Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by Mick F »

Of course!

Walking the dog, going cycling, driving the car to the shops, being outdoors and being with people, of course I wear clothes.
Today, I wore a shirt, shorts, sandals, sunglasses, and a hat.
It's not always warm here, as well you know, so clothing is fine - and needed - and sometimes lots of it too.

Underwear?
Wot's that for?
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F!! Went to Bala Lake on Saturday, took the kayak and paddled over to the far side of the lake as the Mrs fancied a quiet swim. Nobody about so skinny dipping it was! Surprised how warm the water was considering its 125ft deep. :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

partly for keeping the over wear cleaner from certain parts of the anatomy.
partly for keeping some of those anatomical bits in place.

But the point is that even naturists generally wear clothes when out and about in public places.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Outer-wear is washable and light and cheap these days. In the old days, outer-wear was expensive and you wanted to keep them clean from "under-stains". These days, trousers/shorts/shirts can be washed and dried in a jiffy. Underwear isn't needed.
Anatomical support is entirely different.

Clothing for modesty and social norms are other subjects.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Famous matelot reveals he is a Royal Marine.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

mjr wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 9:48pm
Phileas wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 7:18pm I overheard a conversation about where to fit more staff and someone said it’s ok from next week because social distancing is ending. :roll:
So that's another office closed as soon as there's one positive test!
That didn’t take long - someone has indeed now tested positive and several people have been sent home. Luckily most can WFH.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread:
So is there a daily figure for infections within the fully vaccinated population? Additionally, we haven't been told what the age/co-morbidity status of those hospitalised.
ITU admissions by age are available, I'm not sure about all admissions.
However, the situation might suggest that the vaccination program is less efficacious than it might originally have been hoped for.
I haven't seen that demonstrated numerically. IIRC it's usual for efficacy in routine use to be a bit lower than in the initial trials.

"Why most people who now die with Covid in England have had a vaccination":
https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver ... vaccinated

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 9:14pm .... IIRC it's usual for efficacy in routine use to be a bit lower than in the initial trials.
One aspect though is the initial trials were with 4 weeks between doses whereas the UK used 12 weeks which is meant to result in higher levels of immunity.

Ian
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I don't agree with wearing a mask, but I still do if go in a shop, out of respect for anyone around me and the shopkeeper. Even if I think it's a load of codswallop, other people are scared and I think we should all take that into account. Also, you're in someone's shop - they are within their rights to refuse to let you in without even giving a reason, masks don't enter into it.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Manc33 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 9:52pm I don't agree with wearing a mask, but I still do if go in a shop, out of respect for anyone around me and the shopkeeper. Even if I think it's a load of codswallop, other people are scared and I think we should all take that into account. Also, you're in someone's shop - they are within their rights to refuse to let you in without even giving a reason, masks don't enter into it.
Can you give some medical evidence for your views on masks?

Thank you for consideration, though. That is appreciated.
John
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I'm sure he'll be able to provide some. He convinced me the earth is flat.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 4:55pm Outer-wear is washable and light and cheap these days. In the old days, outer-wear was expensive and you wanted to keep them clean from "under-stains". These days, trousers/shorts/shirts can be washed and dried in a jiffy. Underwear isn't needed.
Anatomical support is entirely different.

Clothing for modesty and social norms are other subjects.
True but I change underwear daily and wash jeans weekly. I would need a lot more trousers to change them everyday.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It seems a waste to change jeans or trousers everyday, if I can just change underwear, instead?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not had any jeans for probably 40years.
Much rather have lighter trousers, though I do have a pair of moleskins for when it's very cold.

As for washing stuff, why's it a waste?
Washing bin usually has some in it, and we do washing may three times a week. Very efficient machine on a cold-water supply and 30mins wash. Dries outside on the line, or over the kitchen range.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 9:22amAs for washing stuff, why's it a waste?
Washing bin usually has some in it, and we do washing may three times a week. Very efficient machine on a cold-water supply and 30mins wash. Dries outside on the line, or over the kitchen range.
Do you think that you're using more water, energy and soap/ detergent than you would if you were washing underwear rather than outerwear?

Thanks

Jonathan