Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 8:14am Boris sold this as a great deal. And it isn't about sausages. It's raw meat and surely the EU are right in protecting their meat supply. This was all known when he signed the deal. There are no surprises.
Particularly justified when the UK Government keep making such a lot of noise about allowing Aus meats into UK (hormone fed) and this amazing US trade deal (which allowing chlorine washed poo in labeled as meat, etc. seems a cast in stone requirement). We might not have drifted far from EU standards yet but UK Gov. has clearly indicated it's direction of movement and intent and then the EU would not have anything close to "equivalence".

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:22am If folk in Northern Ireland are willing to eat Sainsburys meat and bangers just like you and me, why cant they, millions of us do? Its just pettifogging buearocracy on the part of the EU....
The reason they can't is because Johnson's Government negotiated and signed an international treaty stopping it. EU wanted something more open but Johnson refused and sought what we now have.

It's not about EU bureaucracy, it's about the EU protecting it's food standards when the UK will not give adequate undertakings.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:21am
al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:22am If folk in Northern Ireland are willing to eat Sainsburys meat and bangers just like you and me, why cant they, millions of us do? Its just pettifogging buearocracy on the part of the EU....
The reason they can't is because Johnson's Government negotiated and signed an international treaty stopping it. EU wanted something more open but Johnson refused and sought what we now have.

It's not about EU bureaucracy, it's about the EU protecting it's food standards when the UK will not give adequate undertakings.

Ian
No it isnt its about common sense, nothing to do with Boris. The EU seem to want to see blood on the streets in preference to people in NI eating food we all eat. But, their regulations are paramount to them!
Its easy to see why the majority here voted to get out. The EUs reputation for pettifogging stupidity is getting reinforced minute by minute.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The main thing is to proceed on the basis that it's all the EU's fault.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:31am
Psamathe wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:21am

Ian
No it isnt its about common sense, nothing to do with Boris. The EU seem to want to see blood on the streets in preference to people in NI eating food we all eat. But, their regulations are paramount to them!
Its easy to see why the majority here voted to get out. The EUs reputation for pettifogging stupidity is getting reinforced minute by minute.

Al
NI eating the food we all eat was actually the EU's preferred choice but rejected by Johnson et fanatics.

EU has food standards, standards we in the UK helped create and happily agreed to. Just because the UK decides to leave does not mean the entire rest of the EU is going to abandon those food standards (and it's pretty ludicrous for UK to expect them to). UK has said how keen it is to allow food not complying to those standards into UK so, without commitment to equivalence no open border is possible- something which has always been obvious and known.

Ian
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:22am If folk in Northern Ireland are willing to eat Sainsburys meat and bangers just like you and me, why cant they, millions of us do? Its just pettifogging buearocracy on the part of the EU. Buearocrats often create their own Empires to justify their existence, anyone who has worked in the public sector is aware of that. Putting an EU border in the Irish sea was never going to work and it hasnt. The politicians had better sort it out before there is more violence.
Personally I would like to see Ireland united in or out of the EU.
I listened to the EU bloke extolling to the Prods about the opportunities existing in their 500 million market. It showed how completely out of touch with reality they are.

Al
I'm absolutely with you on wanting to see a united Ireland, unfortunately many in southern Ireland, just like in the North don't want that outcome.

As for the issue of uncooked meats into the North from Britain, this was clearly known and spelled out by civil servents to BJ's government before they signed up to it. So why did they agree and sign up to it?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We are not expecting the EU to change anything they do. That is just hyperbole. Nothing wrong with our food standards whatsoever which in some cases are better than theirs especially in terms of animal welfare.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 12:42pm We are not expecting the EU to change anything they do. That is just hyperbole. Nothing wrong with our food standards whatsoever which in some cases are better than theirs especially in terms of animal welfare.
Any agreement on such long term issues require a commitment. We may mostly comply with EU standards a few months after leaving the EU but UK Gov. has and continues to make it very clear they intend to allow other products into UK which do not comply (Aus meats are not to current UK standards, US chlorine washed poo is not yet would have to be allowed in for any US trade deal). So all the UK is committing to is divergence and it is ludicrous to expect the EU to agree to such a (lack of) commitment.

