Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cowsham wrote:Now Boris says we'll get a third wave because the continent is infested with covid -- I think it's to have an excuse ready for the fallout from schools going back.

As usual you can tell that he is lying.

The third wave has nothing to do with what is happening on the continent, there is no known case of covid travelling 22 miles across the sea to infect anyone.
It's all to do with the lack of controls in place in this country.

We're still not even reliably quarantining everyone coming back from even the "red list" countries, and all other quarantines are in name only, not in practise (there is no point in getting people off a plane from a red list country and then letting even one of them travel to "where they will be staying" before quarantining.
From most of the world of course they don't even need to bother with that, you just come into the country and take public transport to wherever, and sort of hope they don't go out much.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Now Boris says we'll get a third wave because the continent is infested with covid -- I think it's to have an excuse ready for the fallout from schools going back.

As usual you can tell that he is lying.

The third wave has nothing to do with what is happening on the continent, there is no known case of covid travelling 22 miles across the sea to infect anyone.
It's all to do with the lack of controls in place in this country.

We're still not even reliably quarantining everyone coming back from even the "red list" countries, and all other quarantines are in name only, not in practise (there is no point in getting people off a plane from a red list country and then letting even one of them travel to "where they will be staying" before quarantining.
From most of the world of course they don't even need to bother with that, you just come into the country and take public transport to wherever, and sort of hope they don't go out much.

You'll get your ticket paid for you as well.
I am here. Where are you?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Having firstly 'allowed' Easter to happen, then 'cancelling' Easter, Merkel has said it was a mistake and it's back on. The auto-translation from Die Tageszeitung headline:

Merkel calls Easter rest "mistake"
The Chancellor withdraws the decision to open an Easter lockdown and apologizes to the citizens. Too many questions could not have been answered.

The 'too many questions' appears to relate more to shopping, wages and businesses than Covid infections. And the German Catholic Church was already furious about an Easter lockdown.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, +++ Cowsham, spot on. MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cowsham wrote:Politicians are people who are too stupid to be able to get a real job. They're only talent is being able to lie with a straight face. There should be a competence exam.

I suspect there's more than a hint of Dunning Kruger there.

I've spoken to a number of politicians face to face and the one thing they're not is stupid.
Their goals may not align with yours, they may well be playing the system for their own gain and they almost certainly stretch the truth or outright lie but that's the nature of politics.

In fact I'd say most are so intelligent that it's a mystery why their decisions are often so bad.
But then most decisions are driven by committee's and you know what they say about camels and committees...
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

kwackers wrote:I've spoken to a number of politicians face to face and the one thing they're not is stupid.
Their goals may not align with yours, they may well be playing the system for their own gain and they almost certainly stretch the truth or outright lie but that's the nature of politics.

Story from the biography of Alf Wight (James Herriot). After a career on a very modest vet's income Herriot started to make some serious money when Labour were 'taxing the rich till their pips squeak'. He looked at ways of trying to minimise his tax burden whilst staying in this country, or more specifically North Yorkshire, which he loved.

He couldn't, paid the taxes and had a very low opinion of Harold Wilson, but then went to an 'Author of the Year' lunch; when he came back he exclaimed to his son that Wilson was a 'grand man'. Wilson - like all successful politicians - must have been superficially charming.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting report
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-uk-cases-test-self-isolate-b1825148.html wrote:Nearly half of people with Covid symptoms failing to self-isolate, study shows
Nearly half of people in the UK are still failing to self-isolate when displaying symptoms of Covid-19, new research suggests, further calling into question the effectiveness of Britain’s test and trace system.
The research, published in The BMJ, also showed that only about one in five people request a test if they have the main symptoms of Covid-19.

Professor Susan Michie, a psychologist who co-authored the study, called on the government to provide more financial support for people required to self-isolate, explaining that a loss of income or the fear of being fired is discouraging many individuals from following guidance.

Ian
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Psamathe wrote:Nearly half of people in the UK are still failing to self-isolate when displaying symptoms of Covid-19, new research suggestsn

Yes, have to admit that when on a 30 mile bus journey yesterday with one other passenger, I changed floors when said passenger was literally coughing incessantly! I've never been in a panic about Covid, but isn't non stop coughing a Covid symptom :wink:

And as for Covid? Is it over yet? I'm merely wondering that if, as a non stop Radio 4 news recipient I'm still taking it too seriously (Nb. Always been happy to head off for a ride, walk, shop or whatever, but noticeable locally Covid appears to have finished :wink:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote:Interesting report
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-uk-cases-test-self-isolate-b1825148.html wrote:Nearly half of people with Covid symptoms failing to self-isolate, study shows
Nearly half of people in the UK are still failing to self-isolate when displaying symptoms of Covid-19, new research suggests, further calling into question the effectiveness of Britain’s test and trace system.
The research, published in The BMJ, also showed that only about one in five people request a test if they have the main symptoms of Covid-19.

Professor Susan Michie, a psychologist who co-authored the study, called on the government to provide more financial support for people required to self-isolate, explaining that a loss of income or the fear of being fired is discouraging many individuals from following guidance.

Ian

The IOM were having this problem during the current lock down. Howard Quayle sent out some stern warnings for people who did this.

At the very same time a guy in my office turns up with stinking bad cold symptoms. No one even bats an eyelid.

The bug-or doesn't even need to be here since he will get full pay for 6 months if he needed it and has no fear of losing his job.

I had feared something like this would happen so I time shifted the date I told people I had my vaccine. ie I didn't tell anyone for a couple of weeks.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

And now that things are being "eased" so some organisations are taking advantage of the opportunity
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2021/04/02/matt-hancock-appreciate-society-says-first-meeting-was-a-raging-success/ wrote:Matt Hancock Appreciation Society says first meeting was a raging success
The Matt Hancock Appreciation Society was able to hold its first event today as lockdown restrictions started to lift, and its organiser says it was a “raging success and totally Covid secure.”

“We complied with all the regulations, especially the rule of six,” said Mr M Hancock, the founder of the society. “In fact, there were only two of us here. So, not only less than six, but also 100% of the membership. This is the most successful thing I have ever overseen.”

The event took place in Hyde Park and saw Mr Hancock and the other socially distant attendee clap for one minute in “recognition of the current Health Secretary being a jolly good chap”. Mr Hancock then made what he called “a rousing speech on the brilliance of Matt Hancock,” whilst visibly choking back tears. This was followed by a chorus of For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow. The event was closed with a rendition God Save the Queen and the waving of a Union Jack flag.

Moments later, the other attendee announced the formation of the Gavin Williamson Appreciation Society. Mr G Williamson said that he had been so moved and inspired by the event that he felt compelled to start his own society recognising the Education Secretary.

Ian
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I 1st saw this report I though April Fool but then realised that was several days ago. And not on one of my spoof sites so (maybe I'm a sucker) looks genuine!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-covid-china-fake-videos-b1825022.html wrote:A Conservative peer has denied the pandemic exists and blamed Chinese “fake videos” for fears about Covid-19, sparking calls for her to be sacked from her government job.

Helena Morrissey, a director at the Foreign Office, suggested the crisis has been exaggerated because people are not “dropping dead in the street”.

“The data shows we are NOT in a pandemic,” tweeted the peer, who was sent to the House of Lords by Boris Johnson last year.

“If people were dropping dead in the street we would notice & not go to M&S and have all those football matches.”

Baroness Morrissey then made claims about the role played by the Chinese Communist Party, adding: “CCP fake videos started this. It is ridiculous.”
Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 12:39pm And now that things are being "eased" so some organisations are taking advantage of the opportunity
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2021/04/02/matt-hancock-appreciate-society-says-first-meeting-was-a-raging-success/ wrote:Matt Hancock Appreciation Society says first meeting was a raging success
The Matt Hancock Appreciation Society was able to hold its first event today as lockdown restrictions started to lift, and its organiser says it was a “raging success and totally Covid secure.”

“We complied with all the regulations, especially the rule of six,” said Mr M Hancock, the founder of the society. “In fact, there were only two of us here. So, not only less than six, but also 100% of the membership. This is the most successful thing I have ever overseen.”

The event took place in Hyde Park and saw Mr Hancock and the other socially distant attendee clap for one minute in “recognition of the current Health Secretary being a jolly good chap”. Mr Hancock then made what he called “a rousing speech on the brilliance of Matt Hancock,” whilst visibly choking back tears. This was followed by a chorus of For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow. The event was closed with a rendition God Save the Queen and the waving of a Union Jack flag.

Moments later, the other attendee announced the formation of the Gavin Williamson Appreciation Society. Mr G Williamson said that he had been so moved and inspired by the event that he felt compelled to start his own society recognising the Education Secretary.
Ian
I was that guy clapping in the crowd ( of one ) but I won't be joining that Gavin Williamson's society he's just a fool if he thinks I'm going to jump ship.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Twice weekly rapid testing to be available to everyone in England"
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/twic ... in-england

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Harry has said he's flying back to the UK for the funeral but with the funeral only 6 days away how is he going to quarantine for 10 days after entry to UK?
When quarantining (from a non-red list country like the US)
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england wrote:Visitors
You cannot have visitors, including friends and family, unless they’re providing:

emergency assistance
care or assistance, including personal care
medical assistance
veterinary services
certain critical public services
Because I can't see how the virus will distinguish between Princes and everybody else so he is just as likely to bring in a variant that if he fails to quarantine can spread throughout us all. I seem to remember even EU/Brexit negotiating team self-isolating at critical times when events dictated.

I missed my Dad's funeral thanks to Covid (but then I'm not a Prince).

Ian