I have picked litter up because it makes me feel better seeing it in a bin rather than on the ground, but I have never considered picking it up to please a farmer who might have nothing better to do than watch me walk from one stile to the next. :lol: I use Public Rights of Way (where is the S supposed to go?) as a right because, well, it is a right. Like it says on the proverbial tin. Just don't leave open gates that ought not to be left open, don't let your dog run amok, don't set things on fire, etc, etc, and all is well. Oh, and give the landowner a cheery "Hello" if you meet them. That's always nice, too. But you don't need to clean up for them. You can if you want to, but it isn't bad manners not to.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 21 Oct 2020, 9:17pm

millimole wrote:To amplify a point made by pwa - I'm part of a group of volunteers who litter pick a section of canal, since we started removing the stuff, the amount has reduced dramatically.
I think that the less litter people see, the less likely they are to drop it. (does not apply to McD litter thrown out of car windows though)

When out for my daily walk I typically pick up a few items here and there on route and place them in the next litter bin. I can’t make the World a perfectly tidy and wonderful place but what little I can do I will do. If someone doesn’t see litter then they don’t see something that empowers then more to drop their own litter, to some extent people do adhere to social norms so change the norms for the better if you can. If someone else sees me picking up litter, just a piece here and a piece there, then perhaps they will be encouraged to do the same.

pwa

Postby pwa » 21 Oct 2020, 9:34pm

Litter is not a major problem in my rural location, so this discussion about litter picking is a bit academic in my instance.

If the Slow Ways network of walking routes is meant to be a practical thing, with getting from A to B safely and efficiently prioritised over things like scenery, I expect the routes in my area to be mostly on lanes. There is a dense network of quiet lanes that provide fairly direct links between communities, and they are reasonably safe and pleasant to use on foot. I doubt that they will come up with any routes in my area that I don't already know in detail.