Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 12:30pm Harry has said he's flying back to the UK for the funeral but with the funeral only 6 days away how is he going to quarantine for 10 days after entry to UK?
I guess he is betting on a negative test and being released from quarantine after 5 days?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... nal-travel

And maybe he is classed as a "Crown servant" for the funeral? They are exempt anyway, for some reason.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 4:45pm
Psamathe wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 12:30pm Harry has said he's flying back to the UK for the funeral but with the funeral only 6 days away how is he going to quarantine for 10 days after entry to UK?
I guess he is betting on a negative test and being released from quarantine after 5 days?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... nal-travel

And maybe he is classed as a "Crown servant" for the funeral? They are exempt anyway, for some reason.
My interpretation of the "Crown servant" exemption is that it would not cover him (given he has broken from the Royal Family ...)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules#crown-servants-or-government-contractors wrote:
  • a Crown servant or government contractor travelling to the UK for essential government work or returning from such work outside the UK, or
  • returning from conducting essential state business outside of the UK, or
  • returning to the UK where this is necessary to facilitate the functioning of a diplomatic mission or consular post of Her Majesty or of a military/other official posting on behalf of Her Majesty
If he's looking to do the 5 days (given that you can take the test after being here for 5 days (do they do "same day results"?) he'll have to get here pretty soon.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I'm starting to wonder if when I fell off my bike in January 2020, I've not woken up yet and this has all been some horrible weird dream. Don't know which would be the worse scenario.
Last edited by Cowsham on 12 Apr 2021, 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Harry has said he's flying back to the UK for the funeral ... (etc)
This seems to cover it:
Mourners coming from outside England

If you have travelled to England from any country that is not exempt from the requirement to self-isolate, you are required to self-isolate from arrival and for the first full 10 days after you arrive. However, you can leave your place of self-isolation in limited circumstances, including on compassionate grounds. This includes attending a funeral of a household member, a close family member or a friend (if neither household member or close family member can attend the funeral).

You must continue to self-isolate at all other times.

If you are arriving from a country that is not exempt from the requirement to self-isolate, you may be able to leave self-isolation at an earlier stage if you have participated in the Test to Release for International Travel Scheme.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-pandemic
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:02pm
If he's looking to do the 5 days (given that you can take the test after being here for 5 days (do they do "same day results"?) he'll have to get here pretty soon.
BBC TV says Harry is already here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:10pm I'm starting to wonder if when I fell off my bike in January 2020, I've not woken up yet and this has all been some horrible weird dream. Don't know which would be the worse scenario.
I asked a friend to give me a slap to see if I was still in a coma and wake me up but he said he couldn't cos it would flout the socially distant rules.

So I still don't know :?
Last edited by Cowsham on 12 Apr 2021, 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It will be interesting to see what happens to the spread of the disease as we "unlock". We've all been sold vaccination as the answer to our freedom but it can go both ways. Israel has a higher vaccination level than UK and is unlocking without problems. BUT Chile (which also has a higher level of vaccination than the UK) is seeing a massive climb in cases despite more vaccinated people (per 100 population) than UK. Chile's soaring cases has been blamed on variants, more people travelling more and lower adherence to social distancing - all of which could also be a risk to the UK.

(By "level of vaccination" I mean number of vaccinated people per 1000 population).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Apple and Google block NHS Covid app update over privacy breaches":
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... y-breaches

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 3:26pm "Apple and Google block NHS Covid app update over privacy breaches":
Yep, caught with their hand in people's personal details, again. Bang to rights. Is this why they so readily agreed to suspend press conferences during the national mourning?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 3:38pm
Jdsk wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 3:26pm "Apple and Google block NHS Covid app update over privacy breaches":
Yep, caught with their hand in people's personal details, again. Bang to rights. Is this why they so readily agreed to suspend press conferences during the national mourning?
There is some weird stuff going on with "National Mourning" - like why make it difficult for people with a disability to book train tickets online? Why don't they want disabled people travelling during "National Mourning".

But the app issue just another demonstration of how UK Gov. has no idea whatsoever about the concept of "privacy".

Ian
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:32am It will be interesting to see what happens to the spread of the disease as we "unlock". We've all been sold vaccination as the answer to our freedom but it can go both ways. Israel has a higher vaccination level than UK and is unlocking without problems. BUT Chile (which also has a higher level of vaccination than the UK) is seeing a massive climb in cases despite more vaccinated people (per 100 population) than UK. Chile's soaring cases has been blamed on variants, more people travelling more and lower adherence to social distancing - all of which could also be a risk to the UK.

(By "level of vaccination" I mean number of vaccinated people per 1000 population).

Ian
I agree on the grave risk of opening up the economy and reducing lockdown too quickly.

I have little time for the lobbying of the hospitality industry who have launched a judicial review against the “unfairness” of restrictions against pubs and restaurants.

Shows the need for reform of judicial review as it indulges the frivolous, the time wasters, and politically motivated.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

markjohnobrien wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 3:59pm
Psamathe wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:32am It will be interesting to see what happens to the spread of the disease as we "unlock". We've all been sold vaccination as the answer to our freedom but it can go both ways. Israel has a higher vaccination level than UK and is unlocking without problems. BUT Chile (which also has a higher level of vaccination than the UK) is seeing a massive climb in cases despite more vaccinated people (per 100 population) than UK. Chile's soaring cases has been blamed on variants, more people travelling more and lower adherence to social distancing - all of which could also be a risk to the UK.

Ian
I agree on the grave risk of opening up the economy and reducing lockdown too quickly.

I have little time for the lobbying of the hospitality industry who have launched a judicial review against the “unfairness” of restrictions against pubs and restaurants.

Shows the need for reform of judicial review as it indulges the frivolous, the time wasters, and politically motivated.
I also have little time for the ongoing pressure from the hospitality industry. They seem only concerned about their profits and no concern for the deaths and health impacts they'd cause without the restrictions (impacts that would affect far wider groups than those visiting their establishments). But if they want a judicial review then fine, I support them being able to. I don't believe they will get anywhere and they have to recognise the risk of a societal backlash when they start getting e.g.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eat-out-to-help-out-second-wave-coronavirus-rishi-sunak-covid-b1446586.html wrote:The UK government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme caused a "significant" increase in new coronavirus cases, a new study has found, and contributed to the “acceleration” of the pandemic.
They (hospitality industry) don't seem to appreciate that people die from Covid and many who don't suffer for extended debilitating impacts for ages with long covid (including younger people).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The effects of financial ruin on people don't count?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 4:44pm The effects of financial ruin on people don't count?
I regard people dying and suffering long term debilitating disease and disability as more significant than business that could have rescue packages to help them through (oh, they did have rescue packages to help them through which is more than many small independent self employed had). Even more so when those using hospitality can pass on the disease to others doing e.g. essential shopping so the actions of e.g. pub goers can be killing (or long Covid'ing) people who chose to stay safe and not partake.

It's a question of choices. We are fortunate in the UK in that we are in a position to make such choices. Not every economy in the world has the same resources available.

Edit: Remember that proper socially distanced meals with all safeguards
The University of Warwick research suggests that the government scheme may be responsible for eight to 17 per cent of newly detected Covid-19 clusters in August and early September.
Long-Covid is estimated at 10%-20% of people testing +vs for Covid and younger age groups (35-49) suffer worse.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 12 Apr 2021, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Financial ruin to ordinary people can result in more than a minor inconvenience.