Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by mjr »

Doctors call Boris's surrender plan irresponsible https://www.thejournal.ie/doctors-criti ... 4-Jul2021/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 4:34pm One of the problems I felt with the CF bulbs was disposal/recycling: did most users have any idea what to do when they stopped working? or did they all just end-up broken in landfill bin?
It's really complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_f ... tal_impact
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Ele ... _Directive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Ele ... ementation

I'm pretty familiar with official statistics but discovering what actually happens to waste from any area usually defeats me. I suspect that most of the mercury from CFLs in the UK is not recovered.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:04am Doctors call Boris's surrender plan irresponsible https://www.thejournal.ie/doctors-criti ... 4-Jul2021/
With projected hospital admissions under some (likely scenarios) getting really high, what is going to happen to the already record non-Covid treatment backlogs - something Javid claims is his priority.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jul/13/uk-covid-live-news-sage-cases-nhs-coronavirus-aid-debate wrote:However, should pre-pandemic behaviour bounce back rapidly over a month, models from researchers at the University of Warwick suggest there could be 1,300 to 4,800 hospitalisations a day.
And how much more "freedom" will we have after the 19 July than now. Are the few remaining restrictions really such a big deal that we have to risk going back to a swamped NHS, potentially "hundreds of thousands with long Covid" and risking creating another UK variant from the 100,000 new cases per day expected.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/13/delta-surge-could-leave-hundreds-of-thousands-with-long-covid wrote:Delta surge ‘could leave hundreds of thousands with long Covid’
Given that the health secretary, Sajid Javid, has warned that Covid infections may soon reach 100,000 per day, Altmann says it is reasonable to expect 10,000 or 20,000 of those daily cases to go on to develop long Covid.
I don't see any requirement for more waves - Covid waves seem to be human created phenomena, caused by lack of adequate response to infection prevention. A year ago we had limited knowledge of Covid and in the UK chose to ignore those countries who did have relevant experience. Now in the UK a lot more learnt from one of the worst fatality rates in the world yet our response seems to aim to create more public health crises.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

We read of the repeated warnings from those with access to real data and knowledge, raised with the PM, outlining major concerns with respect to this most recent wave of C19, with case numbers accelerating daily. He simply doesn't appear to give a hoot about the consequences. There appear to be very real risks, to do with numbers of UK citizens suffering from the awful "long Covid" symptoms, of the effects of local hotspot outbreaks on low-paid workers who are reluctant to isolate, on the already very hard-pressed NHS & staff (who saved his life...) and on the inevitable numbers of folk who catch it and succumb...
Last edited by simonineaston on 13 Jul 2021, 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:12pmHe simply doesn't appear to give a hoot about the consequences.
I suggest some triangulation... to whom does it appeal?

And then check the distribution of public opinion on the subject... I was quite surprised.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

From what I heard from the 'experts' at Boris's side it doesnt matter when things are relaxed the results as far as infections, hospitalisation and deaths are concerned the results will be much the same.

What the hell do you do, leave things until cold weather arrives and risk greater numbers?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 11:00am A year ago we had limited knowledge of Covid and in the UK chose to ignore those countries who did have relevant experience. Now in the UK a lot more learnt from one of the worst fatality rates in the world yet our response seems to aim to create more public health crises.
Few countries outside of East Asia & Australasia seem to have any long term plan for this beyond the vaccinations. The UK is certainly one of the worst at dealing with its waves (and consequently amplifying risk of viable new variants, or importing and distributing in the case of the india/delta variant) but many other places are now heading for another wave (particularly once you factor in testing rates).

None have yet shown the willingness to properly restrict border travel to allow suppression to the level of actually keeping a lid on it.
Jdsk wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:30pm And then check the distribution of public opinion on the subject... I was quite surprised.

