Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Oldjohnw »

It’s quite a dilemma: whose lies do we believe? Cummings’s or Hancock’s?
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Meanwhile, on the day after an official appointed by and responsible to Johnson clears him of wrongdoing, he hosts another of his fascist friends.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 27 May 2021, 11:58am Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 11.57.49.png
https://mobile.twitter.com/BenKentish/s ... 9029774336

Jonathan
Like so many of our "leaders", never let the truth get in the way of spinning their own glory
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/matt-hancock-coronavirus-vaccine-bolton-b1855191.html wrote:The health secretary told MPs that jabs were going into arms in the northwest town at a rate of “tens of thousands every single day”.

But official government statistics show that daily inoculations have never topped 5,500 in Bolton, and have hovered around the 2,000 mark in recent days.
How can Parliament govern and scrutinise when they are continually fed lies from Cabinet Ministers?

In theory Hancock should not return to Parliament and correct his error (just like Johnson never does with his own continual stream of lies).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Good summing-up of the way Johnson is handling the current relaxations from Prof Stephen Reicher (psychologist on the UK’s Sage sub-committee advising the government on behavioural science)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/may/29/coronavirus-news-expert-warns-against-lifting-england-restrictions-too-soon-vietnam-detects-hybrid-of-uk-and-india-variants wrote:....But the problem for the government is: on the one hand it can’t delay what it has been promising for so long, but on the other hand it is aware of the dangers of so doing.

And so you see that in the fact that they are beginning to act in a rather contradictory way.

They’re saying to us, for instance on travel: ‘you can travel internationally but please don’t’.

They say of social contact ‘you can hug, but please don’t hug’. They say of restrictions, ‘no restrictions but please don’t go in and out of the hotspots’.

That contradiction, that sense of confusion, I think is undermining the response
Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Psamathe wrote: 29 May 2021, 12:18pm Good summing-up of the way Johnson is handling the current relaxations from Prof Stephen Reicher (psychologist on the UK’s Sage sub-committee advising the government on behavioural science)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/may/29/coronavirus-news-expert-warns-against-lifting-england-restrictions-too-soon-vietnam-detects-hybrid-of-uk-and-india-variants wrote:....But the problem for the government is: on the one hand it can’t delay what it has been promising for so long, but on the other hand it is aware of the dangers of so doing.

And so you see that in the fact that they are beginning to act in a rather contradictory way.

They’re saying to us, for instance on travel: ‘you can travel internationally but please don’t’.

They say of social contact ‘you can hug, but please don’t hug’. They say of restrictions, ‘no restrictions but please don’t go in and out of the hotspots’.

That contradiction, that sense of confusion, I think is undermining the response
Ian
Exactly how they did it way back in March last year: we won't close the pubs but don't go.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fancy this has been posted before, but it makes the point well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrThV6DJu4

That's over a year old now and shows that it wouldn't take a public inquiry to expose Boris Johnson's style.

That's not to say we don't need an inquiry, just that we don't need Torquemada to reveal that Boris Johnson waffles.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

To be fair, I don't think people are calling for a public inquiry to expose Johnson's style: at least not primarily. It is to see what went right and what went wrong with handling the covid pandemic, and what might be done better if and when another such event should arise.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster has written to the Independent Advisor on Ministers' Interests:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AngelaRayner ... 7684706308

Good questions.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 29 May 2021, 3:27pm To be fair, I don't think people are calling for a public inquiry to expose Johnson's style: at least not primarily. It is to see what went right and what went wrong with handling the covid pandemic, and what might be done better if and when another such event should arise.
I would agree. So far vaccines have been moderately effective against variants but it's not unlikely that other variants will appear which are not as vulnerable to current vaccine based immunity and with higher infectivity (which we are already seeing) we could be virtually back close to "Feb 2020" very quickly and then we really would need to know how to avoid past mistakes (and adapting vaccines would take time compared to the spread given increased infectivity and minimal population immunity).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 29 May 2021, 3:53pm The Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster has written to the Independent Advisor on Ministers' Interests:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AngelaRayner ... 7684706308

Good questions.

Jonathan
They are good questions. If somebody else paid, why was no declaration made as per the rules? And as Ms Rayner says, how many people have hundreds of thousands of pounds of renovation without paying and without wondering who has paid and where all that money came from! And we are expected o believe the PM just didn't bothering wondering who to thank? (for £100,000 plus bills paid for him - or is Johnson so used to others paying such amounts for him it no longer registers with him?).

The questions do highlight how the report and finding lack credibility.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

First, it wasn’t a secret wedding. It was a private, unpublicised one. Although given Johnson’s recent recollection issues it might have been a surprise to him.

Second, I guess that now, when they get divorced, she will get half the Tory party donations.

PS I see now it is being described as “secretly planned”.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ah I see. I see also that this wedding was staged in Westminster Cathedral, a Roman Catholic place of worship. But I thought that the RC's had some problem with re-marrying divorcees. Or am I wrong?

Oh well, remember Henry VIII and what he pulled off! Or rather, 'chopped off'.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Such a different world since 'Two Jags Prescott' made headlines!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

661-Pete wrote: 30 May 2021, 9:29am Ah I see. I see also that this wedding was staged in Westminster Cathedral, a Roman Catholic place of worship. But I thought that the RC's had some problem with re-marrying divorcees. Or am I wrong?

Oh well, remember Henry VIII and what he pulled off! Or rather, 'chopped off'.....
Johnson was baptised catholic and married, twice, Anglican churches. These marriages therefore don’t count. It seems that the Catholic Church can be as Machiavellian as Johnson.

His children will be pleased to discover that they are illegitimate.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 30 May 2021, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
John