Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hellhound

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Hellhound »

francovendee wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 8:28am I'd like to think they would but..... Come the next GE the Tory owned media will be warning everyone of the dangers of a Labour government.
...and the electorate will lap up whatever they read.If Starmer is still leader character assassination will commence,as it did with Corbyn,and voters will believe anything they are told without actually doing any research.
Sadly that's what folk do.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mr Johnson is now on holiday for a rare well earned break leaving us in the capable hands of Mr Raab.
John
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Oldjohnw wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 8:37am Mr Johnson is now on holiday for a rare well earned break leaving us in the capable hands of Mr Raab.
A comment laced with eminently justified sarcasm; he's clearly trying to out do Trump who spent 30% of his time as president in 'Trump owned establishments' i.e. playing golf or George W Bush at 533 days holiday in 8 years
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hellhound wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 10:16am
francovendee wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 8:28am I'd like to think they would but..... Come the next GE the Tory owned media will be warning everyone of the dangers of a Labour government.
...and the electorate will lap up whatever they read.If Starmer is still leader character assassination will commence,as it did with Corbyn,and voters will believe anything they are told without actually doing any research.
Sadly that's what folk do.
Ed Miliband was clearly unfit for leadership since he found a bacon sandwich tricky to eat with dignity.
edmiliband.jpg
Last edited by Mike Sales on 10 Oct 2021, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 8:37am Mr Johnson is now on holiday for a rare well earned break leaving us in the capable hands of Mr Raab.
The smelly creek is evident,the paddle is nowhere to be found aboard this rotting ship......

......then there's the offshore rocks and the whirlpool of Brexit......

......where are the drivers......

.....we can always use the Visa card........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Edited to make less offensive so apologies if this does offend but I wonder why comments of this clarity are not more widely publicised :?
New Picture (2).jpg
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Sequence of events:

Goldsmith loses H of C seat.

Johnson en-nobles Goldsmith

Goldsmith happens to have a luxury villa in Marbella

Johnson happens to stay there for a well earned rest

Entirely coincidental, of course.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I see Kwasi Kwartang has been lying again:-
Apparently shortages have nothing to do with Brexit :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

This was an extract from a City forecast ipublished n the Guardian today.

"Analysis from Citi estimated the UK economy would be between 2% and 3% smaller in 2024-25 than before the pandemic, with Brexit causing a deeper scarring effect than Covid."

“The scarring just because of the pandemic may not be as large as we thought last year. The scarring due to Brexit may actually be larger,” said Christian Schulz, the bank’s director of European economics. “Brexit is casting a long shadow over the economy.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

House of CommonsHealth and Social Care and Science and Technology Committees
"Coronavirus: lessons learned to date":
https://committees.parliament.uk/public ... 7/default/

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

PhilD28 wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 7:46am This was an extract from a City forecast ipublished n the Guardian today.

"Analysis from Citi estimated the UK economy would be between 2% and 3% smaller in 2024-25 than before the pandemic, with Brexit causing a deeper scarring effect than Covid."

“The scarring just because of the pandemic may not be as large as we thought last year. The scarring due to Brexit may actually be larger,” said Christian Schulz, the bank’s director of European economics. “Brexit is casting a long shadow over the economy.”
The gaurdian would be saying that wouldn't it. They have been anti brexit from the start, and of course the current mess is not suiting their middle class metropolitan elite readers, and as such they will be jumping on the bandwagon and telling their readers what they want to hear.

But brexit for most was about levelling up and now without a mass cheap imported workforce, finally our low paid workers in the hardest jobs are starting to get recognised for what they do and rewarded accordingly.

Brexit was never going to suit me and as such I didn't vote for it, but I do think it is working out pretty well for many who did.

And is their really a workforce shortage, 1.2 million job vacancies and 1.3 million out of work. Jobs in transport, warehousing, slaughter houses, food processing, hospitality, agriculture need to become a lot more attractive.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 8:19am... finally our low paid workers in the hardest jobs are starting to get recognised for what they do and rewarded accordingly.
My emboldening. Please could you give an example of that? (Average pay for HGV drivers is about £32k pa.)

Current policies are pushing people into poverty at an unprecedented rate.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The Bank of England makes it very clear that immigrants have virtually no affect on wages. The report referred to above wasn’t the Guardian: it was the independent bank and the H of C select committee.

Oh, and the BBC and Telegraph also reported it.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 12 Oct 2021, 8:32am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

About a year ago, the independent recruitment body for the top job at the BBC said that Paul Dacre was unsuitable.

Johnson still wants him in. How does he get around this?

Easy. He scraps the recruitment process.
John
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Pebble wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 8:19am But brexit for most was about levelling up and now without a mass cheap imported workforce, finally our low paid workers in the hardest jobs are starting to get recognised for what they do and rewarded accordingly.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheap European labour was encouraged to hide middle class wage stagnation, without it the middle classes will begin to see the truth and the Tories will struggle to cover up the fact that what is really needed to 'level up' is to tax the rich and give tax breaks to the poor. During the 'swinging 60's' the top rate of tax was 90%.

And as for the argument that such a high rate of tax will mean that all the richest people will leave the country, I'd just say to those concerned 'could we have that in writing please'. :D