Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 5:34pm Or rather it will be by the end of the year. Cummings says he will be gone by then.
Boris Johnson, with or without his brains is still there, with no sign of an imminent coup. Cummings is long-gone and making waves of self-justification. Boris Johnson does not seem to lack cunning.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

“Comrades!" he cried. 'You do not imagine, I hope, that we pings are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

simonineaston wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:18am ...and now they've changed their mind. The worst of all possible worlds. Now they look as if they don't care about the regs., and that they're inconsistant, and that the original excuse for not following the reg.s, all of a sudden, somehow doesn't count... Cummings' characterisation of that shopping trolley crashing from one side of the aisle to the other doesn't seem so far off.
He's isolated from his brain.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:18am ...and now they've changed their mind. The worst of all possible worlds. Now they look as if they don't care about the regs., and that they're inconsistant, and that the original excuse for not following the reg.s, all of a sudden, somehow doesn't count... Cummings' characterisation of that shopping trolley crashing from one side of the aisle to the other doesn't seem so far off.
For me the incident is yet another very obvious demonstration of the "poor judgement" at the top of our Government. And if they are making such poor decisions on this they are undoubtedly making poor decisions in other areas (e.g. trade deals, planning policy changes, NHS restructure mid-pandemic, NI trade treaties, etc.).

Still, apparently the incident did create an (unverified) record - fastest U-turn by Johnson so far.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Still, apparently the incident did create an (unverified) record - fastest U-turn by Johnson so far.
:lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Laughable.
The whole government and cabinet .......... the lot of them.

I'm not saying that Labour and that lot would be any better, but TBH, the complete Parliament needs a bomb under them.
Guy Fawkes etc had it right.

I detested the woman and her politics, but Thatcher would have sorted all this out.
The shambles we have in power - and the opposition - are a complete waste of rations.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:09pm Laughable.
The whole government and cabinet .......... the lot of them.
I'm not saying that Labour and that lot would be any better, but TBH, the complete Parliament needs a bomb under them.
Guy Fawkes etc had it right.
I detested the woman and her politics, but Thatcher would have sorted all this out.
The shambles we have in power - and the opposition - are a complete waste of rations.
*My bold and underlined*
That's the problem MickF there seems to be little in the way of opposition :oops: Starmer and Co just seem to be there to make the numbers up.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have a dream...we all have a button, if more than 50% press it simultaneously the whole lot goes up!

Pathetic :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:09pm I detested the woman and her politics, but Thatcher would have sorted all this out.
Rock and a hard place really Mick, ditch the buffoon and bring back the neoliberal megalomaniac?

Saw Mrs T (and many other current politicians) in a very different light after reading Ece Temelkuran's book "How to lose a country - The seven steps from democracy to dictatorship" Interesting reading.

She quotes Madeleine Albright who says "fascism takes hold by pushing away empathy" and expounds further by saying:

"How much antipathy is normal and acceptable in a neoliberal system where the winner takes all and feels no shame for the unjust distribution of pretty much everything, justice included. Who is it that can draw the red line between the normal antipathy required to get by in these times and the excessive antipathy that turns a human into a fascist"

Scary thoughts :(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:09pmI detested the woman and her politics, but Thatcher would have sorted all this out.
As it happens Thatcher was faced with the major public health problem of a new disease that was caused by a virus. And we know in some detail how she behaved.

This was HIV/AIDS in 1986. At that point the most important measure was telling people how the virus was transmitted and what they could do to reduce risk.

Thatcher repeatedly used her position to obstruct that happening. That included opposing the use of leaflets and advertisements in newspapers, and at one point asking if they were lawful under the Obscene Publications Act or acceptable to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Fortunately Fowler and Whitelaw and others managed to make sure that her attempts were unsuccessful, but it involved some clever footwork in committees.

If Thatcher had been successful there would have been many unnecessary deaths and much avoidable suffering.

And she didn't mention AIDS in her autobiography.

Jonathan

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ai ... -campaign/
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... about-aids
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/02/08/m ... wler-nhst/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55973726
https://www.nhst.org.uk/lord-fowler-nhs ... s-release/
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see Cummings is having another go at Johnson.

Covid: Boris Johnson resisted autumn lockdown as only over-80s dying - Dominic Cummings https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57854811

The trouble is, which liar is telling lies? Did Cummings ever get back to the Select Committee with his evidence?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"We’ve filed the first ever lawsuit challenging ‘government by WhatsApp’! The Citizens, with Foxglove’s support, are suing the government to stop ministers making major decisions over apps like WhatsApp and Signal, where messages can be set to disappear."

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stop- ... -messages/

Please consider donating.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 1:43pm Higher taxation would make it easier, but the Dilnot proposals are surprisingly inexpensive:

Analysis from the King's Fund:
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/defa ... -jul11.pdf
includes:
"If the Commission’s recommendations are implemented in full, it forecasts that no-one would have to spend more than 30 per cent of their assets to fund their care. It estimates that its recommended changes to the funding system would require £1.7 billion in additional public expenditure (0.14 per cent of GDP) if the cap on individual contributions is set at £35,000, rising to £3.6 billion (0.22 per cent of GDP) by 2025/6."

And the IfS in 2017, that's after Dilnot and after the Conservative proposals:
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/9243
includes:
"A life-time cap on care costs, as proposed by the Dilnot Commission, is a solution to the insurance problem. It is effectively a form of social insurance, funded from general taxation. It may also make it easier for a private market to emerge that would offer insurance against care costs up to the cap.
"By contrast, the Conservative plan makes no attempt to deal with the fundamental challenge of social care funding. That is the big problem – not how many people might win or lose."
"Why raising national insurance is not the way to tackle Britain’s social care crisis"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... isis-taxes

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Well it was either Carrie or Dom I guess it was Carrie. She's the boss now.
I am here. Where are you?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:31am
pete75 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 5:34pm Or rather it will be by the end of the year. Cummings says he will be gone by then.
Boris Johnson, with or without his brains is still there, with no sign of an imminent coup. Cummings is long-gone and making waves of self-justification. Boris Johnson does not seem to lack cunning.
My point is Cummings was Boris's brain. You may well admire Johnson for his somewhat low cunning. I don't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker