Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, In an item by a former Irish Senior Diplomat, published today in the DT, he says that Ireland may be the next Brexit style candidate?
All to do with the E.U. playing the hard card against it, with serious ramifications for our near neighbour.
Under post Brexit Common Fisheries Policy the I.R. is only allowed 15.5% of the total fisheries allocation in it's own waters?
To quote Ray Bassett, the ex-diplomat, "The interests of France, Spain and the Netherlands clearly trumped those of the Irish"!
"Irexit may be emerging as a credible prospect in the future", unquote. MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:22am If folk in Northern Ireland are willing to eat Sainsburys meat and bangers just like you and me, why cant they, millions of us do? Its just pettifogging buearocracy on the part of the EU. Buearocrats often create their own Empires to justify their existence, anyone who has worked in the public sector is aware of that. Putting an EU border in the Irish sea was never going to work and it hasnt. The politicians had better sort it out before there is more violence.
Personally I would like to see Ireland united in or out of the EU.
I listened to the EU bloke extolling to the Prods about the opportunities existing in their 500 million market. It showed how completely out of touch with reality they are.

Al
Johnson set up the agreement, boasted of it and persuaded Parliament to pass it.
John
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

If you get an invitation to Johnsons for dinner, "Oven Ready", be very wary
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

So what? Its not what Boris did its about common sense. The EU doesnt seem to possess any. Ireland next, problem solved... :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For common sense read "In my opinion."
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is indeed about what Johnson did. No-one else did it. He, alone for the UK negotiated and signed the agreement which spelt all this out. He went into it with open eyes and boasted of his success, forcing his MPs on threat of sacking to sign up. It was a condition of retaining the party whip and selection. None of this was about the EU's pettifogging or lack of common sense. Give even said 4 months ago that the meat issue was resolved. Jenrick, when asked about this, said they didn't realise that either side would follow the agreement.

Led by donkeys. Lying donkeys.

To others the pitfalls were obvious. They were even commented on on these pages.
John
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 5:41pm So what? Its not what Boris did its about common sense. The EU doesnt seem to possess any. Ireland next, problem solved... :D

Al
You are attempting to defend the lies of a proven liar, not a good look.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The UK wanted to be a third country. Sovereignty, it was called. Now it is a third country it doesn't like what it was told it would be.

And it isn't sausages because N Ireland makes its own.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've never seen any mention in the Irish agreement that rules concerning 3rd countries could be ignored.
Frost and Johnson may have hoped this would happen but unless it's in writing it was only a hope.
I think the EU's level of mistrust of this government prevents it 'tweaking' the rules as they suspect it won't end there.

The EU has a set of rules (not all good) that controls how trade works.
The UK had enough of this and left and will, I hope, show how they can prosper outside
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 7:33am I've never seen any mention in the Irish agreement that rules concerning 3rd countries could be ignored.
Frost and Johnson may have hoped this would happen but unless it's in writing it was only a hope.
I think the EU's level of mistrust of this government prevents it 'tweaking' the rules as they suspect it won't end there.

The EU has a set of rules (not all good) that controls how trade works.
The UK had enough of this and left and will, I hope, show how they can prosper outside
EU is being flexible e.g. to alleviate the immediate problem it has proposed temporary alignment
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/09/brexit-what-is-the-northern-ireland-row-about wrote:...
The EU has suggested a temporary food standards or veterinary agreement would do away with 80% of the checks but the UK said has ruled out any deal that would involve the UK following EU rules even for a period of a few years...
So UK is declining solutions because it wants everything it's own way - the "its and everybody elses' cake and eat it". everybody else has to change so the UK can get what it wants. UK can only hope that once Johnson has gone we can do a bit of Biden's "blip over, sorry everybody, normal service resumed ..."

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The UK got what it voted for on both counts. It's the accompanying horlicks that's more depressing for me. Yes but no but we never thought, it's all so unfair... MTFU {FFE - family-friendly edit }. Political infantilism at its worst - I just wonder how many really buy this nonsense?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The people who today condemn the NI protocol as unworkable are the very same as those who wrote, negotiated, promoted, boasted of, signed and pushed through through parliament.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:30am The people who today condemn the NI protocol as unworkable are the very same as those who wrote, negotiated, promoted, boasted of, signed and pushed through through parliament.
Ah but yebbutnobut EU bureaucracy. Wif-waf, what.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:17am I just wonder how many really buy this nonsense?
The secret of populist lies is that they are what people (some people) want to believe.
Johnson is good at telling the lies which work at the time, but he does not worry about the later consequences. If the stone tossed over the wall makes a nice sound of breaking glass, he is happy.
If the lie gets him what he wants at the time he expects to be able to talk his way out when the chickens come home.
In this case he has the EU as a useful scarecrow, as so often before.
He based a lot of his journalistic career on lying about the EU.
These lies are what the Brexiters want to believe.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 10 Jun 2021, 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 12:23pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:17am I just wonder how many really buy this nonsense?
The secret of populist lies is that they are what people (some people) want to believe.
Johnson is good at telling the lies which work at the time, but he does not worry about the later consequences. If the stone tossed over the wall makes a nice sound of breaking glass, he is happy.
If the lie gets him what he wants at the time he expects to be able to talk his way out when the chickens come home.
In this case he has the EU as a useful scarecrow, as so often before.
This is what the Brexiters want to believe.
Yes but do they really believe it. I think our own most ardent supporter of brexit's all rather tongue-in-cheek these days, if I read things correctly.