Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
markjohnobrien

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by markjohnobrien »

Psamathe wrote: 1 May 2021, 7:50pm
mjr wrote: 1 May 2021, 5:58pm .....
The opposition is not more popular because they are failing to get the message across that Boris's decisions and indecision has killed tens of thousands.
I've been wondering is Labour's lack of poll gains is in part due to their being more responsible in a time of pandemic and (as far as is reasonable) to support the Government. Most of the Government's work at the moment seems related to Covid and I suspect that Labour would be taking pretty much the same steps though is a more timely manner without the dithering and delays. But it means that there are not the big policy disagreements that most opposition parties get publicity for. Starmer supporting a lockdown or Starmer wanting tourism restrictions and then supporting the Gov. when they eventually get round to acting does not get the headlines like arguing against tax cuts for the billionaires would.

I have assumed that if next General Election things are closer to normal Labour will have had time to establish their policy stances and Starmer will be better known. If by next General Election we are still fighting variants then I suspect Johnson will have made himself so unpopular (as we'd still be bouncing in and out of lockdown with a destroyed economy) Starmer could be a jellyfish from Alpha Centauri and he'd still be winning a majority.

But I'm not a political commentator.

Ian
Labour lack of poll gains and why many voters despise Labour and all it stands for is (and conversely give Boris the benefit of the doubt) well laid out by Janice Turner in the Times (she is not a Conservative voter): Why Johnson will always get away with it

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5c3a ... 6f8fcbc93a
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mjr

Post by mjr »

"they like the fact that his messy, chaotic life is like many ordinary families" - come off it!

"the white working class resents professionals but admires the rich" - so we are an amorphous blob with a uniform view to them, eh?

"No one wants to listen to a pursed-lip puritan before the party — they’d rather dance with the messy bitch" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I expect the Conservatives strategists have better reasoning than that hack job.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 1 May 2021, 8:08pm
PhilD28 wrote: 1 May 2021, 9:38am
al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:41pm Some immigrants, the non English speaking ones that I encountered first hand. Try twisting the facts all you like, the truth is truth, a thing 'woke' folk often dont seem to be able to handle.

Al
Maybe the "facts" will come from a full broad ranging public enquiry, although I'm not holding my breath on that one. In the meantime should you want to donate to this peoples enquiry chaired by a man with impeccible credentials you are welcome to do so before the evidence is buried.
https://www.peoplescovidinquiry.com

No doubt it will be as successful as the campaign for a so-called “people’s vote” for another referendum.

Resounding success that was...
There is a significant difference, this isn’t a campaign to make something happen, it is already set up and taking evidence. The chair is a man of substance having previously been involved in the Stephen Lawrence and Hillsborough enquiries so it has immediate credibility. Also if you look at it’s website you will find the list of organisers and individuals who are supporting it are not inconsequential. All the signs are that this enquiry will gather significant evidence (clue- it already has) and will produce a substantial report.
The question of course is how that report is acted upon by government.
However, having this evidence gathered, documented and publicised by a credible body will counteract attempts at a whitewash by this contemptible government.

It has both my support and a little of my hard earned cash and I will gladly donate more in due course. What are you doing to get the truth out there?
Last edited by PhilD28 on 2 May 2021, 8:14am, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Theres a really good article about Boris by Laura Kuengsberg on the BBC News website - Boris disassembled!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today’s poll suggest the Tory lead is narrowing.

And the bbc, after many months of fence sitting, appears to be getting back to doing its job.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The current script is that no matter what else has happened, vaccination has been a huge success and that is the personal achievement of Boris Johnson. Printing money has mitigated the worst effects of the pandemic. At present, the other parties present no attractive alternative. There's nobody in his own party who is a credible alternative, just yet. My money is still on an early snap general election.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

markjohnobrien wrote: 1 May 2021, 8:08pm No doubt it will be as successful as the campaign for a so-called “people’s vote” for another referendum.

Resounding success that was...
A bit of sarcasm - always welcome! :twisted:

The People's Vote campaign was never going to achieve its ultimate aim of getting a second referendum. The established political system saw to that - whatever people on the street could have wished for. What it did achieve, was giving those of us who felt ill-served, ignored, isolated even, for the sin of being a minority in 2016 ... giving us a sense of identity, of belonging. My wife and I were on those marches, and it gave me a significant lift out of depression, just to be able to chat to people next to us without any occasion to argue with them. And there were moments of merriment too - the music, the funny costumes, the funny placards (some written in the Cornish language - full of insults :lol: )....

"...though cowards flinch and traitors sneer...."

