Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 2:52pm Now there's a surprise. Johnson and Sunak try to get round isolation rules by pretending they're on some pilot scheme.

They get found out and heavily criticized by both the public and their own backbenchers.

They do a U-turn.

Is there even the tiniest semblance or even pretence of decency left with this government?
Sorry, I disagree. As a Guardian/Observer reader, an active Labour supporter in the 90's, inclined towards a "left" viewpoint, I'm not a natural supporter of "Tories", nor of Johnson.

But the fact does exist that as individuals at the highest level of Gvt, they are working to try and resolve the Covid issue. It'd be absurd to suggest that changing Mgt 16pcm into an "emergency" situation would be beneficial. And to be fair........I don't support/like Johnson, but wasn't he infected with a life threatening disease without a cure in 2020, yet returned to work within a short time span to try to deal with the issues?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

His illness a year ago has nothing to do with his dishonesty today.

The only things Johnson got right was buying into the vaccine programme and furlough. Then he was in danger of throwing the vaccine advantage away by opening the country up to the Delta variant. And now the whole world looks on aghast at his experiment against all advice.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 19 Jul 2021, 7:41am, edited 2 times in total.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A pretty obvious strategy, really. As cases start to climb steeply you remove all restriction.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 6:36am A pretty obvious strategy, really. As cases start to climb steeply you remove all restriction.
I've seen some wag saying he's got to kill some young Labour voters after killing so many old Tories, so needs to open up in summer party season before the vaccination programme is completed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 8:24am
Oldjohnw wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 6:36am A pretty obvious strategy, really. As cases start to climb steeply you remove all restriction.
I've seen some wag saying he's got to kill some young Labour voters after killing so many old Tories, so needs to open up in summer party season before the vaccination programme is completed.
Freedom cannot be taken independently of the rest of society. My freedom and yours are interdependent. We cannot have one within the other.
John
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Even with the vaccination status as it is, mortality rate is still heavily skewed to the older age brackets...
gbnz wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 9:10pmbut wasn't he infected with a life threatening disease without a cure in 2020, yet returned to work within a short time span to try to deal with the issues?
Well, after he'd earlier been on extended holiday for the first few weeks of it. They can still wfh, like large numbers of others have done, including MDs/CEOs of large companies.

One rule for us never looks good.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oldjohnw wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 9:15amFreedom cannot be taken independently of the rest of society. My freedom and yours are interdependent. We cannot have one within the other.
This

Cannot

Be

Overstated
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’m overjoyed that we’ve finally been given a load of choices / freedoms back. Will it last? I hope so. Will it last? I doubt it. I’ve enjoyed walking around in shops and not being legally required to wear a governmuzzle.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 12:21pm . I’ve enjoyed walking around in shops and not being legally required to wear a governmuzzle.
But will you wear a mask voluntarily for the sake of others?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Whilst Johnson has told us the vaccine has severed the link between Covid and deaths (though scientists seem to say "weakened the link" rather than "severed") how has the Covid vaccine weakened the link between cancer and the need for treatment or heart disease and the need for treatment?

As our Government launches us into a new wave of Covid likeny to increase the NHS backlog from already record levels what of those needing diagnosis & treatment for non-Covid; don't they matter any more?

And long term debilitating for the expected surge in long-Covid and Covid caused organ damage?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/long-covid-uk-neil-ferguson-b1886076.html wrote:Long Covid might strike half a million people during current wave, Neil Ferguson warns
Being of "an age", I missed my last bowel cancer screening as I was away travelling/touring at the time (the routine home test, I have no special history requiring anything non-routine). I called the test centre the other day to ask if I should late submit or wait for the next and they checked and I can't late submit and next is "delayed" due to Covid. I have no reason to be concerned but another highlight of the impact for non-Covid conditions.

Ian
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 12:21pm I’m overjoyed that we’ve finally been given a load of choices / freedoms back. Will it last? I hope so. Will it last? I doubt it. I’ve enjoyed walking around in shops and not being legally required to wear a governmuzzle.
I would not go as far to say overjoyed,but it needed to happen.I’ve walked down to the local Asda and wandered around.A few staff wearing masks but that was it.
It’s good to actually see people’s faces again.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tesco in Berwick.

It was very busy, largely with tourists.me very single person, including staff, wearing a face covering. An announcement asking that we all treat each other with respect. I was touched by the decency of my fellow shoppers.

I delighted at the freedom to treat my fellow human beings with respect.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 3:02pm Tesco in Berwick.

It was very busy, largely with tourists.me very single person, including staff, wearing a face covering. An announcement asking that we all treat each other with respect. I was touched by the decency of my fellow shoppers.

Reading this maybe Boris is right to rely on the public being responsible.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:01pm

I suspect most visitors are from Scotland, or have just been to Scotland and don’t know which country Berwick is in.😀
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:01pm

I would not agree in that relying on individual character means you end-up with considerate responsible people being limited and callous irresponsible individuals getting all the "freedom". When it's law everybody bears the impact and benefits in a more equitable manner.

We don't get any extra freedom just because we are doing it voluntarily rather than it being mandated.

Ian