Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 8:34am With Boris's denials and lies time and again is it any wonder the EU doesn't trust him to stick by any deal.
Getting rid of this man and his government may offer the best chance of rescuing something from leaving the EU.
The deep seated fear of Labour being in power is huge a hurdle to get over and my fear is we'll stick with the same bunch of clowns.
Meanwhile some are getting amazingly rich while the rest are slowly going backwards.
And those are the ones who'll pour money into the Tory coffers come the next GE campaign,democracy is bought and sold on the open market,until that's stopped we're sunk as a nation.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:50am Boris should go now and take his festering old brain with him -- I don't think he could remember whether there was an Xmas party or not last year so it's immaterial. Boris is an embarrassment to this country.
He's a symptom(the logical conclusion if you wil) in a long line of symptoms,not the cause.
One hopes this is the wake up call the country needs,but I doubt it.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

This report IMHO sums up the current UK government's attitude to just about everything:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59572746
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

No 10 again highlights Johnson's stupidity:
[url]https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/dec/08/covid-coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson-christmas-party-uk-politics-live[/url] @13:47 wrote:No 10 signals inquiry into Downing Street partying will not cover leaving do at which PM reportedly gave speech

The Downing Street Christmas party inquiry will only investigate the event on 18 December, the prime minister’s spokesman has indicated.
So whatever the delayed findings for the 18 Dec, in refusing to investigate other parties it allows his opposition to keep the story going as one "leaving do" was attended by Johnson himself.

Had Johnson has enough brain to think for a moment, including all parties and get-togethers would have closed off the story whilst inquiries are made. But now he's gust given his opponents the gift that keeps on giving (probably because he attended the other one which puts him right in the middle of it all).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

slowster wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 11:39pmIt will be interesting who the Government puts up to defend it in media interviews over the coming days, and more especially which senior ministers are conspicuous by their absence.
Yes.

Reminds me of the the days of Kremlinology.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Has Boris Johnson an alibi in the sense of being physically elsewhere when the party was in progress? I'm not suggesting that this would exonerate him for poor leadership but if he has, it would still leave him able to try to blame others for betraying his trust. If he hasn't, it's always possible more may emerge about what happened ... er .... behind closed doors.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 2:27pm Has Boris Johnson an alibi in the sense of being physically elsewhere when the party was in progress? I'm not suggesting that this would exonerate him for poor leadership but if he has, it would still leave him able to try to blame others for betraying his trust. If he hasn't, it's always possible more may emerge about what happened ... er .... behind closed doors.
Except it's now emerged that there was another gathering 27 November (again, breaking lockdown rules) where Johnson gave a speech (so must have been at that one) - except inquiry excludes that gathering.
[url]https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/dec/08/covid-coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson-christmas-party-uk-politics-live[/url] @13:47 wrote:That means a leaving do in Downing Street on 27 November, at which the PM reportedly gave a speech and which also appears to have been in breach of lockdown rules, will not be investigated. And there won’t be an inquiry into claims that there was another party on 13 November.
Ian
slowster

Post by slowster »

Psamathe wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 2:00pm No 10 again highlights Johnson's stupidity:
[url]https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/dec/08/covid-coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson-christmas-party-uk-politics-live[/url] @13:47 wrote:No 10 signals inquiry into Downing Street partying will not cover leaving do at which PM reportedly gave speech

The Downing Street Christmas party inquiry will only investigate the event on 18 December, the prime minister’s spokesman has indicated.
So whatever the delayed findings for the 18 Dec, in refusing to investigate other parties it allows his opposition to keep the story going as one "leaving do" was attended by Johnson himself.

Had Johnson has enough brain to think for a moment, including all parties and get-togethers would have closed off the story whilst inquiries are made. But now he's gust given his opponents the gift that keeps on giving (probably because he attended the other one which puts him right in the middle of it all).
I've seen comments that the other party (or one of the other parties) was held in Johnson's flat (on 13/11/20?). If that is true and confirmed, Johnson would be finished. That might explain why he denied the party on 18/12: he is protecting those who organised and attended it, because he similarly needs them not to rat on him.

The Cabinet Secretary has now been tasked with investigating the party on 18/12, but No. 10 is refusing to state whether the Cabinet Secretary himself attended the party. I doubt anyone will receive more than a slap on the wrist for that party (and they will probably be told that they will be 'looked after' in return for 'taking one for the team').

Reportedly the motivation to protect Owen Paterson was the same. Johnson is facing the prospect of investigation(s) by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner, and tried to use Owen Paterson's case to undermine and remove the Commissioner and change the procedures for investigating MPs before his own case comes up.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see Allegra Stratton has fallen on whatever these people fall on, and Huw Edwards is presenting the BBC News outside in his overcoat.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 6:04pm I see Allegra Stratton has fallen on whatever these people fall on, and Huw Edwards is presenting the BBC News outside in his overcoat.
Life's a bugga.......
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 6:20pm
thirdcrank wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 6:04pm I see Allegra Stratton has fallen on whatever these people fall on, and Huw Edwards is presenting the BBC News outside in his overcoat.
Life's a bugga.......
Having seen her resignation crocodile tears spring to mind. It's time for a change of leadership.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

He's had it now -- the wife says enough's enough he has to go -- so that's it for Boris I'd say. The wife's never wrong. Uncanny but true.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 6:56pm
Life's a bugga.......
Having seen her resignation crocodile tears spring to mind. It's time for a change of leadership.
She was pushed.
I just wish someone would push this bunch of public schoolboys and girls off a cliff!
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:28pm
rjb wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 6:56pm

Life's a bugga.......
She was pushed.
I just wish someone would push this bunch of public schoolboys and girls off a cliff!
And within a few days she'll quietly be getting a new highly lucrative job in some Conservative Think-Tank.

(Or maybe I'm a cynic but who isn't after the Westminster farce of the last few weeks/months)

Ian