Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Post by gbnz »

mjr wrote:
gbnz wrote:
drossall wrote: but recognised that gyms are not yet the healthiest places to be, .

Depends on the usage. Mine doesn't open until 07.15am at weekends, but whilst it's got sufficient space for 56 users at one time, it'll be empty except for myself and staff downstairs :wink: [...] Compared with the high levels of risk in standing in a take away queue, [...]

Can you tell for sure that no-one else is booked in for when you'll be there? Otherwise, being in an enclosed space with people breathing hard, probably unmasked, and sweating seems like a higher level of risk than standing in a queue outside the takeaway at 2m spacing.

Supermarkets and NHS sites vary too much to draw general points on risk IMO.

Yes. The gym is now appointment only and so I take advantage of the empty sessions. Never wear a mask. Given I do 8-10 gym sessions weekly during these reduced "Covid" times and haven't caught a virus yet, suggests that it's fairly safe.

In contrast, I went to the supermarket twelve days ago . Came across the first individual with an obvious cold, in several months ( Till Operator). He was behind a plastic screen. I was wearing a mask. I used a 80% alcohol hand cleaner immediately on leaving. On returning home, spent 1-2 minutes washing hands and then using hand cleaner again. Oh, and washed down the packaged shopping in a mild bleach solution. Left the fruit & veg 72 Hr's in a designated space to get slightly reduce the virus risk. I hada obvious symptoms of the first cold of the year by the end of a 48Hr period :wink:
ANTONISH

Re: Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Post by ANTONISH »

gbnz wrote:In contrast, I went to the supermarket twelve days ago . Came across the first individual with an obvious cold, in several months ( Till Operator). He was behind a plastic screen. I was wearing a mask. I used a 80% alcohol hand cleaner immediately on leaving. On returning home, spent 1-2 minutes washing hands and then using hand cleaner again. Oh, and washed down the packaged shopping in a mild bleach solution. Left the fruit & veg 72 Hr's in a designated space to get slightly reduce the virus risk. I hada obvious symptoms of the first cold of the year by the end of a 48Hr period :wink:

I've taken to using the self service checkout more often during the pandemic- can't do that in Aldi though.
Having said that, whatever precautions you take, you can only reduce the risk - not eliminate it.