Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 5:41pm I thought a significant reason for brexit was that the UK's learned friends wanted to resist the encroachment of foreign legal systems, but then they turned out to be enemies of the people, after all.
The sad thing is,many people didn't,and still don't realise it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 3:46pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 2:14pm How sinister is this? Raab wants a mechanism to “correct court judgements”.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-echr ... eme-court/

Why bother with courts at all? And why bother with elections, or even parliament?

Yes. I've been saying that's one of the reasons behind Brexit for years. What I find surprising is that anyone is surprised by it.
It’s also rather worrying that the Secretary of State for Justice does seem to know the difference between the ECJ and the ECHR.
John
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Just to show how much he is a man of the people who empathises with those from all walks of life try today's quote:

Writing in the Sun, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said "the Greenshirts of the Boiler Police are not going to kick in your door with their sandal-clad feet and seize, at carrot-point, your trusty old combi"

And I thought Trump was a disconnected, privileged, elitist, narcissist
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 2:47am
pete75 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 3:46pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 2:14pm How sinister is this? Raab wants a mechanism to “correct court judgements”.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-echr ... eme-court/

Why bother with courts at all? And why bother with elections, or even parliament?

Yes. I've been saying that's one of the reasons behind Brexit for years. What I find surprising is that anyone is surprised by it.
It’s also rather worrying that the Secretary of State for Justice does seem to know the difference between the ECJ and the ECHR.
Remember this is the same man who, when Brexit Secretary, didn't realise the port of Dover was important for Britain's goods trade with Europe.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Stradageek wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 8:43am Just to show how much he is a man of the people who empathises with those from all walks of life try today's quote:

Writing in the Sun, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said "the Greenshirts of the Boiler Police are not going to kick in your door with their sandal-clad feet and seize, at carrot-point, your trusty old combi"

I was about to post exactly the same quote (as cross-reported in this item) but you beat me to it.

Which gallery is BoJo singing to, I wonder? Not his diehard blue-rinse leafy-suburban Tories for sure - they're rapidly defecting. The 'Red Wall' White Working Class uneducated lumpenproletariat? I suppose those words might strike a chord with some...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 12:30pm
Stradageek wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 8:43am Just to show how much he is a man of the people who empathises with those from all walks of life try today's quote:

I was about to post exactly the same quote (as cross-reported in this item) but you beat me to it.

Which gallery is BoJo singing to, I wonder? Not his diehard blue-rinse leafy-suburban Tories for sure - they're rapidly defecting. The 'Red Wall' White Working Class uneducated lumpenproletariat? I suppose those words might strike a chord with some...
They are the people who read the Sun.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A bit off-topic but it does not warrant a new seperate thread. I'm not restarting a Brexit debate but what I found horrific in the report quoted below is how MPs seem to fail to appreciate the concept that BBC reporters should be neutral on subject matter they cover, that appointing/requiring a reporter who holds specific views in ordr to bias their reports would cause complete loss of credibility in the BBC reports.

And to make it worse, the MP making seeking this bias is a chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee (I think he should step down immediately based on what he said)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kuenssberg-bbc-pro-brexit-tory-b1944008.html wrote:Laura Kuenssberg replacement at BBC should be ‘pro-Brexit’, says senior Tory MP
The BBC should hire a political editor who is “pro-Brexit” to replace Laura Kuenssberg if she leaves her role, a senior Conservative MP has said.

The high-profile BBC figure is in talks to step down as political editor after six years and switch to presenting the Today programme, it has been reported.
But MP Julian Knight, chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, said the corporation should “throw the net wider” and find a supporter of brexit to find a replacement if there is a vacancy in the key position.

“This would be an opportunity for the BBC, maybe, to look at journalists who had a much more pro-Brexit [approach],” the influential Tory told The Telegraph.
So Westminster Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee is now pushing the BBC to introduce deliberate bias in their reports to support the political/ideological views of the Committee!

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 12:04pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kuenssberg-bbc-pro-brexit-tory-b1944008.html wrote:Laura Kuenssberg replacement at BBC should be ‘pro-Brexit’, says senior Tory MP
The BBC should hire a political editor who is “pro-Brexit” to replace Laura Kuenssberg if she leaves her role, a senior Conservative MP has said.
So Westminster Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee is now pushing the BBC to introduce deliberate bias in their reports to support the political/ideological views of the Committee!
What would the letters B,B,C, then stand for? "Boris's Bull**** Corporation"?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What next for Laura Kuenssberg - one of the most vilified women on TV

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/polit ... -women-tv/

The spin doctors have much to answer for.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 1:31pm What next for Laura Kuenssberg - one of the most vilified women on TV

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/polit ... -women-tv/

The spin doctors have much to answer for.
Talk I've heard is she is wanting (or being asked to) go to the R4 Today program - not I post I'd consider her well suited to.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Speaker:

“I have made clear repeatedly, and as recently as last Thursday, that ministers must make important announcements first to this chamber. Despite those very clear comments it’s evident that the government Treasury briefed journalists on the content of the forthcoming budget over the weekend, including on NHS funding.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... et-details

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 4:45pm The Speaker:

“I have made clear repeatedly, and as recently as last Thursday, that ministers must make important announcements first to this chamber. Despite those very clear comments it’s evident that the government Treasury briefed journalists on the content of the forthcoming budget over the weekend, including on NHS funding.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... et-details

Jonathan
Should we be surprised?
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems that Mr Speaker is concerned about the rights of the HoC. Perhaps the most notorious (?) case was Hugh Dalton's resignation as Chancellor when he let slip comments to a reporter just before entering the chamber. There's been a steady growth of spin by politicians of every stripe for years and the importance of the HoC is long-gone.

Rishi Sunak is a former merchant banker and every word he lets slip may be more significant than those of his predecessors in terms of the effects on money markets.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here's his latest lunatic gaff,to a group of children!:- https://youtu.be/8L8t2i4C33U
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 6:42pm Here's his latest lunatic gaff,to a group of children!:- https://youtu.be/8L8t2i4C33U
On this evening's news he was in some Downing Street thing with a group of kids (maybe the same one?) and he said about no new coal (e.g. Cumbria), though Downing St were apparently quick to say how he didn't mean it. The Greg Hands (Minister for Energy, Clean Growth & Climate Change) went on to say how the Cumbria coal mine is an exception and it's "only a small one anyway".

They really just don't understand.

Ian