Desperate to be Saved?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DaveP

Desperate to be Saved?

Post by DaveP »

Yetserday (Sunday) morning I was driving along a road quite near home. I was having some difficulty in keeping a sensible separation between my car and the one in front, as the driver was one of those who seem unable to control their speed for more than a couple of seconds at a time.
As we approached the crest of a hill he suddenly put his foot down, scorched away for about a hundred yards then braked violently, swung into a gateway and indicated. In that order.
As he turned I could see a car on the other side of the road signalling to turn right into the same gateway. My man had obviously decided he needed to get there first.
"No surprises" you're thinking. "Why did he bother to type all this?"
And normally I would be saying the same.
But this was the church carpark :?
Si

Post by Si »

Oh, don't get me started about church car parks. The one that I sometimes ride past on a Sunday morning is terrifying. More cars than spaces so they just drive round in circles, drive in and reverse out several times, park all over the verges out side, and all with out seeming to look to see if they are about to run some unlucky pasing cyclist off the road.

You'd think that these so-called Christians, wanting to respect God's great creation that is this world, would consider actually walking to their local church and save on the environmental damage and resource useage that these short needless car journeys cause. I think some of them must do more mileage driving around the car park than they do from their houses to the church.

Note: this isn't a ran against church goers, Christians or religion in general, just the ones that try to kill me each Sunday morning.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I walk to church
workhard

Post by workhard »

numbnuts wrote:I walk to church

And so do I and when I don't, as carrying an bass, and amp, etc.. is a chore on foot, we car share.

But a good point is made about Sunday (morning) driving standards amonsget Christians as people regularly seem to try to run me down in the car park. Our tree-hugging pastor's most controversial sermon of all time was the one on "Why do you all drive to Church? Let's sell the car park and build social housing on it!"

But why don't you cycle? :wink:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

workhard wrote:[Our tree-hugging pastor's most controversial sermon of all time was the one on "Why do you all drive to Church? Let's sell the car park and build social housing on it!"

I bet that went down well!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
workhard

Post by workhard »

fatboy wrote:
workhard wrote:[Our tree-hugging pastor's most controversial sermon of all time was the one on "Why do you all drive to Church? Let's sell the car park and build social housing on it!"

I bet that went down well!

We still have the car park. We no longer have the pastor. Shame in my book but.....
Dean

Re: Desperate to be Saved?

Post by Dean »

DaveP wrote:Yetserday (Sunday) morning I was driving along a road quite near home. I was having some difficulty in keeping a sensible separation between my car and the one in front, as the driver was one of those who seem unable to control their speed for more than a couple of seconds at a time.
As we approached the crest of a hill he suddenly put his foot down, scorched away for about a hundred yards then braked violently, swung into a gateway and indicated. In that order.
As he turned I could see a car on the other side of the road signalling to turn right into the same gateway. My man had obviously decided he needed to get there first.
"No surprises" you're thinking. "Why did he bother to type all this?"
And normally I would be saying the same.
But this was the church carpark :?

Was he asking for sanctuary? Were the rozzers after him?
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

This practising Christian chooses to walk to church each Sunday morning, the exception being when it is absolyutely 'tipping it down' or if we are going to be late, 'cos my Lady cannot walk as fast as me.
It could be that just a few of the Christian Sunday drivers have to drive because they might be carrying an elderly person, musical instruments for the band, carrying the refreshments for afterwards, or taking the youth group bowling afterwards.

Alan
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I didnt wish to comment on religious observance (each to his own!), unnecessary car use (we're all guilty) or even poor driving (see worse daily).
I just found myself unable to imagine how anyone could reconcile indulging in such aggressive selfishness with joining the other driver "in fellowship" minutes later.
Totally bemused. When I were a lad going to church called for nearly as much decorum as being there.

I hadnt realised that churches could be a focus of danger. Thanks for the tip off!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it often happens that when people are attending some sort of event which is important to them, they forget that life continues normally for everybody else. Also, people going anywhere by car - the school run being the obvious example - often feel obliged to get as near to the door as possible. (And this sort of thing can be bad for people in wheelchairs etc.)

(Perhaps in the case of church parking there is an element of 'holier than thou.' :wink: )
dodger

Post by dodger »

Why seal yourself inside a building when you can appreciate God's work in the great outdoors? I can recall a multitude of sundays as a lad bored rigid in church just waiting to get out in the fresh air - the feeling persists and Sunday is the one day I always try to get out on the bike.
mhara

Post by mhara »

dodger wrote:Why seal yourself inside a building when you can appreciate God's work in the great outdoors? I can recall a multitude of sundays as a lad bored rigid in church just waiting to get out in the fresh air - the feeling persists and Sunday is the one day I always try to get out on the bike.

The Veldt.By Percival Gibbon
From the anthology South African Poetry and Verse,
selected by E H Crouch, 1907

Cast the window wider, sonny,
Let me see the veldt,
Rolling grandly to the sunset
Where the mountains melt,
With the sharp horizon round it,
Like a silver belt.

Years and years I've trekked across it,
Ridden back and fore,
Till the silence and the glamour
Ruled me to the core;
No man ever knew it better;
None could love it more.

There's a balm for crippled spirits
In the open view,
Running from your very footsteps
Out into the blue,
Like a wagon-track to heaven,
Straight 'twixt God and you.

There's a magic, soul-compelling,
In the boundless space,
And it grows upon you, sonny,
Like a woman's face -
Passionate and pale and tender,
With a marble grace.

There's the sum of all religion
In its mightiness;
Winged truths, beyond your doubting,
Close about you press.
God is greater in the open -
Little man is less.

There's a voice pervades its stillness,
Wonderful and clear;
Tongues of prophets and of angels,
Whispering far and near,
Speak an everlasting gospel
To the spirit's ear.

There's a sense you gather, sonny,
In the open air;
Shift your burden ere it break you:
God will take His share.
Keep your end up for your own sake;
All the rest's His care.

There’s a promise, if you need it,
For the time to come;
All the veldt is loud and vocal
Where the Bible’s dumb.
Heaven is paved with gold for parsons,
But it’s grassed for some.

There’s a spot I know of, sonny,
Yonder by the stream;
Bushes handy for the fire,
Water for the team.
By the old home outspan, sonny,
Let me lie and dream.
drossall

Post by drossall »

numbnuts wrote:I walk to church

I cycle to church.

Sorry, but nobody had said that yet :D

Actually, quite a few do so more often than I do, and I am The Official Cyclist in the congregation.

That's not to say that a lot don't drive - but as others have said, some are elderly or transporting those who need a lift.

As to the original post, we all have our blind spots.
glueman

Post by glueman »

I'm surprised how many practicing Christians there are on this thread, most cycling boards are havens of scientific rationalism and Dawkinsian zeal. It's the cogs and stuff you know.
On the OPs point I confess church congregations at chucking out time are one of my danger signals on a bike. The mix of a morally rejuvenated squirarchy, a mature age profile, the sudden rush of fresh air, freshly polished cars and the promise of a Sunday Roast or a pint in the Rose and Crown tend to make them a bit skittish.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

drossall wrote: I am The Official Cyclist in the congregation.

What does that involve?