Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Oldjohnw »

I know two of the old/new cabinet people. I know a little Buckland through work I do and respect him. I believe he stayed hoping he could retain some decency and fairness in the justice system and retain the independence of the judiciary.

I have known Anne-Marie Trevelyan, former (and last) S of S for International Development for many years. We were on a prison charity board and she also became my MP. Following the end of the DFID she became responsible for travelling around the world on green issues. As someone who didn’t really believe in climate change and who had voted against every single climate/green policy, and who considers driven grouse shooting as the pinnacle of conservation, she was an interesting choice.

I actually like her but have zero respect for her policies.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I mentioned earlier that Anne-Marie Trevelyan had pretty well zero credibility in the climate issues she led on. The evidence resurfaces:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... SApp_Other
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"New housing secretary Michael Gove is facing calls to return £100,000 in donations he received last month from a property developer, with political opponents warning of a potential conflict of interest."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -developer

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It really is quite amazing that ministers are able to take any money from business at all.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 6:49am It really is quite amazing that ministers are able to take any money from business at all.
Nothing,and I mean absolutely no thing would surprise me where some politrickians are concerned,moreso Tory politickians!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Boris Johnson and at least three of his Ministers, Matt Hancock, Lord Bethell and Greg Hands, have repeatedly breached their own national security guidance by using private emails and phones for Government business."
https://goodlawproject.org/update/boris ... y-guidance

Please consider donating.

Thanks

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 8:37am "Boris Johnson and at least three of his Ministers, Matt Hancock, Lord Bethell and Greg Hands, have repeatedly breached their own national security guidance by using private emails and phones for Government business."
https://goodlawproject.org/update/boris ... y-guidance

Please consider donating.

Thanks

Jonathan
As I posted elsewhere NO thing would surpise me of these moronic inept pocket fillers we now have as an excuse for government.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We didn’t want an EU army but it’s looking like we are on the way to being part of the US army.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 5:00pm We didn’t want an EU army but it’s looking like we are on the way to being part of the US army.
Next step is to rename us as Airstrip One! :twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Worth supporting.

Good Law Project

Dear John,

Last weekend, the then Secretary of State, Oliver Dowden, announced his intention to muzzle the third sector. In his blog about the process for appointing a new Chair of the Charity Commission - the Government’s regulator of charities - he complained about “a worrying trend in some charities that appear to have been hijacked by a vocal minority seeking to burnish their woke credentials”. He said the Chair will be selected based on how they “rebalance” charities away from that agenda using the Charity Commission’s powers. And that Ministers will only appoint someone who does this.

It’s a chilling thought. What would a politically motivated regulator mean for food banks who push back against policies that mean people don’t have enough to eat? What would it mean for a housing charity which challenges legislation that leaves people without a roof over their head? What about charities that campaign against Government policies that could do untold damage by baking in racial injustice or poverty? Will these fit with the Government's views?

Good Law Project is well aware from actual cases that these are not idle speculations. For that reason, we have written to Oliver Dowden’s successor, Nadine Dorries, firing the starting gun on the judicial review process. The legal challenge will be crowdfunded. If you are in a position to support us, you can do so here:

Donate
Together, through our taxes, we subsidise the activities of charities to the tune of £2bn a year. We give them this relief because they exist for “public benefit” - various types of do-gooding which Parliament wants to encourage.

These things are not the same as pushing the political agenda of the Government of the day. You don’t get charitable tax relief if your activities are “political” - a term which the Charity Commission defines as including “furthering the interests of a particular political party.” This need for charities to stand outside party politics is also embedded in legislation made by Parliament: for example, the Charity Commission should not be subject to direction by the Secretary of State.

We don’t think it’s the Charity Commission’s job to muzzle or ‘cancel’ charities. But Ministers want to turn Charity law on its head. Charities that help their political agenda will be left alone and charities that resist it will be punished.

Our public institutions exist to serve the public good - not the political whims of passing Governments. Anyone accepting an appointment following this flawed process should be very clear - we believe it is unlawful and will ask for it to be quashed.

Thank you,

Jo Maugham - Good Law Project

Good Law Project
3 East Point High St Sevenoaks Kent TN15 0EG

John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oh! The irony!

From The Sun of 2016.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1218703/b ... ck-brexit/
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

And yet more irony, as the truly Orwellian Ministry of Levelling Up is invented:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mich ... 56092.html

You have to wonder if it is a spoof.

Edited: but it’s not a spoof.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ambi ... -up-agenda
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 20 Sep 2021, 8:44am, edited 2 times in total.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

And Boris Johnson flies to New York to lecture the rest of the world on climate change.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 8:07am And Boris Johnson flies to New York to lecture the rest of the world on climate change.
I feel he is a significant hindrance to the world taking action. His failure to e.g. stop a new coal mine, kick new oil a few months past COP, that he is more interested in himself (and the status he'll gain from agreement), that he is a compulsive liar, tc. - all stuff all the other world leaders are well aware of. Same words from somebody else might have more impact but out of Johnson's mouth and too many other considerations.

Ian