N Minus X: how many cycles have you had stolen?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

N Plus X: how many cycles have you had stolen

None
41%
Bits/parts
8%
one
24%
two
14%
three
5%
four or more
8%

Total votes: 37

Phileas

Re: N Minus X: how many cycles have you had stolen?

Postby Phileas » 31 Dec 2020, 9:18am

I had one stolen from my shed - a Dawes Giro 400 I think, to which I’d just fitted new hand built (by me) wheels, with cartridge bearing hubs. I managed to get the full amount (£450) of house-insurance money available and I bought a Giro 500 as a replacement.

On an earlier occasion, my shed was broken into but nothing was taken. It amused me at the time that the intruder had just unscrewed the hinges, rather than mess about with the lock - sort of obvious I suppose.
Last edited by Phileas on 31 Dec 2020, 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.

rjb

Re: N Minus X: how many cycles have you had stolen?

Postby rjb » 31 Dec 2020, 10:55am

My daughter had a bso stolen when she lived in a flat in Cardiff whilst at uni. With only on street storage she would leave it u locked around the cast iron drainpipe outside.
A tea leaf ripped the pipe off the wall to nick the bike. There wasn't room to get the u lock around the frame wheel and drain pipe so it was just the frame. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D