Never mind.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:19am My money is still on an early snap general election.
Given they've an 80 seat majority, I'd say the chances of this are precisely zero.

So I exorcist the announcement tomorrow ;-)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Heard it on R4 this morning and reported as well
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nanny-flat-loan-b1840805.html wrote:Tory donors approached to pay for Boris Johnson’s nanny and personal trainer, reports say
I resent being asked to pay to literally wipe the prime minister’s baby’s bottom’ a supporter allegedly responded

Conservative donors were approached to cover the cost of a nanny for Boris Johnson’s son Wilfred, it has been reported — as party staff have been given one week to hand over all communication related to the Downing Street flat refurbishment.
The approach to donors over nanny costs was also reported in the Mail on Sunday, which said Tory bankrollers were also asked to cover the cost of a personal trainer for the prime minister.
So the Conservative Party has become Johnson's private slush fund?

Astounding how Johnson seems unable to separate Conservative ideology from his personal extravagant lifestyle. Why should party donors who are donating to pursue their political wishes be asked to support Johnson's however many kids, alimony, etc.. If Carrie Antoinette needs to live in the manner to which she has become accustomed then that's not something political party donors should be expected to pay for.

Ian
Edit: It's the type of story you read and think "No, you do these on 1 April, not 2 May".
Last edited by Psamathe on 2 May 2021, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:51am Given they've an 80 seat majority, I'd say the chances of this are precisely zero.

I wonder what word you were trying to type before the spellchecker took over... :lol:

P.S. perhaps we need someone like him to exorcise the 'liar-liar' demon from a certain individual....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:51am
Given they've an 80 seat majority, I'd say the chances of this are precisely zero.

I don't think the size of the current majority necessarily will affect this, except to the extent that it allows Boris Johnson to do almost as he likes. At the moment, he's riding along on the crest of a wave, but that's likely to be short-lived and the longer it's left, things look likely to get worse. Let's imaging that the May elections show Tory support in England, but a majority for the SNP. In any push for an independence referendum, the SNP will presumably maintain that independence is for Scotland alone to decide. That could be a hook on which to hang a general election so the whole of the UK could decide.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all :D , I personally don't Boris's Brain being absent is a major problem, although it may be a little used part of his anatomy!
No, the real problem is the influence that TBW (That Bloody Woman), I won't use her name would appear to have?
Cummings was bad, she is way more damaging!
I never liked the "Milk Snatcher", but at least Denis wasn't a Menace.
Many of the issues that cause Joe & Joanne Public concern all come down to transparency, which really means avoiding prevarication and plain old telling porkies! Maybe we introduced the Polygraph for use in all political debates? Maybe even coupled with the American "Old Sparkie" Chair 8) . TTFN MM
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete wrote: 2 May 2021, 11:08am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:51am Given they've an 80 seat majority, I'd say the chances of this are precisely zero.

I wonder what word you were trying to type before the spellchecker took over... :lol:

P.S. perhaps we need someone like him to exorcise the 'liar-liar' demon from a certain individual....
Oops!

If only the demon of nationalism could be removed from UK politics so easily.

Putting that genie back in the bottle won't be easy.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

merseymouth wrote: 2 May 2021, 11:19am Morning all :D , I personally don't Boris's Brain being absent is a major problem, although it may be a little used part of his anatomy!
No, the real problem is the influence that TBW (That Bloody Woman), I won't use her name would appear to have?
Cummings was bad, she is way more damaging!
I never liked the "Milk Snatcher", but at least Denis wasn't a Menace.
Many of the issues that cause Joe & Joanne Public concern all come down to transparency, which really means avoiding prevarication and plain old telling porkies! Maybe we introduced the Polygraph for use in all political debates? Maybe even coupled with the American "Old Sparkie" Chair 8) . TTFN MM
Ah yes, obviously the problems of a country with a male PM are caused by the power of the matriarchy.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:19am The current script is that no matter what else has happened, vaccination has been a huge success and that is the personal achievement of Boris Johnson. [...]
Shame for the Conservatives that it's not true, isn't it? Vaccination is one of the few things that Boris didn't hijack and outsource to a chum, instead mostly letting NHS (both central and GPs) get on with delivering. The bit Boris did direct, purchasing, seems to have been achieved at the expense of India, taking doses made there which helped allow cases to surge and new variants to arise, and the EU, messing up UK exports and tourism.

This really ought to come home to roost soon, along Boris's other covid turkey of Dido's tracing system that still isn't working and should delay lifting the last restrictions (but probably won't, which is risky).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.