Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by simonineaston »

Times reports that Johnson to make an announcement on Monday - another lockdown, starting Wed, up until 1 Dec only, he not wanting to be the Grinch That Stole Chistmas... 'educational establishments' to stay open.
Last edited by Graham on 5 Jan 2021, 10:42am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title update - another lockdown
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pebble

Re: Next lockdown, due to C19...

Post by Pebble »

it's starting to get out of control again so he may very well go for another lockdown - doubt he will get the co-operation from the general public this time.

It may lead to a slight lull for xmas then all the festive celebrations will be like a giant Covid bomb going off with utter chaos by the end of January.

Starting to wonder if we will have an economy come the spring - what a mess we are heading towards.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Only eight weeks too late, by 2025 whoever is in #10 might start acting when the scientific advice is that the action must be taken now.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

We have had governments who were happy to involve us in wars for what I would classify as party political reasons, but it's been a very long time simce we had a prime minister with the neck to insist that "you shall not have jolly hols this year..."
Its getting steadily harder to distinguish between the scarecrow and the orange idiot.

And they're both personally broke :roll:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

stock up again?
peetee

Post by peetee »

mercalia wrote:stock up again?

That’s an anagram of “panic buy”.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It's tedious Johnson leaking to the press what he might be doing, causing turmoil for so many due to uncertainty. He has been told for weeks to shut down but instead has just played around. We have had three months of half hearted shutdown. Extreme at one level but lax in other areas.

Now the whole of Europe is going one country at at time into lockdown. But he will plough ahead with Brexit. Much more important than saving lives.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Although it's not popular to extend sympathy to Johnson - 'specially as he's surrounded by such hard-to-like individuals, eg Patel, Cummings & Raab, etc. - I wouldn't have his job for a big pig! He cannot win against this little bug. The Sage can't tell him anything he wants to hear, there will be no let up from C19 until there's a vaccine, without periodical lockdowns, hospitals will flood and primary health care will cease to cope, the population will soon run out of patience, his cronies' TTT swallows billions and doesn't work and to cap it all, it's starting to look like any immunity aquired by infection wears off pretty smartly! (A friend of mine who 'does' immunity for a living attempted to explain it all to me the other day, but I have to confess I glazed over after about 5 minutes) :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pwa

Post by pwa »

simonineaston wrote:Times reports that Johnson to make an announcement on Monday - another lockdown, starting Wed, up until 1 Dec only, he not wanting to be the Grinch That Stole Chistmas... 'educational establishments' to stay open.

When we in Wales got news of our own Wales-wide lockdown I wondered how long it would be before England would have to follow suit. It looks like coming a couple of weeks earlier than I thought. Boris should have done this a week or two back and taken advantage of the schools being off for half term. Oh well, strap in because it's going to be a bumpy ride.
pwa

Post by pwa »

peetee wrote:
mercalia wrote:stock up again?

That’s an anagram of “panic buy”.

And completely unnecessary. Groceries are being produced and distributed as normal, or at a higher rate than normal in the case of bog rolls, so the only thing that can produce a (temporary) shortage on the shelves is idiots "stocking up" faster than supermarket staff can restock the shelves. Calm down!

Nobody is going to ban going to the shops for groceries.
pwa

Post by pwa »

simonineaston wrote:Although it's not popular to extend sympathy to Johnson - 'specially as he's surrounded by such hard-to-like individuals, eg Patel, Cummings & Raab, etc. - I wouldn't have his job for a big pig! He cannot win against this little bug. The Sage can't tell him anything he wants to hear, there will be no let up from C19 until there's a vaccine, without periodical lockdowns, hospitals will flood and primary health care will cease to cope, the population will soon run out of patience, his cronies' TTT swallows billions and doesn't work and to cap it all, it's starting to look like any immunity aquired by infection wears off pretty smartly! (A friend of mine who 'does' immunity for a living attempted to explain it all to me the other day, but I have to confess I glazed over after about 5 minutes) :roll:

I imagine it is like catching a cold, then having some level of resistance to colds for a while. But you know that at some point in the future you will not have enough immunity to avoid catching a cold again. The bottom line is that herd immunity is not a realistic prospect.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

simonineaston wrote:Although it's not popular to extend sympathy to Johnson - 'specially as he's surrounded by such hard-to-like individuals, eg Patel, Cummings & Raab, etc. - I wouldn't have his job for a big pig! He cannot win against this little bug. The Sage can't tell him anything he wants to hear, there will be no let up from C19 until there's a vaccine, without periodical lockdowns, hospitals will flood and primary health care will cease to cope, the population will soon run out of patience, his cronies' TTT swallows billions and doesn't work and to cap it all, it's starting to look like any immunity aquired by infection wears off pretty smartly! (A friend of mine who 'does' immunity for a living attempted to explain it all to me the other day, but I have to confess I glazed over after about 5 minutes) :roll:

No sympathy from me! He wanted the job but didn't realise it meant he'd have to do something.
Unless I'm wrong he gets to choose his cabinet and advisers.
There isn't going to be nationwide lock down, Boris told us only yesterday!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote:... it's starting to look like any immunity aquired by infection wears off pretty smartly!

Reports of decreasing level of circulating antibody such as the one below do NOT necessarily mean that immunity is wearing off in the same way, and do NOT mean that a vaccination programme can't be effective.

Jonathan

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-0405-3
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Johnson and Sunak saying we can't afford lockdown is like the British Government in 1940 saying, we can't afford any more Spitfires.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Reports of decreasing level of circulating antibody such as the one below do NOT necessarily mean that immunity is wearing off in the same way, and do NOT mean that a vaccination programme can't be effective.
See?! Told you it was difficult to understand... :roll: I'm going back to putting me winter tyres on.
S