Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

It's only a start, but it shouldn't go unnoticed:

https://www.survation.com/poll-largest- ... became-pm/

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 3:39pm........
.1 All drugs policy should be based on harm reduction.
2 It should include those that are legal and those aren't.
3 Personal possession and consumption of cannabis should be decriminalised immediately.
4 And that should be reviewed for all other drugs.
5 I can't tell if this is new money or not, but facilities for rehabilitation are a major component of harm reduction

Jonathan
Agreed
And all (presently) illegal drug sales taken out of the hands of criminals,very violent criminals who are controlling all drug sales in the UK.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 4:16pm
I'd call that a positive move. Just as I would call it a positive move if a drunk decided to give up the booze. Any step in the right direction is a positive move, regardless of what went before.
Agreed,but not all recreational illegal drug users are addictis as not all drinkers are alcoholics.
Decently funded rehabilitation is essential for the recovery of addicts of any sort,but what is also essential is the control of presently illegal drugs which can only happen with legalisation and gangsters eliminated from the sale of recreational drugs,gangsters who "cut" heroin to as little as 2% with any white powder that comes to hand including castor sugar or even scouring powder!
The war on drugs has been going on for half a century and more and has proved to be a complete failure,it's time to take an adult view of the whole illegal recreational drug situation.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 6:06pm It's only a start, but it shouldn't go unnoticed:

https://www.survation.com/poll-largest- ... became-pm/

Jonathan
Frankly I'm surprised the lead is so small!
But as you say it's a start,let's hope it continues to grow
Last edited by reohn2 on 7 Dec 2021, 11:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 8:11pm The video:

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 20.11.05.png
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-07/no- ... ter-denied

Jonathan
Struck me watching this evening's TV news that Johnson's reputation for lying, his denials that turn out to be lies, etc., etc. mean he really has no credibility any more so his denying something has no impact, no effect. Yet he is meant to be the leader of the UK Government yet his credibility and believability blown to pieces.

And the video yet another example. Does not matter what really happened any more. Johnson hammered another nail in his credibility and more of the public now believing "one rule for them another rule for the rest of us".

Ian
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

reohn2 wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 7:21pm
I'd call that a positive move. Just as I would call it a positive move if a drunk decided to give up the booze. Any step in the right direction is a positive move, regardless of what went before.
Agreed,but not all recreational illegal drug users are addictis as not all drinkers are alcoholics.

The war on drugs has been going on for half a century and more and has proved to be a complete failure,it's time to take an adult view of the whole illegal recreational drug situation.
I'd like television to be classed as a class A drug, for stupefing it's users, reducing their creativity and for replacing their ability to critically think and reason for simple response based on pure emotion.
It's time to go :-)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 8:24pm
Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 8:11pm The video:

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 20.11.05.png
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-07/no- ... ter-denied

Jonathan
Struck me watching this evening's TV news that Johnson's reputation for lying, his denials that turn out to be lies, etc., etc. mean he really has no credibility any more so his denying something has no impact, no effect. Yet he is meant to be the leader of the UK Government yet his credibility and believability blown to pieces.

And the video yet another example. Does not matter what really happened any more. Johnson hammered another nail in his credibility and more of the public now believing "one rule for them another rule for the rest of us".

Ian
Finally something seems to be cutting through.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycle tramp wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:51pm I'd like television to be classed as a class A drug, for stupefing it's users, reducing their creativity and for replacing their ability to critically think and reason for simple response based on pure emotion.
Unfortunately like drugs,the cat's out of the bag and the wrong people are in charge of most of it's contents.
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Dec 2021, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

The Cabinet Ministers are the ones to watch. Many of them are mediocre hacks who owe their position solely to their support for Brexit and Johnson for party leader. Those Ministers have little or no personal base of supporters in the party, and can only expect to stay in office while Johnson remains PM, so they have nothing to lose when they are wheeled out to defend Owen Paterson, Cummings' trip to Barnard Castle, or Xmas parties in No. 10 etc.

However, some of them have ambitions beyond serving in Johnson's Cabinet, and they will be calculating whether it is best to continue to parrot the No. 10 line, or whether to start distancing themselves more. It will be interesting who the Government puts up to defend it in media interviews over the coming days, and more especially which senior ministers are conspicuous by their absence.
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 7:21pm
Decently funded rehabilitation is essential for the recovery of addicts of any sort,but what is also essential is the control of presently illegal drugs which can only happen with legalisation and gangsters eliminated from the sale of recreational drugs,gangsters who "cut" heroin to as little as 2% with any white powder that comes to hand including castor sugar or even scouring powder!
You have put forward that view before, and there certainly is a chain of logic in it. But I think it comes with its own problems. I have worked with young people who haven't been heroin users, but who were daft enough to give it a go if it were legal. It simply being bad for health would not have been enough of a deterrent. And not very far from me is a home with two young men living there, who I've known since they were young kids, and their affluent parents brought them up to think drug use is a right, so just don't get caught. I know for a fact that they drive shortly after a spliff, and they drive fast. The fact that they would love legalisation makes me dislike the idea. The suggestion that, in future, if they are caught with cannabis in the car they might lose their licence fills me with joy. :lol:

