Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote: 30 May 2021, 10:37am
661-Pete wrote: 30 May 2021, 9:29am Ah I see. I see also that this wedding was staged in Westminster Cathedral, a Roman Catholic place of worship. But I thought that the RC's had some problem with re-marrying divorcees. Or am I wrong?

Oh well, remember Henry VIII and what he pulled off! Or rather, 'chopped off'.....
Johnson was baptised catholic and married, twice, Anglican churches. These marriages therefore done count. It seems that the Catholic Church can be as Machiavellian as Johnson.

His children will be pleased to discover that they are illegitimate.
Nevertheless, Anne Boleyn Carrie might be well advised to don a steel gorget. :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Apparently I'm not the only one querying the validity of the said nuptials.

And I'm not even a Christian - let alone a Catholic. What must devout Catholics the world over be thinking?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 30 May 2021, 7:05pm Apparently I'm not the only one querying the validity of the said nuptials.

And I'm not even a Christian - let alone a Catholic. What must devout Catholics the world over be thinking?
And the constitutional implications:
https://rozenberg.substack.com/p/boris- ... ck-bishops
https://venerablepuzzle.wordpress.com/2 ... -act-1829/

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

661-Pete wrote: 30 May 2021, 7:05pm Apparently I'm not the only one querying the validity of the said nuptials.

Yeah right, I'm sure it's headline news all over South and Central America. I've just looked through two German newspapers (remember southern Germany is largely Catholic). One doesn't seem to have reported it. The other has, doesn't mention the Catholic bit at all, and is far more interested in the fact he has at least six children, plus, allegedly, a child from an extramarital relationship.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Ben@Forest wrote: 31 May 2021, 2:20pm he has at least six children, plus, allegedly, a child from an extramarital relationship.
It appears that in his own opinion all his children are illegitimate. He was allowed to make this marriage on the basis that his two past apparent marriages were in fact invalid and so had never really existed in the eyes of his church. By entering into the marriage presumably he has in effect declared that he accepts this position to be true.

There had been a joke going around earlier to the effect that the man who gave us the Boris bus and the Boris bike had now given us the Boris <i>[rude word removed]</i>. There now appear to be, at least in their father's opinion, several such.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Boris's Brain is missing.

Who's Boris?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Much of this just confirms that Boris Johnson's brain isn't missing, but rather indicates where it's located.

I knew he'd been christened in the Roman Catholic Church but I've read today that at Eton, he converted to what it seems appropriate to refer to as the Henry VIII variant. On that basis, he's reconverted.

Does it matter which version of self-deception/ wishful thinking he chooses? Did he give it much thought before acceding to the wishes of SWMBA?

Tony Blair kept schtum about his plans for reorganising things beyond the pearly gates until after he had stepped down from his role here below. Perhaps that helped him play the role of an impartial broker (if not necessarily an honest one) in NI when negotiating the GFA. Boris Johnson does not rely on the DUP in the way that his predecessor did. Perhaps he believes it will help with the Biden administration. Perhaps his goals are closer to home.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 31 May 2021, 3:14pm Much of this just confirms that Boris Johnson's brain isn't missing, but rather indicates where it's located.

I knew he'd been christened in the Roman Catholic Church but I've read today that at Eton, he converted to what it seems appropriate to refer to as the Henry VIII variant. On that basis, he's reconverted.
You remind me of a rhyme.
Don't speak of your Protestant minister,
Nor of his church without meaning or faith,
For the foundation stone of his temple
Was the <i>[rude word removed]</i> of Henry VIII
Brendan Behan.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

More of the same
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/peter-cruddas-lords-donor-cash-for-peerages-b1858986.html wrote:Disgraced Tory who Boris Johnson gave House of Lords seat against official advice donates £500k to party
Three days after he was introduced in the Lords as a Tory peer Peter Cruddas handed £500,000 to Conservative central office, according to newly released Electoral Commission records.