All made harder as Uk has broken trust (through unilateral changes e.g. as currently being taken to court by EU). When the EU has to take UK to court just months after an agreement came into force there is no trust and UK is daft to be taking the approach it is taking.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PhilD28 wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 12:38pm

As for the issue of uncooked meats into the North from Britain, this was clearly known and spelled out by civil servents to BJ's government before they signed up to it. So why did they agree and sign up to it?
As Lord Barwell suggests (see my post above) Johnson wanted to "get it done" and was prepared to fudge the details. He expected to be able to dodge the problem later, when it became obvious. Which is what he is trying to do now, blaming it on the EU.
Barwell said, in so many words, on Today this morning, that the civil servants would have pointed out the problems at the time.
"No border down the Irish Sea" promised Johnson!
His words should never be trusted. He will make any promise and trust to his ability to bluster through any resulting problems.
I am always reminded of his taking on the starring part in the school play, and not bothering to learn his lines.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Mike Sales wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 12:49pm
PhilD28 wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 12:38pm

As Lord Barwell suggests (see my post above) Johnson wanted to "get it done" and was prepared to fudge the details. He expected to be able to dodge the problem later, when it became obvious. Which is what he is trying to do now, blaming it on the EU.
Barwell said, in so many words, on Today this morning, that the civil servants would have pointed out the problems at the time.
"No border down the Irish Sea" promised Johnson!
His words should never be trusted. He will make any promise and trust to his ability to bluster through any resulting problems.
I am always reminded of his taking on the starring part in the school play, and not bothering to learn his lines.
I agree entirely and the issue is one of honesty and morals, fundamentals to any fair and respectable society.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 7:48am Well, when one hears about the EUs pettifogging regulations where only awful greasy tasteless Toulouse or Bratwursts will do its no wonder the Prods are up in arms. Give me a good old JS Taste the Difference caremalised onion banger every time! Resist the Franco German Empire. Perhaps they have a point on chicken nuggets and turkey twislers though :wink: The Guardian comment section is aflame with riteous indignation. Perhaps after all Boris should have insisted the Republic set up its own customs border to resist the importation of superior sausages in defiance of the GF deal?

Al
Are you sure there are no straight bananas to blame as well!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 1:57pm More of the same
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/peter-cruddas-lords-donor-cash-for-peerages-b1858986.html wrote:Disgraced Tory who Boris Johnson gave House of Lords seat against official advice donates £500k to party
Three days after he was introduced in the Lords as a Tory peer Peter Cruddas handed £500,000 to Conservative central office, according to newly released Electoral Commission records.

Lord Cruddas, a former Tory treasurer, had been subject to objections from the Lords sleaze watchdog because of his role in a previous cash-for-access scandal.
Maybe unusual that he took 3 days to pay for what we can only guess he was paying for.

Ian
I assumed it was cash-on-delivery. The best way to proceed when you don't trust the vendor.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 7:48am Well, when one hears about the EUs pettifogging regulations where only awful greasy tasteless Toulouse or Bratwursts will do its no wonder the Prods are up in arms. Give me a good old JS Taste the Difference caremalised onion banger every time! Resist the Franco German Empire. Perhaps they have a point on chicken nuggets and turkey twislers though :wink: The Guardian comment section is aflame with riteous indignation. Perhaps after all Boris should have insisted the Republic set up its own customs border to resist the importation of superior sausages in defiance of the GF deal?

Al
British sausages have a minimum of 42% meat, or even 32%.
German bratwurst minimum 80% meat.
Toulouse sausage all meat plus pepper and garlic.

I guess it is what you are used to, but you do pay for a lot of filler in a banger.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The germans make a big thing about the percentage of meat and the ingredients of their beer but it doesn't help them be any nicer than our bangers or ales. As you say its what you are used to and what you prefer.
The green lobby want us to eat less meat so we are obviously with them there on the bangers and personally I always prefer a decent 3.5% flavourful real ale rather than a gassy acid tummy so called lager.

Al
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 2:29pm The germans make a big thing about the percentage of meat and the ingredients of their beer but it doesn't help them be any nicer than our bangers or ales. As you say its what you are used to and what you prefer.
The green lobby want us to eat less meat so we are obviously with them there on the bangers and personally I always prefer a decent 3.5% flavourful real ale rather than a gassy acid tummy so called lager.

Al
The Germans now make all sorts of beer.
Fot five hundred years brewing was regulated by the Reinheitsgebot which meant that beer could be brewed only from barley, hops and water.
Now that Germany is ruled by the French/ German empire they have had to accept lesser standards!

Of course nobody is forced to drink so called lager: the consumer has decided.
I would have thought that you would approve of the sovereignty of the market.