New Bike Lust

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cooper_coleraine

New Bike Lust

Postby cooper_coleraine » 18 Oct 2020, 3:48pm

I find myself being tempted to buy a new bike. I do not need one and I like the bikes I have. I have two Raleigh Randonneurs (1987 and 1988 models).
Between them they have covered over 100,000 miles and they are in first class order. I have several other good machines. Nevertheless I hanker after a new machine. I have spent this afternoon cleaning them. This always makes me appreciate what I have. Is there a cure or should I give in? I am 82 and should know better. Our 'trade' magazine encourages me to stray. In normal times I do one Scottish tour each year and I cycle everyday for at least 20 miles.

Jdsk

Re: New Bike Lust

Postby Jdsk » 18 Oct 2020, 3:59pm

Admirable honesty. : - )

How about adding a recumbent?

Jonathan

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Oct 2020, 4:16pm

Buy a Moulton.
http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models.html

Not cheap though, and not ideal, but you can get hooked.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 18 Oct 2020, 6:40pm

Low stocks of bikes and frames everywhere!

peetee

Postby peetee » 18 Oct 2020, 6:43pm

[quote="cooper_coleraine”]I have two Raleigh Randonneurs (1987 and 1988 models). I have several other good machines.

Nevertheless I hanker after a new machine.[/quote]

You are deranged and I suggest you seek immediate help.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 18 Oct 2020, 7:03pm

'several other good machines'

Please, how many is "several" :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 18 Oct 2020, 7:12pm

philvantwo wrote:Low stocks of bikes and frames everywhere!

Buying a Brompton not so easy at the moment

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 18 Oct 2020, 7:46pm

Find a frame from your youth, 60 or 70s years ago, and build it with all the parts that you could not afford at the time. e.g. I have a 1956 Higgins dripping in 1960s Campag mainly. I certainly could not have dreamed of owning that when I started club riding.

peetee

Postby peetee » 18 Oct 2020, 10:07pm

tatanab wrote:Find a frame from your youth, 60 or 70s years ago, and build it with all the parts that you could not afford at the time. e.g. I have a 1956 Higgins dripping in 1960s Campag mainly. I certainly could not have dreamed of owning that when I started club riding.

I have two bikes like that. One is a Condor Professional the other a Colnago Super, both with Campagnolo Super Record groupsets. When they were top machines in the peloton I was bumbling around on a hi-tensile frame, plastic saddle, dual safety levers and stamped steel crankset. I got the Campagnolo parts on the super-cheap through the ‘back room’ of the bike shop I worked in. At the time loads of riders were trading in those parts for the new, aero, Corsa Record group.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 19 Oct 2020, 7:36am

cooper_coleraine wrote:I find myself being tempted to buy a new bike. I do not need one and I like the bikes I have. .

+ 1. Have to admit I'm the "tight" sort of individual, who owns six pairs of socks & 1 carrier bag. And I've never had the slightest interest in mountain bikes - but when a £200.00 mtb was advertised for £130.00 last week, vey unusually mounted with a quality rear deraileur etc, superb looking, flat barred full frame, fantastic colour scheme & shiny parts, I was struggling to resist the temptation to BUY. Thankfully after several days of resistence, the offer had been withdrawn by yesterday morning :(

But as above, a decent clean of an existing machine, stripping the bike down, adjusting it to ensure any excess wear in bearings etc is sorted, always helps (Nb. I need to buy a paint brush today and give the pannier rack a new coat of paint!). And fit a front reflector. Merely wish I hadn't "dumped" my Specialized Tricross framein 2015 when transferring all the parts to a Spa frameset !

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 19 Oct 2020, 8:02am

mercalia wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Low stocks of bikes and frames everywhere!

Buying a Brompton not so easy at the moment

Too right. Moving house end of year and need a brompton to travel to work after that. Unlikely I'll find one.

Secondhand recumbent from d-tek and Kevin I believe. They're fun. Got a touring recumbent for £500 and it's a great touring bike. Great fun riding. Just be prepared for people talking to anyone with you like you're disabled physically or mentally. "It's good they can get out like that!". :lol:

markjohnobrien

Postby markjohnobrien » 24 Oct 2020, 3:24pm

cooper_coleraine wrote:I find myself being tempted to buy a new bike. I do not need one and I like the bikes I have. I have two Raleigh Randonneurs (1987 and 1988 models).
Between them they have covered over 100,000 miles and they are in first class order. I have several other good machines. Nevertheless I hanker after a new machine. I have spent this afternoon cleaning them. This always makes me appreciate what I have. Is there a cure or should I give in? I am 82 and should know better. Our 'trade' magazine encourages me to stray. In normal times I do one Scottish tour each year and I cycle everyday for at least 20 miles.

A man of taste and distinction owning Raleigh Randonneurs as I have three:

One Blue 708 circa mid 90’s
Two Red 708 with Magura hydraulic rim brakes from 99/2000.

While Randonneurs (and you have the 531 version) are great bikes, if you want, hanker, or lust after a new one, go for it!

Do you mean a brand new bike or good quality second hand, as the latter is still a new bike.

Indulge yourself as there are some great bikes out there for every type of rider.

If you do get an additional bike, please update the thread.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Oct 2020, 4:34pm

I had my hand built JRJ - predecessor to Bob Jackson - stolen in the mid 1970s. Recent mention of the Closure of Bob Jackson has made me yearn to rebuild my lost bike. Very unlikely but I can dream.
John

honesty

Postby honesty » 24 Oct 2020, 5:08pm

I’m tempted by a new bike... but my wife won’t let me buy a Moto Guzzi ;)

peetee

Postby peetee » 24 Oct 2020, 5:49pm

Oldjohnw wrote:I had my hand built JRJ - predecessor to Bob Jackson - stolen in the mid 1970s. Recent mention of the Closure of Bob Jackson has made me yearn to rebuild my lost bike. Very unlikely but I can dream.

Don’t give up. Search the internet. I found my Rick Powell. I didn’t buy it in the end though. I made the mistake of telling the seller it was built for me and as a result he wouldn’t budge on the (already excessive) price.
Current status report: