Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: WInter 2020 : Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Jan 2021, 9:55am

I understand that if only schoolchildren had carried a Scotch Egg in their lunchbox......
John

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 5 Jan 2021, 10:17am

Psamathe wrote:I assume it will take schools a bit of time to get distance teaching "activated" ...

Ours (certainly my corner of it) has gone pretty smoothly. Systems were already in place from March, and we've had constant practice through last term when year groups/class groups were sometimes sent home to self isolate.

reohn2

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Postby reohn2 » 6 Jan 2021, 1:57pm

Worth a listen:- https://youtu.be/Leb9dSLvPHw
This government has no leadship has never taken the people with it,led by a moronic idiot who simply is in a job well above his lowly pay grade and who changes his mind with the wind,with a cabinet who frankly aren't fit to be sweeping the streets.
I wouldn't trust them with anything and I'm not sure I could trust the Labour party either.
The country has been driven by these people into a hole so deep I'm not sure it'll emerge from in what's left of my lifetime.

This two or is it three or even four tier society and the way it's being run by the rich elite for a small section of society is utterly depressing
-----------------------------------------------------------

mjr

Postby mjr » 6 Jan 2021, 2:41pm

peetee wrote:Here we are in another lockdown and looking at the traffic here you would never believe it. If anything it is busier that it was this time yesterday.

Well, yes, as parents no longer have to drop their children off at school so can go to work at the traditional time, as still appreciated/rewarded by many bosses. Remember that only about 1 in 8 of the UK is working from home - and even that is many more than most countries surveyed by YouGov - so the traffic drop will mostly be seen not at commuter times. It's noticeably quieter on the A10 past me around midday and in the evenings.

In Belgium, government announced yesterday that covid marshals can now do spot-checks on businesses and order them to move workers to teleworking where possible. Businesses that do not comply can be fined up to €48'000 or ultimately closed. (There, as in the UK, it is up to bosses to implement the "work from home" guidance and workers cannot choose for themselves.)

And on a related note, can anyone tell me why a car wash counts as an essential service?

Nope.

francovendee wrote:It seems that the government had no choice but to lock the country down, maybe they were late to do so.
When the virus is spreading at these rates and vaccination has only just begun what other measures could have been taken?

Yes, by this week, it was the correct decision in general, although some of the detailed permissions and prohibitions still don't look rational.

However, how much were rates increased by the government's stubborn sticking to its "Happy Covid Christmas" relaxation of measures? How much did giving people 8 hours warning to flee London before the law change spread the virus? How much damage has been done by opening some schools for post-Christmas Covid-swapping on Monday?

This is arguably even worse than France's refusal to lock down again until the second wave there was very well-established. This looks like actively doing stuff that increased transmission rates, not learning after their August "Go Back to Work. Eat Out. Save Pret" farce.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Jan 2021, 3:29pm

mjr wrote:.... How much did giving people 8 hours warning to flee London before the law change spread the virus? ....

You mean just like what happened in Italy before their 1st lockdown (well publicised and seems to have been completely ignored by UK Government). Nothing like repeating the mistakes of others and failing to learn from the mistakes of others.

Ian

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Jan 2021, 4:20pm

It's like some west end farce,only it's for real! :twisted:

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Jan 2021, 6:10pm

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2021/01/06/dido-harding-spotted-in-cannes-with-lord-lucan-and-shergar/ wrote:Dido Harding spotted in Cannes with Lord Lucan and Shergar
Sightings continue to come in of elusive executive Dido ‘Goldfinger’ Harding. The latest reports come from the south of France, though she has also reportedly been sighted in the Caribbean, in an underground lair, a hollowed-out volcano and on a moonbase. She has not been recently spotted anywhere near government or a sense of accountability.

Ironically, Dido Harding is the UK’s leading manhunter – HMG gave her £12 billion to set up a ‘track & trace’ system to enable people who’ve been in contact with Covid-19 to be identified. The best hope we now have of seeing her again is if she develops the illness herself, when there is at least a 2% chance that her own app will locate her. Failing that we may need to wait for the £12 billion to run out and trap her with a giant bag of gold and a concealed net.

RickH

Postby RickH » 6 Jan 2021, 8:14pm

peetee wrote:Here we are in another lockdown and looking at the traffic here you would never believe it. If anything it is busier that it was this time yesterday.
If you could get inside the heads of all these people I’m sure it would be a chorus of the same line. “Why should I stick to the rules while they all flout them?”

And on a related note, can anyone tell me why a car wash counts as an essential service?

I cycled through town (Bolton) today and traffic was definitely a lot quieter than last week. You can see the M61 from our house & traffic on there seemed a lot lighter too.

On car washes (& it is only automatic ones allowed), I can see some point as at this time of year cars can get pretty filthy. Whilst appearance isn't really important, having clear windows & visible lights are important. Also, where people are restricted to on street parking, I'm not sure I really want folk swilling water around the roads & pavements in the current freezing conditions.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 6 Jan 2021, 11:13pm

on my way home from work tonight about 7.30pm there was a petrol station closed but a couple of fast food takeaways open! what makes a fast food takeaway essential but petrol station not ?

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 6 Jan 2021, 11:47pm

Cowsham wrote:on my way home from work tonight about 7.30pm there was a petrol station closed but a couple of fast food takeaways open! what makes a fast food takeaway essential but petrol station not ?

We need food but not petrol? :wink:
John

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 7 Jan 2021, 1:09am

We need more trained medics for starters:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55559727
The ones who the Tories removed nursing bursaries from makign them pay for their own training whilst nursing salaries haven't kept pace with inflation for the past ten years!

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 7 Jan 2021, 7:17am

Psamathe wrote:
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2021/01/06/dido-harding-spotted-in-cannes-with-lord-lucan-and-shergar/ wrote:Dido Harding spotted in Cannes with Lord Lucan and Shergar
]

Thank you for that ... made me smile ... :D
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 7 Jan 2021, 7:26am

reohn2 wrote:We need more trained medics for starters:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55559727
The ones who the Tories removed nursing bursaries from makign them pay for their own training whilst nursing salaries haven't kept pace with inflation for the past ten years!

Maybe all the nurses that were going to be working in the Nightingale hospitals can be used!!!! :roll:

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 7 Jan 2021, 8:30am

Cowsham wrote:on my way home from work tonight about 7.30pm there was a petrol station closed but a couple of fast food takeaways open! what makes a fast food takeaway essential but petrol station not ?

If you are meant to stay in your local area, you don't need petrol. You do, however, still need food.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

DaveBeck

Postby DaveBeck » 7 Jan 2021, 8:59am

Vorpal wrote:

If you are meant to stay in your local area, you don't need petrol. You do, however, still need food.

Depends where you live surely? In cities and big towns maybe. But if you live in the rural parts of somewhere like Cornwall, a vehicle and therefore fuel, are essential.

Dave B