Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hellhound

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by Hellhound »

Mrs Hellhound and I had a nice couple of days away in a lovely little village called Helmsley in the North Yorkshire Moors.The only downside was the chaos of trying to get served,in the pub we stayed in,whilst outside :x It took us 35 minutes after I went inside and was told someone would be out as quick as possible.In the 35 minute wait at least a dozen potential customers walked away to the pub across the square.All the one way systems and table service etc just does not work in an understaffed country pub on a very busy (and hot!) weekend.We were sat outside until gone midnight talking to the Landlady and today could not come soon enough for her.That was the feeling we got everywhere we visited over the 2 days.
We returned home today and I called at two of my locals whilst out with the dog.Walked in,no mask,to the bar,ordered and was back outside with my pint within 2 minutes.Bliss.It's the simple things that we've missed.Both pubs still have sitting down drinking only inside but the atmosphere was just as it was before all this.
I know which I prefer and today has been too long coming.
I don't like Boris,or the Tories but this is the one call he's got right.
Now he's relaxed the restrictions, it needs to stay that way regardless of what happens.The Country needs it and so do we!
millimole

Post by millimole »

I travelled by bus for the first time in about 18 months (using my shiny new bus pass) I used three different buses, and I'd say that the split was 60/40 in favour of non-masks. There were no more than 8 people on either of the double deckers, and three of us on the single deck service. All the Signage seems to have gone, with the front two seats still out of use.

I'm happy to see the back of the dubious restrictions in situations like this - although I might feel differently if I were on the London tube at rush hour.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

millimole wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 7:46pm I travelled by bus for the first time in about 18 months (using my shiny new bus pass) I used three different buses, and I'd say that the split was 60/40 in favour of non-masks. There were no more than 8 people on either of the double deckers, and three of us on the single deck service. All the Signage seems to have gone, with the front two seats still out of use.

I'm happy to see the back of the dubious restrictions in situations like this - although I might feel differently if I were on the London tube at rush hour.
In what way is wearing a mask a restriction?

In what way is it “dubious”?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Mike Sales wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 12:36pm
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 12:21pm . I’ve enjoyed walking around in shops and not being legally required to wear a governmuzzle.
But will you wear a mask voluntarily for the sake of others?
The simple answer is no. It’s not an airborne virus, never was, never will be, it’s primary transmission pathway is touch / close contact. There were computer models produced very early on, using calculations, based on size and weight of the Virons, that showed them essentially dropping like stones once expelled on normal breathing. If aerosols are generated by certain conditions ( surgical procedures mostly) then a proper high spec mask would be sensible, for the medics / anyone else in your immediate vicinity, but they serve no useful purpose in everyday situations. Most of the contraptions that the majority of folk use to cover their faces are less than useless, some higher spec ( N95 etc ) masks are overkill, unless in very specific circumstances. Walking around a shop / pub whatever, breathing normally isn’t one of them. So I’m glad the people in charge have finally seen sense.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Wearing a mask indoors or in crowded places is *not* a restriction, it does not hinder your ability to carry out any activity.

The virus *is* known to be airborne, full stop.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:47pm The simple answer is no. It’s not an airborne virus, never was, never will be, it’s primary transmission pathway is touch / close contact. There were computer models produced very early on, using calculations, based on size and weight of the Virons, that showed them essentially dropping like stones once expelled on normal breathing. If aerosols are generated by certain conditions ( surgical procedures mostly) then a proper high spec mask would be sensible, for the medics / anyone else in your immediate vicinity, but they serve no useful purpose in everyday situations. Most of the contraptions that the majority of folk use to cover their faces are less than useless, some higher spec ( N95 etc ) masks are overkill, unless in very specific circumstances. Walking around a shop / pub whatever, breathing normally isn’t one of them. So I’m glad the people in charge have finally seen sense.
This pandemic has changed medics' thinking on most of the above, so you seem to be very wrong.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

mjr wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:21am
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:47pm The simple answer is no. It’s not an airborne virus, never was, never will be, it’s primary transmission pathway is touch / close contact. There were computer models produced very early on, using calculations, based on size and weight of the Virons, that showed them essentially dropping like stones once expelled on normal breathing. If aerosols are generated by certain conditions ( surgical procedures mostly) then a proper high spec mask would be sensible, for the medics / anyone else in your immediate vicinity, but they serve no useful purpose in everyday situations. Most of the contraptions that the majority of folk use to cover their faces are less than useless, some higher spec ( N95 etc ) masks are overkill, unless in very specific circumstances. Walking around a shop / pub whatever, breathing normally isn’t one of them. So I’m glad the people in charge have finally seen sense.
This pandemic has changed medics' thinking on most of the above, so you seem to be very wrong.
Yeah obviously. Hence the reason the mask compulsion has been dropped. Stands to reason doesn’t it? That’s sarcasm by the way.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:56pm This is why we can’t have nice things.

Wearing a mask indoors or in crowded places is *not* a restriction, it does not hinder your ability to carry out any activity.

Personally I find masks very restrictive but anyone who thinks masks are not is entitled to their opinion without judgement!
millimole

Post by millimole »

Maillot Rouge wrote:
Personally I find masks very restrictive but anyone who thinks masks are not is entitled to their opinion without judgement!
It's interesting /odd how mask vs non-mask has created a poisonous divide on Social media, which doesn't translate to the real world as far as I've seen so far.
There seem to be a good number of people (myself included) who are glad to see the end of masks, but cannot be described in any way as "anti- mask" or "anti-vax". I wonder if this lack of a distinct group is confusing the keyboard warriors.

I can't help wondering if the nastiness (particularly on twitter) on this subject is actually translated into lasting, real life behaviour.

I'm quite content for people to wear masks if they want to, and I won't criticise their choice. Equally, where rules remain in place (eg healthcare) I'll follow them. But, I'm a grown adult with a mind of my own, and given a free choice, my choice is not to wear one if I don't need to.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It’s hard to tell which of the above posts are serious and which are made tongue in cheek.

My own tuppence worth: freedom is not absolute. It runs to the point but not beyond where it potentially hurts other people, including making them fearful. Wearing a mask in a public indoor space seems to me to be the decent thing to do. I hate them as much as anyone and actually have (unused) exemption. But I do not see my freedom challenged in any way by continuing, voluntarily, to wear one.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 6:55am
[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:56pm This is why we can’t have nice things.

I pointed out that someone was completely ignoring all the scientific advice, and thinks that de Pfeffel knows better than the medics. There is a reason every authority that can is still mandating masks - because it remains the strongest medical advice.

We are at practically the perfect storm of part vaccinated (still below 50% fully vaccinated - remember it takes weeks after the second dose for that label to be appropriate), and now we want to encourage widespread infection, and therefore massively increase the chances of a vaccine resistant strain appearing,

There is a reason that the world is looking on in horror at the reckless endangerment which is now happening.

In what way are masks restrictive that pants aren’t?
It’s a small piece of cloth - you wear if for the good of society as a whole. Not even everywhere, just places where it’s busy, or the space is enclosed.

I find communication very difficult with masks, but that’s not restrictive, I just need people to be a little bit slower and more careful when talking to me.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:20amIn what way are masks restrictive that pants aren’t?
My nuts don't need to breathe - my mouth does though.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Manc33 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:48am
[XAP]Bob wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:20amIn what way are masks restrictive that pants aren’t?
Actually, they do.

And no one has been unable to breathe because of a mask except is particular circumstances for which there has always been provision made.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 20 Jul 2021, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Manc33 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:48am
Masks do not prevent you from breathing, if you have COPV or similar respiratory disorders where even the slightest impediment to breathing was a medical concern then you were already exempt.

However since you are a regular on this forum I am going to assume that your lungs function at least as well as average, and that means that there is no issue breathing through a mask when in certain locations.

I don't expect you to ride the TdF whilst masked, but doing your shopping isn't particularly energy intensive.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:56am
Jdsk wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 9:09am
Maillot Rouge wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 6:55amThat’s the right way to go about debate!
What's the right way in this forum, please?

Would pointing to the best available current evidence make any difference? For example on how the virus is transmitted, or the efficacy of masks?

Thanks

Jonathan
Not name calling would be a start!
Nothing seems to have brought out the worst in people,especially online,than the events of the last 18 months.I’m sure that most members are pretty much OK but some appear not to be especially if someone posts something other than their own interpretation of things.
It might be a generation thing.
No it's a lack of tolerance for stupidity.

The echo chamber of online "social" media, and the refusal of other media to actually report facts above conspiracy nuts has increased the level of stupidity to the point where I can no longer tolerate it and try to educate it. I just call it out.