Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 8:26am The Bank of England makes it very clear that immigrants have virtually no affect on wages. The report referred to above wasn’t the Guardian: it was the independent bank and the H of C select committee.

Oh, and the BBC and Telegraph also reported it.
"IFS Green Budget 2021":
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15688

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mr Gove, in his expert assessment, said in 2016:

“The one thing which will not change is our ability to trade freely with Europe”.

Ah, well.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 8:44am
Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 8:26am The Bank of England makes it very clear that immigrants have virtually no affect on wages. The report referred to above wasn’t the Guardian: it was the independent bank and the H of C select committee.

Oh, and the BBC and Telegraph also reported it.
"IFS Green Budget 2021":
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15688

Jonathan
https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/r ... migration/
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I guess that in the middle of the current ongoing crises not only is Johnson's brain missing, he is missing in his entirity. Maybe a good thing to help finding an answer to challenges.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My worry is that, not only do we have a dysfunctional PM and government, and an ineffective parliament due to the Tory majority, we are become a dysfunctional country in every way. Britain is no longer working.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think Johnson's failings are nore extensive than his own inaction/decisions on a decision. He appointed the Government and should be taking a degree of responsibility for their actions/inactions. e.g. this Frost chappy whose only purpose seems to be to infuriate the EU and ensure complete lack of their cooperation. Johnson appointed him and Johnson should be directing his actions so Johnson is responsible for the completely inept "negotiations" (on the UK's part). That Johnson does not replace the individual with somebody who can do the job is a failing of Johnson rather than Frost.

Ian
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Pebble wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 8:19am
PhilD28 wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 7:46am This was an extract from a City forecast ipublished n the Guardian today.

"Analysis from Citi estimated the UK economy would be between 2% and 3% smaller in 2024-25 than before the pandemic, with Brexit causing a deeper scarring effect than Covid."

“The scarring just because of the pandemic may not be as large as we thought last year. The scarring due to Brexit may actually be larger,” said Christian Schulz, the bank’s director of European economics. “Brexit is casting a long shadow over the economy.”
The gaurdian would be saying that wouldn't it. They have been anti brexit from the start, and of course the current mess is not suiting their middle class metropolitan elite readers, and as such they will be jumping on the bandwagon and telling their readers what they want to hear.

But brexit for most was about levelling up and now without a mass cheap imported workforce, finally our low paid workers in the hardest jobs are starting to get recognised for what they do and rewarded accordingly.

Brexit was never going to suit me and as such I didn't vote for it, but I do think it is working out pretty well for many who did.

And is their really a workforce shortage, 1.2 million job vacancies and 1.3 million out of work. Jobs in transport, warehousing, slaughter houses, food processing, hospitality, agriculture need to become a lot more attractive.
But the Guardian didn't say it, they reported word for word what a major report from Citi analysts said. How long are Brexiters going to keep up their denial of reality...astonishing. And Brexit was not about levelling up, that's just the latest spin to go with the writing on the bus.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Since it's been mentioned, I wonder if someone who uses the term can tell us what 'levelling up' means. It doesn't appear to mean helping the people at the bottom of the heap.

I must say, today is the first time I have ever heard the word in connection with Brexit.
John
Debs

Post by Debs »

Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:26pm Since it's been mentioned, I wonder if someone who uses the term can tell us what 'levelling up' means. It doesn't appear to mean helping the people at the bottom of the heap.

I must say, today is the first time I have ever heard the word in connection with Brexit.
Strange isn't it, I don't remember 'leveling up' ever being mentioned during Brexit and I've also never heard where the extra 350 million per week that was going to the NHS has gone either :roll:

How about we start a 'Tax the Rich' movement (without wearing a big white dress) but disguise it by calling it 'Leveling Down'?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Stradageek wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 8:14am
Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:26pm Since it's been mentioned, I wonder if someone who uses the term can tell us what 'levelling up' means. It doesn't appear to mean helping the people at the bottom of the heap.

Strange isn't it, I don't remember 'leveling up' ever being mentioned during Brexit and I've also never heard where the extra 350 million per week that was going to the NHS has gone either :roll:

How about we start a 'Tax the Rich' movement (without wearing a big white dress) but disguise it by calling it 'Leveling Down'?

People use the term on these pages but when asked never tell us what they mean. Similarly with the word ‘woke’.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Oct 2021, 9:15am, edited 1 time in total.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Stradageek wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 8:14am

Nor me, this spin is new.
I see no reason why 'levelling up' meant we had to leave the EU.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

levelling up is a gaming term.

Read into that what you will.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

So what does it mean in gaming?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

"Levelling up" means nothing.
Johnson will say anything he thinks sounds good and will ingratiate him with his audience.
What it actually means and whether it can be done can be taken care of later, usually with more blather.
He trusts to his clownish persona (and lies) to get out of any tight corner which results.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?