Desperate to be Saved?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
workhard

Post by workhard »

thirdcrank wrote:
drossall wrote: I am The Official Cyclist in the congregation.

What does that involve?

I'm our community's "unOfficial Cyclist" which means I get asked to fix/adjust people's bikes, organise easy-peasey-lemon-squeezey cycle runs with 3 hour pub stops, advise on purchases, comment on Le tour, judge Solomon-like the relative moral value of rechargeable batteries vs disposable batteries vs sidewall dyno's and listen to people ranting about RLJ's and pavement bandits.

All a bit odd as I almost never, ever, cycle to Church on a Sunday.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

if jesus was about today...

do you think hed cycle???

i reckon hed be a hybrid man
:lol: :lol: :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
mhara

Post by mhara »

lauriematt wrote:if jesus was about today...

Cycle? Definitely :lol:
Hybrid? No way :o

He'd have a rebuild tourer rescued from a skip with parts sourced at a local recycling centre. 8) Enduring and doesn't cost the earth.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

workhard wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

What does that involve?

I'm our community's "unOfficial Cyclist" which means I get asked to fix/adjust people's bikes, organise easy-peasey-lemon-squeezey cycle runs with 3 hour pub stops, advise on purchases, comment on Le tour, judge Solomon-like the relative moral value of rechargeable batteries vs disposable batteries vs sidewall dyno's and listen to people ranting about RLJ's and pavement bandits.

*Our* local version of you has been asked to run a 'cycle surgery' at the school to teach us all basic repair/maintenance skills.

I think that would be most useful and would be there, with my children.
Dee
drossall

Post by drossall »

thirdcrank wrote:

What does that involve?

Not even as much as others have suggested. If someone said "Name a cyclist in the congregation", my name would probably come up but, as I suggested, there are quite a number of others whose bikes are seen in the church at least as often.

The minister, for a start...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presumed - especially with your use of capital letters - that somebody had given you some specific role.
workhard

Post by workhard »

Dee Jay wrote:
workhard wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

What does that involve?

*Our* local version of you has been asked to run a 'cycle surgery' at the school to teach us all basic repair/maintenance skills.

My fellow Godbotherers looked on in awe when, on a group ride with some of them a few weeks back, having snapped my chain I simply repaired it and carried on.
workhard

Post by workhard »

I reckon he'd borrow something very cool and chi-chi from one of his wealthy women friends
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

workhard wrote:
Dee Jay wrote:
workhard wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

What does that involve?

My fellow Godbotherers looked on in awe when, on a group ride with some of them a few weeks back, having snapped my chain I simply repaired it and carried on.

I am impressed as well! :wink:

My daughter (11) was lucky enough to do her Cycling Proficiency Test (or does it have a new fancy name?) and was taught this sort of basic maintainence.

My son (9) has missed out on this as we have moved and their new school isn't doing this course. A pity, as I can see a big difference in the way he rides compared to her. Although, I know that this is partly to do with both age and temperament.

(Apologies for the thread hi-jack! :D )
Dee
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

Being a rebel against earthly authority, I'm certain that whatever the bike was, it would only have a single pannier, and he probably wouldn't bother with a helmet either!
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

There is a biblical reference to God riding in Triumph, also another about arriving in Concord, so feel free to make your own mind up about what Jesus would ride in.

Having got speaking to a church minister at a model railway exhibition, the gentleman was carefully holding the O gauge locomotive that he owned, I just had to ask him, "What is it with this connection between railways and vicars?"
To which he replied, "Simple, they both get you to the right destination!"
Of course, I will always hold that GRW really stands for (here it comes)
God's Wonderful Railway! Yeah :D

My chain fell off,
my-y bike roll-oled free-e-e.
I came off, hit the road and grazed my knee.

(adapted for one of my fave trad hymns, 'And can it be')

Alan
Si

Post by Si »

Well, what ever He would ride, i bet He'd wear shimano SPD sandals to do it.
mhara

Post by mhara »

Si wrote:Well, what ever He would ride, i bet He'd wear shimano SPD sandals to do it.

Hmmmmm.... OKay....., but what about lycra. Would he wear lycra?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

mhara wrote:Hmmmmm.... OKay....., but what about lycra. Would he wear lycra?

Kevlar, I should have thought.
But He wouldn't be able to use a helmet, now would He? :lol: