Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by al_yrpal »

Some immigrants, the non English speaking ones that I encountered first hand. Try twisting the facts all you like, the truth is truth, a thing 'woke' folk often dont seem to be able to handle.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The biggest fact in this is the number of deaths in the UK. Then there's the fact of the death rates in other countries, which you suggested were wrongly counted. Then there's the fact of the excess deaths in "BAME folk", but that fact somehow got confused between immigrants, people with nonwhite skin, and nonEnglish speakers.

It would be a great idea to stick to facts in a public health emergency, and when we work out what just happened to our country.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looks like you can never let facts get in the way of a good prejudice.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:41pm Some immigrants, the non English speaking ones that I encountered first hand. Try twisting the facts all you like, the truth is truth, a thing 'woke' folk often dont seem to be able to handle.

Al
You have offered no facts whatever. Just speculation and prejudice.

And the scientific journal "Nature Medicine" is apparently "woke", we now discover.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:08pm Yup, the easy way out. Blame it on the government. Suggest anything else might be a factor and get vilified... :? Leaves one wondering why the opposition is much less popular?

Al
I’m not sure who else to blame for government policies other than the government.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 7:31pm
I’m not sure who else to blame for government policies other than the government.

President Truman was clear about this.
Attachments
buck.jpg
buck.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 482 times
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"As a former president, Truman decided that he did not wish to be on any corporate payroll, believing that taking advantage of such financial opportunities would diminish the integrity of the nation's highest office."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_S._ ... l_problems

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Johnson’s track record. This man is PM.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/vide ... SApp_Other
John
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 3:50pm I think its possible that our criteria for Covid deaths is different to other countries and that our large numbers of relatively new immigrants may have a bearing on our seemingly high death rates. Living in a place where there was a large number of immigrants with practically nil knowledge of English it wasn't difficult to realise that they werent taking the lockdown or social distancing seriously which explained the regular Covid outbreaks in local factories.
Al
al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:29pm Its a fact that BAME folk have fared far worse with infections and deaths during the pandemic, stating the obvious isnt contemptible. We English speakers were deluged with news in English about the dangers of infection. Imagine you cant speak the language and therefore dont appreciate the seriousness of the pandemic? How can the situation that BAME people have suffered be portrayed as blame? Living in rich Chester, remote Northumberland, the borders, or genteel Oxford it is very easy to be unaware of the bigger picture.
Al
Absolutely unbelievable.
Paulatic wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:54pm Looks like you can never let facts get in the way of a good prejudice.
I don't want to get banned again so i'll hold on to my thoughts but prejudice is not the word I'd use for the above.
As I said unbelievable!It seems like it's not just Boris's brain that is missing...
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:41pm Some immigrants, the non English speaking ones that I encountered first hand. Try twisting the facts all you like, the truth is truth, a thing 'woke' folk often dont seem to be able to handle.

Al
Maybe the "facts" will come from a full broad ranging public enquiry, although I'm not holding my breath on that one. In the meantime should you want to donate to this peoples enquiry chaired by a man with impeccible credentials you are welcome to do so before the evidence is buried.
https://www.peoplescovidinquiry.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

You have to feel a bit sorry for Johnson at times. For the last year (since becoming PM) he's had to be living in a skip so bad it takes more money than many of the electorate earn in a couple of years to "sort it out" ...

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

<offtopic>
Excellent view on Hancock from NewsBiscuit:
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2021/05/01/matt-hancock-still-awful/ wrote:Multiple sources have confirmed that Health Secretary Matt Hancock is still just awful, with the energy of that guy on the stag-do no-one knows that well, but who takes the paint-balling a bit too seriously.

Marianne Morrison is a regular in the same pub as Hancock.

‘He once claimed he was ex-TA, but when I asked him about it, his eyes rolled back and a robotic voice said “Loading”. He said he left because he bust his knee rescuing a puppy from a burning building. I asked him which knee but he didn’t know. Then he tried to look down my blouse, so I slapped him. He gave me a PPE contract to keep quiet, so fair play.’
</offtopic>

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:08pm Yup, the easy way out. Blame it on the government. Suggest anything else might be a factor and get vilified... :? Leaves one wondering why the opposition is much less popular?
There are many factors but by the far the biggest one has been incompetent government action and inaction, especially delaying lockdowns, dithering over a near-impossible "herd immunity" the first time and "let the bodies pile up" the second time. Maybe we will soon here the bonkers reason for delaying the third one soon.

Vilification is reserved for people who excuse all government incompetence and solely blame misbehaving minorities.

The opposition is not more popular because they are failing to get the message across that Boris's decisions and indecision has killed tens of thousands.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 1 May 2021, 5:58pm .....
The opposition is not more popular because they are failing to get the message across that Boris's decisions and indecision has killed tens of thousands.
I've been wondering is Labour's lack of poll gains is in part due to their being more responsible in a time of pandemic and (as far as is reasonable) to support the Government. Most of the Government's work at the moment seems related to Covid and I suspect that Labour would be taking pretty much the same steps though is a more timely manner without the dithering and delays. But it means that there are not the big policy disagreements that most opposition parties get publicity for. Starmer supporting a lockdown or Starmer wanting tourism restrictions and then supporting the Gov. when they eventually get round to acting does not get the headlines like arguing against tax cuts for the billionaires would.

I have assumed that if next General Election things are closer to normal Labour will have had time to establish their policy stances and Starmer will be better known. If by next General Election we are still fighting variants then I suspect Johnson will have made himself so unpopular (as we'd still be bouncing in and out of lockdown with a destroyed economy) Starmer could be a jellyfish from Alpha Centauri and he'd still be winning a majority.

But I'm not a political commentator.

Ian
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

PhilD28 wrote: 1 May 2021, 9:38am

Al
Maybe the "facts" will come from a full broad ranging public enquiry, although I'm not holding my breath on that one. In the meantime should you want to donate to this peoples enquiry chaired by a man with impeccible credentials you are welcome to do so before the evidence is buried.
https://www.peoplescovidinquiry.com

No doubt it will be as successful as the campaign for a so-called “people’s vote” for another referendum.

Resounding success that was...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.