Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Mike Sales »

The excellent Nick Cohen's article in todays Observer is on corruption in Britain.

I would like to quote it in full, but here is a taster.
Last week, a handful of MPs asked why the Conservatives were so peculiarly soft on this particular crime. In 2017, they promised a law that would compel the foreign owners of UK property to reveal their identities. (The willingness to allow private and state criminals to launder their wealth anonymously through the prime London property market was Radda’s main charge against Boris Johnson.) Nothing has been heard of this bold “anti-corruption strategy” since.

Likewise, the government has said it wants to stop Companies House being a crime scene where anyone can set up a firm without proof of identity or the most cursory checks. Even the Conservative party appeared to agree that it should not be harder to apply for a passport than to set up a shell company. But once again nothing happened.As for the recommendations in the Russia report on money laundering, they vanished as soon as they were made.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ly-british
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales
I've stated on the forum a number of times that the Tory Party is evil,others have denied it but I stand by that comment because it's true.
It's true because the Tory Party at whatever level are either the driving force behind that evil or are complicit in it and allow it to continue by financing that evil through their membership or donations.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 1:02pm Mike Sales
I've stated on the forum a number of times that the Tory Party is evil,others have denied it but I stand by that comment because it's true.
It's true because the Tory Party at whatever level are either the driving force behind that evil or are complicit in it and allow it to continue by financing that evil through their membership or donations.
You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I'd go with incompetency, which can look like evil. Evil suggests that there's some sort of game plan in mind, which requires organisation, control, and actual determination for to reach a goal which may involve self-denial or self discipline and at least has an air of dignity about it.. Looking at the behaviour of present cabinet I'm not seeing much evidence of the last three.
Around here the majority of people vote blue. Heck you could even have Beelezbub Arch Duke of whatever run as a blue MP with the promise that if elected he'd visit your home and befoul your dishwasher and washing machine* on a daily basis, and folks around here would still say, oh - I bet he's tough on crime, and immigration and it looks like he know how to get things done.
(* i'd like to apologise to the moderators in an advance for any complaints about that sentence. It's bad, but it could have been so much worse)
Last edited by cycle tramp on 5 Dec 2021, 2:14pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's time to go :-)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Around here it, Ia've always voted for blue, because mah daddy did, and his daddy before him an' his daddy before him and so did his daddy....
Heck, it don't seem right even considerin' to fink about votin' or why I'm votin' or even what I'm votin' for .. that's like breaking a tradition or sumfink... and its gonna break inta mah drinkin' time.....gimmee another beer
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Whilst we're taking about evil and judgement and stuff.... anyone else consider Tony Blair as a war criminal and should face prosecution?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I'm not sure they are evil as such.They just do what is ingrained in them to do.They are the party of deceit,corruption and elitism,always have been and always will be.They don't know any other way and this is part of their DNA.
The trouble is not the party but those gullible enough to be taken in by them and to defend them whatever they do.Sadly this Country seems to embrace them.Even now with the undeniable ****-storm of B***** and sleaze their voters defend them.Some even state they are doing a good job :shock:
Stupid is as stupid does.
cycle tramp wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 2:22pm Whilst we're taking about evil and judgement and stuff.... anyone else consider Tony Blair as a war criminal and should face prosecution?
Possibly...but even he is a saint when compared to Johnson
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 2:26pm They just do what is ingrained in them to do.They are the party of deceit,corruption and elitism,always have been and always will be.They don't know any other way and this is part of their DNA.

William Hazlitt the essayist, spotted this in the 19th Century.
(A Tory) cries long life to the conqueror, and is ever strong upon the stronger side - the side of corruption and privilege.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

cycle tramp wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 2:22pm Whilst we're taking about evil and judgement and stuff.... anyone else consider Tony Blair as a war criminal and should face prosecution?
The general rule is that only the losers commit war crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhabinod_Pal
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 2:26pm
Possibly...but even he is a saint when compared to Johnson
I've missed the news this week, so there is a chance that Boris Johnson has misled parliament into an illegal war, using information which turned out to be false, which resulted in the deaths of an unknown amount of civilians as well as looses to our own armed services and that of American armed services, including at least one friendly fire attack...

And this stage all that depleted uranium in the atmosphere, er... that was us. .during that war. Don't forget to breath deeply...

..oh man I can feel that depleted uranium doing me the world of good....

I
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 2:26pm
I'm not sure they are evil as such.They just do what is ingrained in them to do.They are the party of deceit,corruption and elitism,always have been and always will be.They don't know any other way and this is part of their DNA.
I'd actually agree that this is true of a percentage of mps regardless of whatever party they stand for. The way that MPs rise to power and the manner and mechanisms by how they achieve it, means that those MPs which display the most psychopathic tendencies are rewarded. Those MPs of any colour which show moral values, who will not sacrifice their principles and show compassion tend to be left to rot on the benches.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

cycle tramp.

As you thought, your last post has been moved out of the way and it was done by me.
Personally, I really didn't know what to do, so moved it for consideration by the moderators.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Quite rightly my last post was removed, it contained a direct link to a video clip 'from the thick of it' which probably portrayed British Poltics in its reality. If you've seen the segments known as the argument (which contains strong language and adult themes from the start), then you'll know what I'm on about'. If you've never seen it, and you're over 18 then it's worth watching the series, if you can stand the language. I think it's showing on Britbox.

Probably the final quote on this one comes from a comic book villain known as the Joker;
'These people.... . they're only as good as the world allows them to be. You wait, when the chips are down, they'll eat each other........ I'm not mad, I'm just ahead of the curve.'
Last edited by cycle tramp on 5 Dec 2021, 6:20pm, edited 5 times in total.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Mick F wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 6:08pm cycle tramp.

As you thought, your last post has been moved out of the way and it was done by me.
Personally, I really didn't know what to do, so moved it for consideration by the moderators.
And quite right too!
Thanks, it's appreciated- I sent a PM to the moderator to let them know what I had posted, but I think a direct link was an error of judgement on my part.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yes me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden