Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote:If you want to learn anything about us via our sewerage, you're going to have to dig up our septic tank.
Been here 24years this spring. 1997 to 2021.
Previous people were here from 1967, and the septic tank was installed by them .............. and never ever been opened.

54years of un-interesting sewerage?

That's a load o shyte
I am here. Where are you?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cowsham wrote:
Mick F wrote:If you want to learn anything about us via our sewerage, you're going to have to dig up our septic tank.
Previous people were here from 1967, and the septic tank was installed by them .............. and never ever been opened.

That's a load o shyte

As is probably the land below Mick's poor old clogged tank. Even just unthinking visitors gambling with iffy toilet waste will probably have filled that over 50 years!

In other news, Belgium is using spit tests for schools.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just out of interest do septic tanks get inspected in the UK?
In France (the home of smelly sewage) they get inspected every 5 years and you are expected to have had them cleaned out in the time with a bill to prove it.
We had a very old system that I put off replacing as we were due to go onto mains drainage. No more smelly tank now we're connected but the water bill doubled!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I used to have a septic tank, located in a small woods on my land. Never inspected but cleaned every few years. Little evidence of content inside as it did its job (pun intended) properly. I also had a private water supply which was tested regularly for nitrates and my then young children had fluoride tablets.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote:Just out of interest do septic tanks get inspected in the UK?

"Septic tanks and treatment plants: permits and general binding rules"
https://www.gov.uk/permits-you-need-for-septic-tanks

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Looking through social media it seems most of my peers have either had the jab or are days away.

What's interesting is the general "it's all over" vibe I'm getting from their posts.
Holidays are being planned, gigs booked, barbeques dusted off...

I don't think people really understand what's going on.
The numbers currently aren't great, likely we'll see a rise now schools are back. Most adults won't be vaccinated for a while yet so there's a pool of carriers combined with increased virality.
The vaccine is by no means fool proof and we'll see an increasing number of vaccinated and unvaccinated people mixing with all the potential for new vaccine proof strains that presents.

I predict it isn't going to end well.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:What's interesting is the general "it's all over" vibe I'm getting from their posts.

The numbers currently aren't great, likely we'll see a rise now schools are back. Most adults won't be vaccinated for a while yet so there's a pool of carriers combined with increased virality.
The vaccine is by no means fool proof and we'll see an increasing number of vaccinated and unvaccinated people mixing with all the potential for new vaccine proof strains that presents.

You're not alone in your concerns. And we should be discussing them now.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My understanding with this another vaccinations is that if the number of those vaccinated is below a certain critical level the virus still has scope to find hosts. It can then mutate to survive - that's what viruses do - and sooner or later it will get around a vaccine.

Then those who are vaccine refusers will say, "See, I told you it didn't work!".

And there's always a small number for whom it doesn't work: we already know it is not 100% effective.

I'm hoping Jonathan will assist in my understanding
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:
kwackers wrote:What's interesting is the general "it's all over" vibe I'm getting from their posts.

You're not alone in your concerns. And we should be discussing them now.

Jonathan

Have you checked out that last IOM covid update I posted above -- it's very interesting about the way transmission is progressing -- their track and trace is so revealing. Because of how closed off and controlled that community is it makes the T&T worth doing and I think the rest of the world should be learning from them.

Not how to do T&T cos it wouldn't be as valuable elsewhere, but the results that are coming back from their studies are so clear.

Pay attention to what Henrietta says there's no bull shyte with her. Also what she says about the other countries halting the AZ vaccines cos of blood clot scare.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cowsham wrote:Have you checked out that last IOM covid update I posted above -- it's very interesting about the way transmission is progressing -- their track and trace is so revealing. Because of how closed off and controlled that community is it makes the T&T worth doing and I think the rest of the world should be learning from them.

Not how to do T&T cos it wouldn't be as valuable elsewhere, but the results that are coming back from their studies are so clear.

Pay attention to what Henrietta says there's no bull shyte with her. Also what she says about the other countries halting the AZ vaccines cos of blood clot scare.

I would have done but it was an hour long - sorry.

I *assume* it says that their track and trace system works - that's certainly the impression I've gotten from the news snippets I see.
I fully expect them to have it under control pretty shortly.

IOM is also a stark reminder of how contagious it can be.

The problem is we've given up on that.
Numbers really aren't falling very fast at all and it's pretty widespread.

As it stands we're completely reliant on luck.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:My understanding with this another vaccinations is that if the number of those vaccinated is below a certain critical level the virus still has scope to find hosts. It can then mutate to survive - that's what viruses do - and sooner or later it will get around a vaccine.

The more virus there is the greater the chance of new variants. I wouldn't agree that anything such as greater pathogenicity or vaccine escape is inevitable.
And there's an international aspect to this. Gloating about lower vaccination rates in eg other European countries is misguided as well as nasty.

Oldjohnw wrote:And there's always a small number for whom it doesn't work: we already know it is not 100% effective.

Yes. The early vaccines have been staggeringly effective but we should expect less than 100% efficacy in the foreseeable future.

Oldjohnw wrote:My understanding with this another vaccinations is that if the number of those vaccinated is below a certain critical level the virus still has scope to find hosts. It can then mutate to survive - that's what viruses do - and sooner or later it will get around a vaccine.

That's one of the places where that national debate and understanding is needed... what's the intended endgame... eradication, control, control by population immunity?

Oldjohnw wrote:Then those who are vaccine refusers will say, "See, I told you it didn't work!".

I'd separate those who are opposed to vaccination and those who are hesitant...

... getting the logic to "See, I told you it didn't work!" would at least imply some form of engagement in discussion...

Jonathan
Debs

Post by Debs »

Another group of people who will probably miss out on the vaccine are illegal migrants.

It's not know how many illegal or "unauthorised" migrants exist in the UK, but estimates vary around 800k give or take a few 100k (?)

It's doubtful many will come forward voluntary for the jab, even with a 'no deportation risk'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55978334
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It happens that the people I know who aren’t having the vaccination are total opposers - and Covid deniers.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Debs wrote:Another group of people who will probably miss out on the vaccine are illegal migrants.

It's not know how many illegal or "unauthorised" migrants exist in the UK, but estimates vary around 800k give or take a few 100k (?)

It's doubtful many will come forward voluntary for the jab, even with a 'no deportation risk'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55978334

That's a good point Debs --

pertaining to that -- I would have been an anti vaxer since I got a flu jab about 30 years ago, got floored for a fortnight and since then hadn't taken any offered even though I was chronic asthmatic.

Oct 19 my 13y old son was supposed to get a flu jab ( which he got every year ) and because of a communication mix up didn't.

In Nov 19 he contracted a swine flu variant and being asthmatic it almost killed him. I must be immune or my system dealt with it successfully cos I was with him 24/7 in icu. My wife and one other son took it bad too.

The more I read up about it I came to the realization maybe part of the reason I never take flu's is because of other people's immunity due to the flu vaccine.

I'm hoping that if most people or at least the main cohort get vaccinated there'll be a tipping point where the virus won't have enough hosts to continue mutating.