Elderly / Child GPS Tracker - Locator - Fencing - SOS

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Elderly / Child GPS Tracker - Locator - Fencing - SOS

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 19 Nov 2020, 9:20pm

Hi,
In Laws are falling in garden and not been able to communicate with anyone!
Any recommendations for an elderly person who call fall and cant get up inside home and out for a short walk?

There are so many devices out there so need some ideas from those already using one / bought for another?
Some are subscription plus sim card?
I suspect any that are useful will need a sim card?
Electronic fencing would be good alerting family when they leave home?
Standby time?

TIA
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Psamathe

Re: Elderly / Child GPS Tracker - Locator - Fencing - SOS

Postby Psamathe » 19 Nov 2020, 11:23pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In Laws are falling in garden and not been able to communicate with anyone!
Any recommendations for an elderly person who call fall and cant get up inside home and out for a short walk?

There are so many devices out there so need some ideas from those already using one / bought for another?
Some are subscription plus sim card?
I suspect any that are useful will need a sim card?
Electronic fencing would be good alerting family when they leave home?
Standby time?

TIA

My Mum's local Council run an emergency line which provides the individual with a small neck fob transmitted with a button (wrist versions available) and a receiver connected to your phone line. The receiver looks a bit like an old answer phone and includes speaker/mike. Press the button and the use their systems to open a voice channel to ask what's wrong. If no answer they send somebody round a.s.a.p. Part of the service if fitting/setting-up an outdoor "keysafe" (front door key in a secure digital safe secreted/fitted somewhere) so any help attending can let themselves in if needed (e.g. fall).

The people sent round are trained and have the special inflatable lifting gear to get a disabled person up from a fall. System includes radio smoke & gas & CO detectors linked to central receiver.

If they send somebody round they can also set-up to call you). In my parents case it's setup so they'll send somebody and then call nearest son, if no answer, call next nearest and if no answer call me in addition. So you can also head round (or even get there sooner if your close). Quite flexible and it has always worked, never let us down.

My parents have unfortunately had to use the service several times (sometimes just a few days apart).

https://helplineplus.co.uk

Check if your Council operate a similar scheme.

Only issue was Dad in the early days - he had dementia and "what's this round my neck" ... press button to see what happens ... 5 mins ... "what's this round my neck" ... press button ... But after time we got it sorted to he remembered he needed it and it worked. The operators were fine as they expect these sorts of issues.

Does not cover out for a walk and does not detect people leaving house. But is very good at helping with falls (which in my parents case only become a bigger risk and worry over time). But if you are having issues with falls then worth looking into something similar (in addition to the leaving the house).

Ian

rjb

Postby rjb » 20 Nov 2020, 1:29pm

Lidls sometimes sell devices for people who need some assistance. I've seen the occasional phone which has a large special emergency button which can be programmed to call a set number. These were far cheaper than the council services run toggle thing to wear around your neck. But of course it would rely upon your elders being able to recharge it and use it. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 20 Nov 2020, 2:31pm

Hi,
Its bad enough for me to remember charging devices :)
You know oldies 87 years both, ones lost hearing and sees poorly through one eye, the other is very forgetful, and is now stresing not being able to cope.
The one that can get out never takes their mobile, and probably never ever used it...............
One fell over in garden ans was there for 1/2 an hour, the other fell over in bathroom and partner could not get them up for 1/2 an hour, they have cleaners / carers but this is limited and they really are on the verge of losing independence all together but point blank refuse to leave the house behind.

From what I gather, the systems are based on subs and a connection to helpful telephone desk, only covers indoors?
Sim card.......how much do they cost now...can you still get PAYG?
Along with a sim card you get gps and all the bells and whistles.

Its recommended to charge units everyday, small device small battery...........

Will look in to council help.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 20 Nov 2020, 2:54pm

Its bad enough for me to remember charging devices :)
You know oldies 87 years both, ones lost hearing and sees poorly through one eye, the other is very forgetful, and is now stresing not being able to cope.
The one that can get out never takes their mobile, and probably never ever used it...............
One fell over in garden ans was there for 1/2 an hour, the other fell over in bathroom and partner could not get them up for 1/2 an hour, they have cleaners / carers but this is limited and they really are on the verge of losing independence all together but point blank refuse to leave the house behind.

From what I gather, the systems are based on subs and a connection to helpful telephone desk, only covers indoors?
Sim card.......how much do they cost now...can you still get PAYG?
Along with a sim card you get gps and all the bells and whistles.

Its recommended to charge units everyday, small device small battery...........

Will look in to council help.

The council details above almost certainly vary with what authority you are in. One above is Colchester. Their neck/wrist buttons don't need recharging and they would come out for a fall in the garden (but you'd need to check radio coverage buttons to base). In my parents case only Dad had dementia so Mum could make sure he was wearing his button, though once used to the thing it became part of his ritual and something he'd always make sure he did (and even when he could not remember our names he still remembered the button and what it was for - to the point where when I was 24/7 live-in care and Mum had a fall all Dad could do was keep telling me to press the button. They have the special inflatable things to lift people who have fallen, un-inflated a flat "mat" on the ground that they slide the person onto and then have an electric inflator that inflates the device lifting the person

i.e. no manual lifting. We looked at getting one but they are expensive and the helpline people always carry one every visit.

There is a subscription but even with that it is very subsidised and unsure if there are means tested "subscriptions. The subscription is all you pay, it includes all call-outs and they are very tolerant of false alarms (they expect them due to the situation of many they are helping).