Jonathan
Sometimes worth taking people's professed opinions with a pinch of salt. 26% of people wanted nightclubs closed forever, 19% wanted a 10pm curfew forever. I find that rather troubling if I'm honest. People are also hypocritical with covid restrictions, polls consistently showed people thought a majority were breaking restrictions but only a minority admitted to doing so. I suspect there's a boatload of nimbyism and the worst of curtain twitching going on here, people justify their own minor infringements but are all too quick to judge others' apparent infringements.

That all taken into account, I've little doubt that most were perfectly fine with face coverings on PT/in shops, they seemed to have turned into a highly political issue for some self professed libertarians (who are meanwhile absolutely fine with the policing bill)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:15pm From what I heard from the 'experts' at Boris's side it doesnt matter when things are relaxed the results as far as infections, hospitalisation and deaths are concerned the results will be much the same.

What the hell do you do, leave things until cold weather arrives and risk greater numbers?

Al
Further waves are not inevitable. Avoiding a wave now does not mean we have to have a wave later in the year. They can be avoided through reducing infection using things like mask wearing, social distancing, indoor ventilation, etc.. Later in the year a higher number of people will have had both vaccinations and beyond that likely booster vaccinations.

So delaying for a bit will mean more people have immunity (through vaccination) so lower levels of infection, lower spreading and less load of NHS from Covid (so NHS can start to deal with its record backlogs).

And allowing very high levels of infection also increases the risk of creating new variants, particularly with an only partially vaccinated population.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What the hell do you do...
I don't know - ask all the folk who are poorly paid with highly flexible contracts, who can't afford to stop working, ask the folk who depend on high levels of reliable mask use by all they interect with, for their protection, like taxi & bus drivers and shop workers, ask the underfunded and understaffed NHS service staff - ask them if they'd prefer for things to get back to normal as soon as poss. (I bet they'd mostly say yes...) and then ask them if they'd prefer, in the meantime, that guidance on mask use and distancing rules was crystal clear and erred on the side of caution and I bet they'd like that too...
Let's face it, we're stuck with this disease for the foreseeeable and it follows that we need to do our best to help prevent it spreading at least until good quality data comes on stream regarding the disease as endemic and how we best interact with it. It's simply not good enough to say Hey Ho - let's just 'go back to normal' and see how we get on - let's in effect just toss a coin and see how many folk get it & what happens to them. That, in a nutshell, appears to be our man Johnson's idea...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I dont believe it is Boris's idea and I would prefer the Chief Medical Officers advice to legions of ameteur armchair experts.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 3:37pm I dont believe it is Boris's idea and I would prefer the Chief Medical Officers advice to legions of ameteur armchair experts.

Al
You mean e.g. last Sept when they were all saying lockdown but Johnson ignored them all instead dithering for weeks allowing the exponential spread until we needed a far far stricter, longer lockdown than the proposed "circuit breaker".

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 3:37pm I dont believe it is Boris's idea and I would prefer the Chief Medical Officers advice to legions of ameteur armchair experts.
Do you have a source for that advice from the CMO, please? Then we could all have a look.

Thanks

Jonathan
slowster

Post by slowster »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57751056

As the article above explains, the goal of Chris Whitty and his colleagues is represented by the right hand chart below. To achieve that they need England to tread a fairly finely balanced path: opening up restrictions and precautions that are extremely intrusive, economically costly and a major imposition, but as far as possible retaining for at least some months those measures which provide a significant benefit in reducing transmission for minimal effort/imposition, e.g. wearing a mask in shops and on public transport.

Becaused it is a finely balanced path, it requires careful, clear, consistent and unambiguous messaging from everyone involved. The announcements from Boris Johnson and the rest of the Government have potentially already sabotaged the strategy (Freedom Day, masks no longer legally required etc.), and consequently we are in great danger of getting the left hand chart instead.

al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 3:47pm
Do you have a source for that advice from the CMO, please? Then we could all have a look.

Thanks

Jonathan
Be my guest... :wink: As a top academic armchair expert I am sure you know where to Google.

Al
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Boris Johnson is getting divorced again. Who needs evidence when you can just attribute something which supports your POV?
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Jul 2021, 4:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
John