Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stradageek

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Stradageek »

I still remember breakfast TV presenters (many many years ago when I watched that rubbish on my way out to work) challenging viewers to summarise novels in as few words as possible. They went embarrassingly quiet when rather than summarising a novel one viewer summarised breakfast TV instead as 'Two overpaid celebrities flirting on a couch'.

So here's a challenge; describe Boris Johnson in as few words as possible, I'd go for: Lazy narcissist.

Any advances?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Abject pathalogical liar.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I'll go for two words...bumbling fool

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

I could do it in 1 word but I would get in trouble with the moderators!

I'll fo for 2:

Sociopathic Manipulator
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I too could do it in one but would get banned!

Typical Tory.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 11:38am
Psamathe wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 11:35amPlenty of time until next election and closer to election I'd expect all sorts of cash to be thrown into the "Red Wall" constituencies to "buy votes" (except that risks a negative reaction from constituencies not getting such hand-outs and further highlighting all the sleaze stories)...
What's the state of the legal challenge to the recent allocation from central government? I saw the analysis by electoral advantage, but was there ever an application for judicial review?
Application for judicial review... permission granted.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FioBW7 ... NxnV7/view

Please consider donating to support this:
https://goodlawproject.org/update/good- ... -to-court/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

From the Chair of the Committee on Standards in Public Life to the Chancellor of the Duchy of lancaster:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y_2021.pdf

"Members of the Committee have, however, expressed concerns about our lack of visible diversity now as a group. With a remit across public life, the Committee needs to be representative of the people we serve."

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 6:08pm From the Chair of the Committee on Standards in Public Life to the Chancellor of the Duchy of lancaster:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y_2021.pdf

"Members of the Committee have, however, expressed concerns about our lack of visible diversity now as a group. With a remit across public life, the Committee needs to be representative of the people we serve."

Jonathan
Latest appointment
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/standards-committee-sleaze-ethnic-diversity-b1907044.html wrote:...
The appointment of City solicitor Mr Fergusson sparked controversy last month because he was a member with the prime minister of Oxford University’s exclusive male-only Bullingdon Club dining society.
Bullingdon over representation or diversity.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Johnson’s latest trade envoy to Australia, Lord Botham: “ We need to remember that England is an island…”

I obviously use the wrong atlas.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 8:42am Johnson’s latest trade envoy to Australia, Lord Botham: “ We need to remember that England is an island…”

I suspect he was talking ideologically.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 11:00am
Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 8:42am Johnson’s latest trade envoy to Australia, Lord Botham: “ We need to remember that England is an island…”

I suspect he was talking ideologically.

Ian
I suspect there are way to many UK citizens with that misguided ideological outlook!
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 8:42am Johnson’s latest trade envoy to Australia, Lord Botham...
Who else wondered if the announcement was a spoof?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 11:16am
Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 8:42am Johnson’s latest trade envoy to Australia, Lord Botham...
Who else wondered if the announcement was a spoof?

Jonathan
It was my first thought until I looked at the press page and saw the pic of Johnson & Botham glasses in hand and given Botham's Brexit support

But also, in context
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ian-botham-trade-australia-brexit-b1907009.html wrote:...
Several other supporters of brexit have been handed top jobs with Ms Truss’s department. Baroness Kate Hoey, the former Labour MP who was given a peerage in 2020, has been appointed trade envoy to Ghana. DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has been handed the equivalent role for Cameroon.
Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread:
This morning's interview with the Foreign Secretary:
https://mobile.twitter.com/sturdyAlex/s ... 6785661953
I heard it and my feeling as it was happening was, how do these people get appointed to such senior posts.
These are pure patronage: no identifiable recruitment process and no transparency.

And no pay, which means that a whole lot of competent people can't do them.

And no democratic accountability.

But it's even worse than that. By appointing "parliamentarians" it creates a conflict of interest when they should be holding the Executive to account.

Jonathan