The helpline people visit each year to change the neck/wrist batteries, check the smoke and other detectors and check-out the system (included in the subscription). I guess subsidising such a service is a lot better (and cheaper) that them paying for a care home or social services.

But the Colchester one does not detect people leaving the house and I doubt they'd call out to find somebody wandered off.

Ian

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Nov 2020, 3:32pm

Hi All, I hope that my wife doesn't read this thread! Talk about "Big Brother is watching you"? If she changes the locks at home it will be to keep me in, not lock me out!
But on a serious point they have one great flaw, the charge has to carry the ruddy thing!
I had a frail neighbour whose daughter signed her up for it. As she lived in Liverpool, the daughter in Southampton, it should have been a good idea. Alas she didn't follow the script, so when thing went wrong for the dear old dear she never had the trigger device.
Three times I had to force entry to rescue her, then I would have to contact the family. As I was already looking after my elderly parents who lived in their own home it was too much! Being a good neighbour is one thing but this was a bit too much.
Technology is not the answer. MM

alanesq

Postby alanesq » 20 Nov 2020, 4:49pm

This article by Big Clive on his experience of using a GPS tracker may be of interest/use?
http://bigclive.com/gps.htm

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Nov 2020, 5:45pm

IMO one of the best features of Psamathe's system is this:-

Free for the first 12 weeks. After this, you can decide whether to continue or not

I tried all manner of things for my mother, although medical emergencies / wandering off were not frequent problems.

Something may seem ideal to the carer / close relative, but they are useless if the person doesn't like them or cannot use them.

As an example, my mother had a rather silly phone which dated from her Hyacinth Bucket tendencies and she found it difficult to use. I bought her one of those big button jobbies which was ok and it had a couple of speed dial buttons. I stuck a Dymo label saying "Michael" on it. That's my middle name and my mother was one of the very few people who used it. One morning at 7-00am, my phone went and the caller asked "Is that Michael?"

My mother had left her flat and asked a couple of passers-by what dat it was. They had taken her back inside and pressed my button, so to speak. I was able to drive over in a few minutes and all was well in the circumstances. I decided to buy a clock which clearly displayed the day/date: there's exactly the same model as an optional extra on Psamathe's link. I mounted it in a prominent position over her mantelpiece, but on my next visit she had climbed up on a chair and lifted it down because it looked like an office clock (Hyacinth Bucket again.) I bought her a much more discreet version of the same clock, rejected just as quickly.

For us then, it was a combination of an inability to cope with new technology, personal taste, and lifelong habits eg My mother was from a generation who went round unplugging everything at night. Extending that to the fridge and CH caused problems.

I also see from Psamathe's link that the providers reserve the right to vary the charge without notice. The activations a day during that free trial period may up the charges, I suspect

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 20 Nov 2020, 7:23pm

Hi,
Posted this to remind / help me if nothing else-
https://www.which.co.uk/later-life-care ... bn15v6qmgq

Yep getting them to wear something.......if only...

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Nov 2020, 7:44pm

Posted this to remind / help me if nothing else-
https://www.which.co.uk/later-life-care ... bn15v6qmgq

Yep getting them to wear something.......if only...

When that article gets down to explaining the systems, it's addressed to the person who will be summoning assistance, rather than the responder. In general, I'd say that anybody capable of absorbing that info and making decisions based on it would be better served with a mobile phone. I appreciate that they may be overwhelmed by an emergency preventing their use of the phone but that can happen to anybody.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 20 Nov 2020, 8:14pm

Another (maybe related) thought is a "convention/scheme" to help emergency responders. Obviously I don't know your in-laws so not suggesting any capability or lack of capability, but in a general context there is a scheme called "Message in a Bottle" where all medication/conditions are written (paper) put in a special bottle (from Lions) and kept in the fridge (maybe 2 if two people living there). Stickers applied inside the front door. Ambulance, paramedic, responders who don't know the individual are aware of the scheme and will note the stickers and know to look for the special bottle in the fridge to find medication/condition details. Even with a partner present, for some should one person fall badly the other partner may become flustered and not be able to give an accurate account of medication/conditions to attending paramedics (and they really do want such info).

Google it if appropriate of e.g. https://www.scas.nhs.uk/news/campaigns/message-in-a-bottle/. Might be a fiddle to get the things (I tried but my local Lions were out of stock, then I had to move in, then Care Home).

Ian

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Nov 2020, 8:56pm

After my father died, my mother - then in her late 60s -eventually moved into a newly-built housing association block of flats. She was the first in there and soon saw herself as some sort of leader. After a while, somebody official turned up to do something like disconnecting a utility at one of the flats in the absence of the occupier. When they buzzed all the flats she let them in the front door with the remote switch but was miffed when they suggested she might get lost when she inquired about their business. Both my brother and I tried to convince her not to let anybody in who wasn't both known to her and visiting her. She was eventually persuaded to the extent of being over-persuaded so nobody would get in. All the close family eventually had keys.

In any case, a container in the fridge not containing food would have been binned.

Everybody is different.

rjb

Postby rjb » 24 Nov 2020, 6:19pm

This tag looks promising.

BBC News - Wristbands to help dementia sufferers who go missing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55056759
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 24 Nov 2020, 8:54pm

Hi,
Thanks for all your replys / suggestions.
I was thinking electronic tagging :mrgreen:
They cant remove it............but still needs charging one hour each day...........................offence not to keep it charged. :lol:

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Nov 2020, 10:00pm

rjb wrote:This tag looks promising.

BBC News - Wristbands to help dementia sufferers who go missing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55056759

I'm not sure that offers any more than some sort of wristband etc containing the same info in written form.