Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Mike Sales »

I may have posted this before, but the story so epitomises Johnson's M.O. that I risk repeating it.
The boy is father to the man.
When he was at Eton in the early 1980s, Boris Johnson did something that seems to have set the tone for the rest of his adult life.

Cast in the title role of a production of Shakespeare’s Richard II, he didn’t bother to learn his part.

The character of Richard II has 758 lines in his eponymously titled play. The part requires the actor to be on stage for most of the two-and-a-half hours running time. You can’t ‘wing’ Richard II. But Boris Johnson tried.

Pasting his lines on bits of paper about the place he hoofed the speeches and made up the rest – throwing in jokes whenever there was an awkward silence.

His father Stanley, who was in the audience, thought it was all ‘a hoot’. Nobody else did.

The other children who had spent hours attending rehearsals and learning their parts saw their hard work reduced to the ‘Boris show’. The headmaster, Eric Anderson, was furious.
Notice he leaves the mess for others to clear up, and expects to sail on regardless.
Cf. "No border in the Irish Sea."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

"Levelling up" is just the lastest in a long line Torisms which means "this is what we're saying as we steal more of your money to stuff into our offshore accounts".
Johnson is only the latest in a long line of creepy liars spawned by a loaded system long past it's time for destruction and replacement.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

reohn2 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 12:03pm "Levelling up" is just the lastest in a long line Torisms which means "this is what we're saying as we steal more of your money to stuff into our offshore accounts".
Johnson is only the latest in a long line of creepy liars spawned by a loaded system long past it's time for destruction and replacement.
I take it you’re not a fan.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 12:06pm
reohn2 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 12:03pm "Levelling up" is just the lastest in a long line Torisms which means "this is what we're saying as we steal more of your money to stuff into our offshore accounts".
I take it you’re not a fan.
I'd 'fan' the flames were the Tory party on a bonfire,the word scum doesn't begin to describe the obscenity that is the Tory Party.
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 10:46am I may have posted this before, but the story so epitomises Johnson's M.O. that I risk repeating it.
The boy is father to the man.
When he was at Eton in the early 1980s, Boris Johnson did something that seems to have set the tone for the rest of his adult life.

Cast in the title role of a production of Shakespeare’s Richard II, he didn’t bother to learn his part.

The character of Richard II has 758 lines in his eponymously titled play. The part requires the actor to be on stage for most of the two-and-a-half hours running time. You can’t ‘wing’ Richard II. But Boris Johnson tried.

Pasting his lines on bits of paper about the place he hoofed the speeches and made up the rest – throwing in jokes whenever there was an awkward silence.

His father Stanley, who was in the audience, thought it was all ‘a hoot’. Nobody else did.

The other children who had spent hours attending rehearsals and learning their parts saw their hard work reduced to the ‘Boris show’. The headmaster, Eric Anderson, was furious.
Notice he leaves the mess for others to clear up, and expects to sail on regardless.
Cf. "No border in the Irish Sea."
Yup, all the evidence was there yet people still voted for him. He is just a lazy narcissist. As mayor of London it took him 2 years (and three dismissed incumbents) to find a deputy willing to do all the work while he swanned around doing nothing.

Ever noticed that at all the COVID briefings he only appeared when there was good news to tell?

More contemptible than Maggie Thatcher and possibly only marginally less dangerous.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 12:40pm More contemptible than Maggie Thatcher and possibly only marginally less dangerous.
Yet!
EDIT:- though he no longer has any family silver to sell off.
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

Levelling up explained: (and he's not telling porkies!)

Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 1:00pm
What about the NHS?
A fine amount of land and buildings.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 3:44pm
What about the NHS?
With Anne-Marie Trevelyan in charge of international trade I very much doubt that the NHS is safe.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looking (to me) as though Johnson has not actually "Got Brexit Done" but rather, because he failed to read the large print is now having to try and unwind things to start significant bits again. Trouble is he heralded the previous deal only to then start blaming others.

How does this reflect of the UK as a trustworthy country to do business with? Anybody else want to make legally binding agreements with our PM?

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 4:33pm
Mike Sales wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 3:44pm
What about the NHS?
With Anne-Marie Trevelyan in charge of international trade I very much doubt that the NHS is safe.
Oops sorry chaps how absent minded of me,I forgot the very soul of the UK is up for auction :( .....
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 9:03am https://youtu.be/YLa0hVOU0Us
And from the Prime Minister's Chief Adviser:
Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 09.13.26.png
https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/ ... 9623038982

Jonathan
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

An interesting article about the low wage economy and immigration (clue, immigration isn't to blame- so reducing it won't resolve the problem):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ion-crisis