Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by thirdcrank »

Re the debt judgment, I see that an application has been made to set it aside. Although the media seem to be explaining all the possible reasons for this. I've not seen anything specific.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:15am
Mike Sales wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:02am
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:52am My thoughts always come back to this: who owns Boris Johnson?
Can you buy him? I thought you could only rent him.
Rent him from whom?
He pockets the spondulicks, so from himself.
Perhaps hire would be a better word.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

What kind of country have we become?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:54pm What kind of country have we become?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
I think we've been like this for several years now and (some) people are only just starting to noice. Before Brexit we were blocked from a lot of politicians' nastier wishes but now they seem free to do as they want.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re the county court judgment again. It's now reported this has been set aside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57099607
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

David Cameron: ex Prime Minister for hire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-57100068
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Fascist. plain and simple
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 May 2021, 5:25pm
Fascist. plain and simple
Peers' analysis of the Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Bill:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1392 ... 38337.html

That's the one that includes the appointment of the "Director for Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom".

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Boris Johnson has been criticised for taking a short helicopter flight from London to the West Midlands to promote a local bike hire scheme, despite the train from London taking just more than two hours.

Critics said the flight was “completely unnecessary” and cast doubt on the sincerity of the prime minister’s pledges to fight the climate crisis. Air travel produces far more global-heating emissions than other modes of transport.
The helicopter is owned by the chairman of JCB. Johnson has flown in Lord Bamfrord's private jet during the election campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-crisis
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 May 2021, 8:56am
Boris Johnson has been criticised for taking a short helicopter flight from London to the West Midlands to promote a local bike hire scheme, despite the train from London taking just more than two hours.

Critics said the flight was “completely unnecessary” and cast doubt on the sincerity of the prime minister’s pledges to fight the climate crisis. Air travel produces far more global-heating emissions than other modes of transport.
The helicopter is owned by the chairman of JCB. Johnson has flown in Lord Bamfrord's private jet during the election campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-crisis
But he's always been like that "Do as I say not as I do". During lockdown "Stay at Home" - unless you are Johnson in which case spend your time wizzing round visiting everybody trailing a press team for the PR photoshoots.

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:19am Re the debt judgment, I see that an application has been made to set it aside. Although the media seem to be explaining all the possible reasons for this. I've not seen anything specific.
It was a claim made by a Covid conspiracy theorist who apparently makes such claims, often sending copies of her complaints to the Queen, the BBC, the House of Commons and House of Lords.

The BBC reported:

Official records showed an "unsatisfied record" for the unpaid debt was registered to Mr Johnson at "10 Downing Street", with the judgement dated 26 October last year.

An additional file showed the claim, for "defamation" and "committed repeated defamation", was made by an Yvonne Hobbs against "The Rt Hon Boris Johnson".

It was not clear how the case led to a CCJ being issued, as defamation cases would normally be heard in the High Court.

I think Private Eye was 'had' though it was only reporting what was officially recorded.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote: 15 May 2021, 7:37am
thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:19am Re the debt judgment, I see that an application has been made to set it aside. Although the media seem to be explaining all the possible reasons for this. I've not seen anything specific.
It was a claim made by a Covid conspiracy theorist who apparently makes such claims, often sending copies of her complaints to the Queen, the BBC, the House of Commons and House of Lords.

The BBC reported:

Official records showed an "unsatisfied record" for the unpaid debt was registered to Mr Johnson at "10 Downing Street", with the judgement dated 26 October last year.

An additional file showed the claim, for "defamation" and "committed repeated defamation", was made by an Yvonne Hobbs against "The Rt Hon Boris Johnson".

It was not clear how the case led to a CCJ being issued, as defamation cases would normally be heard in the High Court.

I think Private Eye was 'had' though it was only reporting what was officially recorded.
Normally with a court case both parties are notified and given the opportunity to state their case and both parties are then notified of the court findings/decision. To me it is not whether or not the case has merit but that Johnson felt he could just ignore it.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have a feeling that if I just chose to ignore a whole raft of correspondence followed by a court notice, whatever I judged to be its merit, it would not be simply dismissed.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm no fan of Boris Johnson but I find the explanation here entirely credible. AIUI, in layman's terms, the online county court application system is designed for simplicity and so is streamlined. This is largely to avoid a claimant having to elicit a response from an unresponsive defendant, but it can mean that if the defendant is a large commercial organisation, then the relevant bit may simply be unaware since the correspondence will go to what's been specified by the claimant. The setting aside procedure is intended to cover just such circumstances.

Now, Boris Johnson isn't a large commercial organisation, but I can see that he won't be there every morning with the paperknife (real or virtual) opening all the correspondence.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:22am I'm no fan of Boris Johnson but I find the explanation here entirely credible. AIUI, in layman's terms, the online county court application system is designed for simplicity and so is streamlined. This is largely to avoid a claimant having to elicit a response from an unresponsive defendant, but it can mean that if the defendant is a large commercial organisation, then the relevant bit may simply be unaware since the correspondence will go to what's been specified by the claimant. The setting aside procedure is intended to cover just such circumstances.

Now, Boris Johnson isn't a large commercial organisation, but I can see that he won't be there every morning with the paperknife (real or virtual) opening all the correspondence.
Surely, amongst his staff, there is somebody not only with paperknife skills but also competent to sort the correspondence and pass it on to the relevant person. I would hope the P.M.'s office could make up for his own disorganisation.