Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Post by Tangled Metal »

As a light hearted discussion, to avoid debates over whether things are safe or just feel unsafe. I wonder what people think could make for an exercise replacement for closed gyms?

Imagine you don't feel safe out in the dark streets or cycling on our roads or often pathetic cycle paths. What's your alternatives for the common gym user? Typically I don't mean the body building gyms but the one that normal folk attend for classes or gym sessions .
Jdsk

Re: Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Post by Jdsk »

Video, either with just the film or with a remote group.

Jonathan

PS: But I'm lucky and can walk on footpaths from home in daylight.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Our gym is still open although it might as well not be.We have to book in advance,only get 1 hour and the Wattbike is usually taken by someone who has no idea what they're using :x I wouldn't mind so much but there are two other bikes that are just as good for sitting on with the saddle far too low slowly pedaling whilst doing the crossword!
Part of what keeps me going to the gym is the spontaneity of just thinking "I'll go to the gym while I've got a spare couple of hours" or going to the gym because I get up and the weather is foul.Pre-planning or booking in advance take the fun out of it.
As a result of this I've just bought a 2nd hand one of these.

At least my allocated 1 hour slot can be used for other things now I can bike at home!It's actually better than a wattbike as it can connect to all the third party training apps.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Climbing to the top of a church tower, did that again today (35 metres vertical) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

For a lot of gym users simply walking to and from instead of driving will use the equivalent calories.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

peetee wrote:For a lot of gym users simply walking to and from instead of driving will use the equivalent calories.

Crikey! I thought I was a misanthrope, and I was just going to draw attention to a persistant rumour that walking is, Errm, "healthy" :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Climbing to the top of a church tower, did that again today (35 metres vertical) :wink:

I take it you used the steps and not literally a vertical climb. :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Climbing to the top of a church tower, did that again today (35 metres vertical) :wink:

Right again, 100+ steps, going there again tomorrow
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

peetee wrote:For a lot of gym users simply walking to and from instead of driving will use the equivalent calories.

I tend to agree.I see a few people who are basically doing very little whilst there.I often wonder if they’re there for the company rather than the excercise!
I run there and back,1km each way,then I either run 5km the Treadmill and 16km on the Wattbike or just 32km on the Wattbike.
If it stays open I’ll ptrobably add a weight routine a couple of times a week over Winter.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

FerociousDog wrote:Our gym is still open although it might as well not be.We have to book in advance,only get 1 hour ... what keeps me going to the gym is the spontaneity of just thinking "I'll go to the gym.

+ 1. Our's is the same (NB. Better than the original scheme, which only allowed 45 minutes, with a 30 minute enforced break outside). At least it's now possible to work out for an hour, prior to standing outside for 15 minutes, before heading back in. But having to leave an hr's cardio at 85-90% max heart rate, stand outside in sweat soaked clothing when it's 7-8 degrees is ........ (Nb. No changing facilities or bags allowed). As is having to wait around at home at 05.30am, waiting until you're "allowed" to go to the gym and occasionally having to go back several hours later to get a full work out in. Oh yeah and doing "ab's is banned" due to covid :roll:

But could be worse; it could be closed!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

You should note the reaction when I walk to the local authorities "recycling centre".

Recycling by walking or cycling access isn't "allowed" locally as it's not normal to travel by foot or bicycle. So as I routinely walk past the 10-20, 4/4's lined in a queue*, engines running, to deposit my juice cartons etc, I get a lot of verbal muttering "disgusting, shouldn't be allowed, it's not allowed"
drossall

Post by drossall »

We've got gym membership, and had got into the habit of going at least once a week. We haven't been since lockdown started. We'll keep the membership going and hope to return but, in the meantime, I've got into the habit of Zwift, which is proving a good replacement. And doesn't need a set-up quite as fancy as FD's.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

drossall wrote:I've got into the habit of Zwift, which is proving a good replacement. And doesn't need a set-up quite as fancy as FD's.

I was last on Zwift about 3 years ago.I joined it early on and got a bit bored with it after using for about a year.Looking at it now it’s come along way since 2017!Last time I was using a dedicated Turbo bike and Smart trainer that I had to bring in from the garage.Now we have a spare bedroom(man cave!!) I thought I’d give the TDF ago.I was going to buy a Wahoo Kickr or other direct drive trainer but with the TDF bike I get a fully customisable unit that is always set up and ready to go.
Btw I didn’t pay any where near the £2k price they are when new!!!I paid less than a would for a new Kickr!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
fausto copy wrote:

Right again, 100+ steps, going there again tomorrow

Have you not tried the outside route?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A lot of elitist views on here I think. At our gym there were a lot of GP or consultant referrals. Basically people with health issues such that not doing much is the right thing. Elsewhere I mentioned a couple of very big ladies who used to visit the gym I used to go to just to sit b or lie on toning tables while the tables vibrate to shake ripples up and down their spare tyres. I couldn't see what good it was n doing. Certainly no reduction in size. It seems it was n helping n their very low starting fitness and allowed them to get to a level that slow walking on a level treadmill could be started. After that they shed mass noticeably and made a very obvious improvement. But they needed to get to a certain level healthily before stepping up their training.

Put simply not everyone can run to their gym,1km each way,then I either run 5km the Treadmill and 16km on the Wattbike or just 32km on the Wattbike. You have to improve steadily to achieve that fitness (BTW was that what's called a humble brag???). Gyms are a safe way to get from a very low fitness starting level to a healthy level. It's also a safer way to maintain a decent fitness level.

I realize asking this here in a site that's mostly populated by people who think 30 miles cycle ride is just a warm up. People who have likely ridden a lot over many years and as a result have a fitness level well above average for their age. Basically at a level 10 or more years younger.