Exempt or not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Exempt or not?

Post by Ben@Forest »

peetee wrote:I know somebody who has a legitimate health-related reason not to wear a mask and received an exemption card from and for his place of work. He has travelled cross country on different regional railways unmasked and displaying the card on a lanyard and not had an issue as yet despite the fact that it is not a universally recognised certificate.

Well l don't know all the circumstances but yesterday someone got chucked off a train for being unmasked. It doesn't seem he should have to prove he doesn't have to wear one and in any case it's easy to fraudulently say (or wear a card) to say you don't.

Maybe he was a bolshie git who wanted an argument; though from what l saw of him he was over 60, well dressed with good quality luggage (though I guess many bolshie gits on here could match that description!). On the other hand it could have been a guard who thrives on petty officialdom - and that does exist.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Among my extended family there exists, within the same household both extremes. - the over 65 bolshie git who has acquired a sunflower lanyard to go along with their very recently acquired 'asthma'. There's also the younger - soon to go to university - family member with severe, long standing (and very genuine) anxiety, who cannot wear a mask without collapsing.
Which one gets the grief when out & about?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sad, but very true I'm sure. :evil:

Just reading this whole thread has put my heart-rate up. Just even THINKING about wearing a mask does it.
I can cope, so I'm not going to get a certificate or anything, but if I had to go on the train for hours, I would do.

Shopping, visiting the pub etc, I'm happy to wear a mask because it isn't long.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

There are guards who will deny travel with unusual valid tickets, or bikes on trains where they're allowed, so it's not a surprise if there are ones doing making up mask rules.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If someone can't wear a mask for whatever reason what's to stop them wearing one of these? Not that I'm particularly in favour of compulsory mask wearing.

Last edited by pete75 on 22 Oct 2020, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The salient point here is that the OP simply does not know what happened.
Does not even know if the person in question was mask-less!

Overheard parts of conversations almost inevitably lead to false or inaccurate conclusions.
Maybe the person had no valid ticket!!

As far as mask wearing goes; I have worn masks a great deal in my working life to protect my lungs from dust. They are a necessary PITA in many manual jobs.
Cyclists wear them sometimes in polluted cities.

I shopped in quiet shops without a mask before the introduction of a mask requirement.
As soon as it became law I wore one always.
Just that.

The idea is to try to help stop the spread of serious disease in the wider population.
Can't see a problem with it.

Valid exemption reasons, politely given, will be fine I think.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have an exemption certificate from the Asthma Society but I never use it. But then, I rarely go anywhere I need to use it.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Asthma Society.
Can you join it?
From what I see of their website, it would appear not, but they do want donations.
https://www.asthma.org.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Asthma Society.
Can you join it?
From what I see of their website, it would appear not, but they do want donations.
https://www.asthma.org.uk

I just get info by email. I have sent them donations because they have been extremely helpful. I was directed there by my GP.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:If someone can't wear a mask for whatever reason what's to stop them wearing one of these? Not that I'm particularly in favour of compulsory mask wearing.

I think there was a report that they are not effective as any drops can escape below , maybe an astronuts helmet?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The salient point here is that the OP simply does not know what happened.
Does not even know if the person in question was mask-less!

Overheard parts of conversations almost inevitably lead to false or inaccurate conclusions.
Maybe the person had no valid ticket!!

Not quite. I know that over the PA there were a series of mask warnings of increasing intensity - which eventually included phrases like 'it's not hard to wear a mask'. The train stopped for an unusually long time at a scheduled stop, passengers got on or off and there were raised voices about getting off the train which eventually led to a single person getting off. After that the guard stopped issuing mask warnings over the PA. I think that's reasonable cause and effect.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Maybe, yet one could construe the repeated announcements as super polite?
And not singling anyone out, but a memory jog to the forgetful. It does happen to lesser mortals once in a while. :shock:

Nevertheless it remains uncertain as the person concerned was not seen full face as stated in initial post.

It's a tough job being a train guard.
I personally have seen one (lightly) assaulted by fare refusers on a Saturday night.
Sad.