Lord Cruddas, a former Tory treasurer, had been subject to objections from the Lords sleaze watchdog because of his role in a previous cash-for-access scandal.
Maybe unusual that he took 3 days to pay for what we can only guess he was paying for.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anyone remember Johnson boasting of his brexit deal?

Well now it seems that he is pleading with the EU to let him trade within our own country. Sovereignty! Of course he says no one realised how complicated it would be at Northern Ireland. Yes they did but you wouldn’t listen, with your oven ready nonsense. He says that the EU are being petty and not letting us sell our sausages. But we knew all along that by June, unless a trade deal was in place, we would be a third country in terms of selling raw meat.

Led by donkeys.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well, when one hears about the EUs pettifogging regulations where only awful greasy tasteless Toulouse or Bratwursts will do its no wonder the Prods are up in arms. Give me a good old JS Taste the Difference caremalised onion banger every time! Resist the Franco German Empire. Perhaps they have a point on chicken nuggets and turkey twislers though :wink: The Guardian comment section is aflame with riteous indignation. Perhaps after all Boris should have insisted the Republic set up its own customs border to resist the importation of superior sausages in defiance of the GF deal?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Boris sold this as a great deal. And it isn't about sausages. It's meat products and surely the EU are right in protecting their meat supply. This was all known when he signed the deal. There are no surprises.

I have seen no evidence that the rules are pettifogging. Perhaps you could point me to where this is the case? And remember that protecting Melton Mowbray pies and Cornish pasties was what you would call pettifogging.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 10 Jun 2021, 6:09am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 7:48am Well, when one hears about the EUs pettifogging regulations where only awful greasy tasteless Toulouse or Bratwursts will do its no wonder the Prods are up in arms. Give me a good old JS Taste the Difference caremalised onion banger every time! Resist the Franco German Empire. Perhaps they have a point on chicken nuggets and turkey twislers though :wink: The Guardian comment section is aflame with riteous indignation. Perhaps after all Boris should have insisted the Republic set up its own customs border to resist the importation of superior sausages in defiance of the GF deal?

Al
Lord Barwell, May's former chief of staff said,
It's tempting to believe that - despite all the warnings - the government "underestimated the effect of the protocol", but I'm pretty sure it's not true. They knew it was a bad deal but agreed it to get Brexit done, intending to wriggle out of it later
Theresa May's former chief of staff is "pretty sure it's not true" that the government underestimated the impact of the NI Protocol when it agreed to it.

The protocol is the part of the Brexit deal that creates a trade border between Northern Ireland and GB.

Brexit Minister Lord Frost wrote at the weekend that the UK had "underestimated the effect of the protocol on goods movements to Northern Ireland"
But Lord Barwell said Boris Johnson's government "knew it was a bad deal".
They "agreed to get Brexit done", he argued.
"Get it done"? It ain't done yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57382239

This sort of behaviour is characteristic of Johnson.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If folk in Northern Ireland are willing to eat Sainsburys meat and bangers just like you and me, why cant they, millions of us do? Its just pettifogging buearocracy on the part of the EU. Buearocrats often create their own Empires to justify their existence, anyone who has worked in the public sector is aware of that. Putting an EU border in the Irish sea was never going to work and it hasnt. The politicians had better sort it out before there is more violence.
Personally I would like to see Ireland united in or out of the EU.
I listened to the EU bloke extolling to the Prods about the opportunities existing in their 500 million market. It showed how completely out of touch with reality they are.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 7:17am ....Of course he says no one realised how complicated it would be at Northern Ireland. Yes they did but you wouldn’t listen, with your oven ready nonsense. He says that the EU are being petty and not letting us sell our sausages. But we knew all along that by June, unless a trade deal was in place, we would be a third country in terms of selling raw meat.
One really worrying aspect is that, even if you believe their own claims, this Government rushes to sign an international commitment without understanding what it means - and that's their spin on it!

On that basis things do not look for all these fabulous future deals they keep talking about (which based on recent experience they also probably don't understand).

Ian