Anyway, on a more cheerful note, it looks like this 2020 Downing St Christmas Party business is exploding in Boris's face. He is currently in a state of denial (again) about an issue that can't be ducked, but it won't go away.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

With Boris's denials and lies time and again is it any wonder the EU doesn't trust him to stick by any deal.
Getting rid of this man and his government may offer the best chance of rescuing something from leaving the EU.
The deep seated fear of Labour being in power is huge a hurdle to get over and my fear is we'll stick with the same bunch of clowns.
Meanwhile some are getting amazingly rich while the rest are slowly going backwards.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

slowster wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 11:39pm The Cabinet Ministers are the ones to watch. Many of them are mediocre hacks who owe their position solely to their support for Brexit and Johnson for party leader. Those Ministers have little or no personal base of supporters in the party, and can only expect to stay in office while Johnson remains PM, so they have nothing to lose when they are wheeled out to defend Owen Paterson, Cummings' trip to Barnard Castle, or Xmas parties in No. 10 etc.

However, some of them have ambitions beyond serving in Johnson's Cabinet, and they will be calculating whether it is best to continue to parrot the No. 10 line, or whether to start distancing themselves more. It will be interesting who the Government puts up to defend it in media interviews over the coming days, and more especially which senior ministers are conspicuous by their absence. (My bold.)
The Government's brief at the Grenfell Inquiry- Jason Beer QC - is reported to have apologised on behalf of the government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59559864

Bearing in mind that the origins of this tragedy go back quite a long time, and Boris Johnson's premiership is not directly involved, it will be interesting to see how far back they try to push the blame. Also, there may be questions about his time as London Mayor.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Boris should go now and take his festering old brain with him -- I don't think he could remember whether there was an Xmas party or not last year so it's immaterial. Boris is an embarrassment to this country.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 6:50am You have put forward that view before, and there certainly is a chain of logic in it. But I think it comes with its own problems. I have worked with young people who haven't been heroin users, but who were daft enough to give it a go if it were legal. It simply being bad for health would not have been enough of a deterrent. And not very far from me is a home with two young men living there, who I've known since they were young kids, and their affluent parents brought them up to think drug use is a right, so just don't get caught. I know for a fact that they drive shortly after a spliff, and they drive fast. The fact that they would love legalisation makes me dislike the idea. The suggestion that, in future, if they are caught with cannabis in the car they might lose their licence fills me with joy. :lol:
In the case of the people mentioned replace drug use with alcohol use,the effect is just the same.
Any substance that impairs the mind shouldn't be used whilst operating machinery that goes without saying and those people you mention are idiots,but will continue to be idiots unless they injure or kill themselves or someone else,are caught(fat chance see below) or come to their senses before they do.

The legalisation of recreational drugs needs to be very closely controlled,standardised,taxed and discouraged innthe same way tobacco use is.There should also be a network of substance abuse clinics with highly trained staff to help addicts and not the underfunded excuse presently.

Sales need desperately to be taken out of the hands of gangsters and criminals currently in charge of illegal recreational drug sales who will sell their uncontrolled "products" to anyone who wantsnit,of course there'd need to be an effective police force to guard against such people,something sadly lacking in the UK today and despite Johnson's promises there's not likely to be in this parliamentary term* The current crop of videos showing police battering down doors and raiding houses up and down the country likenthe one Johnson was involved in getting his face on is just window deressing IMO.
AFAICS people will take drugs whether that be legal or illegal,to keep brushing it under the carpet or trying to stop it is fruitless and has been since the '60's so the whole problem needs different approach IMO.

I don't claim to know the answers but I do know what isn't working and people are suffering as a result

*Currently 20,000 police officers down and 23,000 support officers down,but even with those numbers replenished there still wouldn't be any where near enough police on the streets.

My 2d's worth.

Anyway, on a more cheerful note, it looks like this 2020 Downing St Christmas Party business is exploding in Boris's face. He is currently in a state of denial (again) about an issue that can't be ducked, but it won't go away.
He'll carry on regardless until his own sickly evil party stop him when and if his ratings plummet to an embaressing low even they can't ignore
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Dec 2021, 10:26am, edited 4 times in total.
W H Auden