Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Ben@Forest »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 May 2021, 10:06pm I'm not familiar with the numbers here, but this is in line with many food famines, which have been caused not by failure of the harvest, but by exports from countries because their own people could not afford to compete with the prices being paid by peope in other countries.
According to the Sunday Times last week the upsurge in India has a lot more to do with the hubris of Modi and the BJP than the cost of vaccines.

Modi declared India was winning the war against Covid some months ago; there were relaxed restrictions that led people to mingle, including at huge BJP political rallies and at religious observances, including one where tens of thousands immerse themselves in the Ganges.

India is rich and could have implemented a widespread vaccine programme, that it didn't is not down to others 'stealing' domestically produced vaccines.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I didn't intend to imply "stealing" or plain old stealing.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:32pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:08pmAnd if course he (Bercow) was accused of bullying by Commons colleagues several times between 2018 and 2020.
Were any of those accusations ever substantiated by a committee, or in disciplinary proceedings, or in an inquiry, or in a legal case or anything else?
I tried to find that out before l wrote my post. Any action seems to have dissolved with Bercow's leaving office and no longer being in the HoC. However part of an article from Gaby Hinscliff in the Guardian sums it up well.

The list goes on, although it’s impossible to know the truth of such allegations without a formal inquiry. All we’re left with is an uneasy sense that this isn’t justice, for either side, and there are many unanswered questions about how we got here. Would the Speaker have survived intense public pressure to resign – or at least face formal and specific investigations – after these allegations first surfaced back in 2018, if hopes of stopping Brexit hadn’t rested so heavily on him at the time?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ben@Forest wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:48am
thirdcrank wrote: 2 May 2021, 10:06pm I'm not familiar with the numbers here, but this is in line with many food famines, which have been caused not by failure of the harvest, but by exports from countries because their own people could not afford to compete with the prices being paid by peope in other countries.
According to the Sunday Times last week the upsurge in India has a lot more to do with the hubris of Modi and the BJP than the cost of vaccines.

Modi declared India was winning the war against Covid some months ago; there were relaxed restrictions that led people to mingle, including at huge BJP political rallies and at religious observances, including one where tens of thousands immerse themselves in the Ganges.

India is rich and could have implemented a widespread vaccine programme, that it didn't is not down to others 'stealing' domestically produced vaccines.
Being pedantic: it was millions in the Gangees.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:53am I didn't intend to imply "stealing" or plain old stealing.
So what did you "intend to imply"?

It seems fairly clear to me that you are positing the view that India's dire situation is somehow due to the success of the UK government in procuring vaccines, early and in quantity.

Perhaps, rather than vague attributions of blame, you could come up with some numbers, to put things in perspective. As I did, earlier:
mikeymo wrote: 2 May 2021, 6:11pm
How many doses of Covid vaccine has India exported to the UK?

EDIT:

It looks like 5 million:

https://www.mea.gov.in/vaccine-supply.htm

But please do correct me if my interpretation of that table is wrong, as you appear to have detailed knowledge of this subject.

The UK Government has ordered approximately 400 million doses from various sources, and has so far delivered 50 million doses (1st and 2nd). The 5 million doses received from the SII therefore represent 10% of the doses so far given to people in the UK.

The population of India is 1,366 million. 5 million represents 0.37% of 1,366 million.

The SII is not just a supplier of vaccines to India. It is the world's largest producer of vaccines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serum_Institute_of_India

The UK health services are currently delivering half a million doses (1st and 2nd) of Covid vaccine a day. So without the SII delivery that implies the vaccination would be 10 days behind its current progress.

A further 5 million doses are on order from the SII, though delivery seems to be in dispute.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:55am
Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:32pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:08pmAnd if course he (Bercow) was accused of bullying by Commons colleagues several times between 2018 and 2020.
Were any of those accusations ever substantiated by a committee, or in disciplinary proceedings, or in an inquiry, or in a legal case or anything else?
I tried to find that out before l wrote my post. Any action seems to have dissolved with Bercow's leaving office and no longer being in the HoC. However part of an article from Gaby Hinscliff in the Guardian sums it up well.

The list goes on, although it’s impossible to know the truth of such allegations without a formal inquiry. All we’re left with is an uneasy sense that this isn’t justice, for either side, and there are many unanswered questions about how we got here. Would the Speaker have survived intense public pressure to resign – or at least face formal and specific investigations – after these allegations first surfaced back in 2018, if hopes of stopping Brexit hadn’t rested so heavily on him at the time?
Thanks. I didn't think that there had ever been any substantiation.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Barnier's diary of the negotiations is about to be published:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/grande-illusio ... B092RFK9C4

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... barnier-eu

Jonathan

roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

How *anyone* thinks Johnson has anyone's best interests at heart other than his own will remain forever a mystery to me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 11.29.03.png

"Allegations currently under investigation by the (Parliamentary Standards) Commissioner":
https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and ... missioner/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"My Government will strengthen and renew democracy and the constitution. Legislation will be introduced to ensure the integrity of elections, protect freedom of speech and restore the balance of power between the executive, legislature and the courts."

Here we go.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 1:39pm "My Government will strengthen and renew democracy and the constitution. Legislation will be introduced to ensure the integrity of elections, protect freedom of speech and restore the balance of power between the executive, legislature and the courts."

Here we go.

Jonathan

Which basically means, set the election process so that only tories win, have voter ID (exclude the poor) - a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist, make it impossible for a government’s decisions to be challenged even if blatantly illegal. Freedom of speech is about right wing speakers and some with differing views on sexuality being uninvited.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:22pm
Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 1:39pm "My Government will strengthen and renew democracy and the constitution. Legislation will be introduced to ensure the integrity of elections, protect freedom of speech and restore the balance of power between the executive, legislature and the courts."

Here we go.

Jonathan
Which basically means, set the election process so that only tories win, have voter ID (exclude the poor) - a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist, make it impossible for a government’s decisions to be challenged even if blatantly illegal. Freedom of speech is about right wing speakers and some with differing views on sexuality being uninvited.
I thought our Government was declaring that there was not time to look at anything other than Covid. So things like Scottish Independence we keep getting told (by Johnsons bag people) what the electorate want is to focus on Covid so how come they suddenly have time to fix things that are not even issues?

Ian
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Psamathe wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:41pm so how come they suddenly have time to fix things that are not even issues?
Ian
It suits them and their agenda.It's as simple as that.
Hardly surprising really.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The only election fraud in recent times was that committed by Cummings’ vote leave campaign.

We are now moving to a place where government cannot be challenged, protest will be severely curtailed and many voters will be excluded from voting. And some people express surprise that some of us are anti-this government!
John