Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:31am
thirdcrank wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:22am I'm no fan of Boris Johnson but I find the explanation here entirely credible. AIUI, in layman's terms, the online county court application system is designed for simplicity and so is streamlined. This is largely to avoid a claimant having to elicit a response from an unresponsive defendant, but it can mean that if the defendant is a large commercial organisation, then the relevant bit may simply be unaware since the correspondence will go to what's been specified by the claimant. The setting aside procedure is intended to cover just such circumstances.

Now, Boris Johnson isn't a large commercial organisation, but I can see that he won't be there every morning with the paperknife (real or virtual) opening all the correspondence.
Surely, amongst his staff, there is somebody not only with paperknife skills but also competent to sort the correspondence and pass it on to the relevant person. I would hope the P.M.'s office could make up for his own disorganisation.
Exactly. If he's ignoring post from the courts over legal proceedings, what other post is he not having checked? Calls to appear before inquiries? results from the paternity tests?, etc. It becomes an "excuse" for not doing anything. When I took somebody to County Court they (the defendant) were playing games pretending letters never arrived and my solicitor reassured me that the courts are well aware of the silly games people play in the hope it will just disappear (which it never does).

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Quite apart from the current controversy over Johnson and why he doesn’t pay for his own holidays, despite earning millions in recent years, surely no politician should take any gifts from anyone.

It seems that they in effect receive bribes but as long as they call them gifts and put them in a register it is OK. Civil servants, whose pay they claim to follow, cannot receive gifts. Pay them more and then make them pay their way. Called levelling up.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'earning' millions? :wink:

I have noticed that people called Boris seem to be the sort of energetic active successful people we might (or might not) need

Boris Yelzin, he liked a drink and dancing about
Boris Becker, he earned so much money, got into a bit of trouble
Now Boris Palmer, a green politician in Germany, is sailing a bit far to the right, embarrassing his political chums

Could Nomen be Omen?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a thread about driving licences and personal identification over here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=145873

It illustrates beautifully how the Government's proposals could lead to voter suppression.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 16 May 2021, 9:52am Quite apart from the current controversy over Johnson and why he doesn’t pay for his own holidays, despite earning millions in recent years, surely no politician should take any gifts from anyone.

It seems that they in effect receive bribes but as long as they call them gifts and put them in a register it is OK. Civil servants, whose pay they claim to follow, cannot receive gifts. Pay them more and then make them pay their way. Called levelling up.
Do you remember 'The Scampi Run' !

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:16am
Oldjohnw wrote: 16 May 2021, 9:52am Quite apart from the current controversy over Johnson and why he doesn’t pay for his own holidays, despite earning millions in recent years, surely no politician should take any gifts from anyone.

Do you remember 'The Scampi Run' !

Al
Can’t say I do. Remind me, Al.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Not Johnson - but I was not going to start a new thread and to me it highlights how exempt from regulations the current incumbents feel, how their leader will do nothing to their ignoring the rules
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-udny-lister-loan-b1848847.html wrote:Boris Johnson’s former aide has apologised for approving a £187m government-backed loan to a property developer while he was still on the payroll of the company.
It has emerged that Tory peer Eddie Lister backed a loan for building giant Delancey when he was chair of the Homes England agency – while also working as a paid strategic adviser to the developer.
Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

New NAO report:

"Initial learning from the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic"
https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... ndemic.pdf

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's the Panel's comments, not the family's.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

“There are no national security issues involved. There are national embarrassment issues.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ver-report

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cummings now trailing before the big day:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -uk-policy

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I doubt Boris will have his popularity shaken no matter what Cummings comes up with.
Cummings is extremely unpopular so anything he says about Boris will be put down to sour grapes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

And another royal wedding coming up next July.

Will we get a bank holiday? A commemorative 50p coin? A new aircraft carrier appropriately named? A shiny new Great British Railways train?

Do we know which donor is paying for it?
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

All this talk of weddings and intrigue.
I saw these press snippets and thought them worthy of comment.

Ms Patel says the BBC's reputation is highly damaged by the Diana interview.
By this single interview out of so much other stuff, hmmm.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57217853

Yet this self same woman attended Rupert Murdoch's wedding.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ilys-agony

Now which papers of Murdoch's were illegally intercepting text messages about the self same people?

This is hypocrisy with a sinister purpose. IMV.

(and it's not as if the Royals are altogether whiter than white either)