Any recent experience of driving licence renewal?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Any recent experience of driving licence renewal?

Post by thirdcrank »

This is addressed to anybody in the over 70 age group (quite a few on here, I suspect) who has recently renewed their driving licence (probably fewer.)

I would by now have expected a printed application to renew but this hasn't happened this time round. I believe that the DVLA is largely operating online at the moment.

I have been online and it seems I'll get an automatic 11 month extension so perhaps I should forget it for now. However, it does say renewal will take longer so it can be done online at any time. I'm wary of staring the online process and then being unable to finish it eg downloading a mugshot.

So, has anybody done this online recently and did they encounter any snags?

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Jdsk

Re: Any recent experience of driving licence renewal?

Post by Jdsk »

You've spotted the extension.

This has very recently gone smoothly for a couple of friends.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a slight bit off topic here. I'm 68 next month.
My driving licence was renewed in 2014, so in 2022 when I turn 70, I'll only have had eight years when I paid for ten.

Mrs Mick F is in a worse situation. She renewed in 2014 also, and she'll renew again in 2024, but she turns 70 in 2026, so only gets two years for the price of ten! :shock:

We've appealed to DVLA about this situation, but they won't (and don't) give discounts.
This begs the question.
If you turn 70 only a few months after you've just renewed .......... you could feel that it wasn't worth renewing and letting your licence lapse instead. Mrs Mick F is seriously considering this.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote:You've spotted the extension.

This has very recently gone smoothly for a couple of friends.

Jonathan

Do you mean that the extension went smoothly or renewal? I'm not clear if the extension is a pessimistic estimate of how long it will be before an application made now will be processed, or a stab at when they hope to be back to normal.

FWIW, I only ever had a paper licence until the eve of my 70th birthday.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The renewal with medical self-declaration at 70y.

Jonathan

PS: Age UK general advice:
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/travel-hobbies/driving/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

regarding the mugshot, if you have a passport can they take the photo from that so you dont need to upload another one?
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

I suspect this will also affect anyone with a current photo ID licence after January 2021?They should be renewed every 10 years anyway but I still have 5 years to go on mine?
Are these to be another hidden cost of you know what?
Last edited by FerociousDog on 20 Oct 2020, 11:44am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have no passport. (FWIW, when I last renewed almost 3 years ago, the paper application form said I didn't need a new photo, the one I submitted one the eve of my 70th birthday would do.)

I suppose what I don't understand is does the extension amount to a new renewal date ie current three year licence now lasts 3 years 11 months, or is it just some period of grace while they get their act together? ie eventual renewal will run from original expiry date of current one.

And yes, I'm confused but even more, I'm cautious about not transgressing.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:regarding the mugshot, if you have a passport can they take the photo from that so you dont need to upload another one?

Yes, but you have to do an additional identity registration step to enable that.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe it would be simplest just to test drivers again, the theory test and multiple choice too
New licence valid for vehicles up to 3.5 t max weight only :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mick F wrote:Just a slight bit off topic here. I'm 68 next month.
My driving licence was renewed in 2014, so in 2022 when I turn 70, I'll only have had eight years when I paid for ten.
Mine ran out a few weeks ago. I was 68 last week and so have a brand new licence that is valid for only 2 years.

My passport was recent enough that they used that photograph and I was very surprised to receive my new licence in only about a week.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe it would be simplest just to test drivers again, the theory test and multiple choice too

Why would retesting be simpler than being required to complete an online form?

And if our some reason you want retesting it might be more sensible to start with groups known to be at higher than average risk.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I renewed months just a few months before I reached 70 . The new licence came back saying i'd renewed for 10 years but it expired in three months time.

I declared sleep apnea on the medical form which set a whole series of events going. It took nearly six months to get my licence back.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe it would be simplest just to test drivers again, the theory test and multiple choice too
New licence valid for vehicles up to 3.5 t max weight only :wink:

If there was to be any check on a person's ability to drive because of age a driving assessment based on the Pass Plus course would be better than a retest. It consists of over 5 hours of driving on all types of roads with a Pass Plus approved ADI in the passenger seat. This would serve two purposes by weeding out those genuinely no longer capable of driving safely and providing advice on bad habits and tips on better driving etc for those who are capable.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Like many others, my driving test consisted of reading a number plate, half-an-hour's driving (of which a seemingly interminable time was spent waiting for university students crossing the road behind the Parkinson Building) then three questions about the HC. My motorbike test had the same elements (without the students) and the examiner jumped out from behind a parked van with fear in his eyes for the emergency stop. Both tests passed first time.

I think resitting the theory elements at every licence renewal after passing the test would be a good idea to ensure people kept themselves up-to-date. I would see huge benefit in all drivers having a psychometric test, or at the very least after a bad crash and/ totting up disqualification. I don't see much value in a test of driving because it's a poor driver who cannot behave themselves for half-an-hour.