Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by thirdcrank »

They're burglars, not spies.
I do get that.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Timpson's? They want £5 for shoelaces that are similar to £1 laces in Shoe Zone around the corner. Daylight robbery! Who's been teaching who? :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The courts don’t always oppose the government:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

By the time the Blacks threw open their 11-bedroom Kensington house to guests in 2001, Johnson was not just a magazine editor, but also the Conservative candidate for Henley – and his reputation for getting away with it was well and truly established.

A high point of the party was a performance by Kit and the Widow, a satirical double act. One of the guests made a note of the chorus: “That effrontery so sordid/should be cherished and rewarded/Is a fact to be applauded/As public life goes on/Let honour be accorded/That he’s pulled off such a con/Let it be lauded, the BoJo phenomenon.”

Black even declared: “If Boris wants to run for No 10, the Telegraph is behind him.” But nobody took him seriously. As the guest ruefully observed: “Everybody puddled themselves with guffawing laughter of disbelief at the very thought.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rnalist-mp

It is striking how well understood was Johnson's lying even then by those who knew him well, and how cynical they were about nevertheless backing him.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hellhound wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 11:11am
Strange how a person pointing how what a corrupt,lying,scheming excuse of a man our PM is,gets asked to leave yet the PM is still there.
It reminds me of the Dennis Skinner statement.
1. Skinner: “Half the Tory members opposite are crooks”

House of Commons Speaker: “The honourable member MUST withdraw that remark”

Skinner: “OK, half the Tories are not crooks”
From Iain Banks in The Quarry”
I'm not arguing that there are no decent people in the Tory Party …But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd ; technically they have kept their integrity, but they are still embedded in sh*t"
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There are those who say, “complain all you like but Johnson remains popular”.

Er, no.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... umped.html

Not even in The Guardian.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nobody asked me, or anyone I know.
Polls are useless unless you ask everyone and they all answer. No such thing as a indicative sample.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's two different issues there.

Errors arising arising from sample size are easy to estimate, and can be reduced below any specified limit.

Fair sampling is difficult, but there are some reliable methods out there.

And surveys can easily give a much better summary of opinions than personal anecdotes, no matter how strongly held or how often repeated.

I'm interested in what other people think, and I don't see how a democratic system can work unless we all have some idea about this.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The only way to get 100% accuracy is to ask everyone.

But a random sample, whether 1000, 10,000 or 1,000,000 will give a level of accuracy that is so close as not to matter normally. The acceptable level of accuracy, say +/- 5% is set. From time to time a random sample is tested with a larger sample to check accuracy. With population type studies the census is used to check accuracy. Asking everybody every time is quite unnecessary and will not improve accuracy to any material degree.

It’s the same as adding up a column of numbers in, say, £ and p. If you round up or down as appropriate and only use complete £s then no matter how long the column you will still be only £1 out.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Without some supporting analysis that chart is meaningless to me. What seems to me the obvious point is that there's no indication what part, if any, referendums play in the constitutions of any of the countries listed. I did a quick check on a few of the countries and eg South Africa seems to have had two the first when the decision was made to become a republic and the second to scrap apartheid. In both cases, it was whites-only franchise. At the other end of the table, GB hasn't had a happy recent experience with them. I fancy that people familiar with the countries listed might be able to give some useful background.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:54pm Without some supporting analysis that chart is meaningless to me.
It's one chart from the very interesting linked survey. I was surprised by many of the findings. Well worth reading.

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:17pm Nobody asked me, or anyone I know.
Polls are useless unless you ask everyone and they all answer. No such thing as a indicative sample.
I was going to say "cobblers" but I am deterred by the much more erudite responses which followed.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Well you can probably knock off 10 to 20pts for the framing as an agree/disagree question.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop