Repeated Bullying By Your Boss

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Repeated Bullying By Your Boss

Postby Jdsk » 20 Nov 2020, 5:06pm

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 20 Nov 2020, 5:16pm

I suspect she'll either be gone by then or Johnson will use loads of taxpayers money for an out-of-court settlement (so we all bear the cost of his appointment's failures/inability).

Ian

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Nov 2020, 5:49pm

With a gagging clause so we don't know how much

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 20 Nov 2020, 10:54pm

Unpublished NewsBiscuit (I think a good one)
http://newsbiscuit.com/forum/topic.php?id=150933 wrote:Being bullied by Priti Patel tops Tory fetish list

Found guilty of breaching the Ministerial Code for bullying, no further action will be taken against Priti Patel – other than a request from the PM’s Office for photos. Rather than seen as a problem, many repressed MPs are now queueing up to be punished by the Home Secretary.

With her starched high-collared jackets and cheeky smirk, Priti Patel has become a favourite among those aroused by the idea of mixing Kim Jong-Un with Mary Poppins. Said one privately educated Minister: ‘Often after a long day at the office, I like to unwind with someone yelling profanities at me, followed by a short bout of flagellation. I can’t see what all the fuss is about? God, I miss Nanny.’
Asked if he thought that she should apologize to the bullied civil servants: ‘Apologise? Lucky, muckers. They should be paying her’.

Ian

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Nov 2020, 11:52pm

simonineaston wrote:So, Boris, as predicted, has bottled it and the head of the inquiry promptly resigned. :roll:

Nowt new there then :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Nov 2020, 11:54pm

Jdsk wrote:"I feel that it is right that I should now resign from my position as the Prime Minister’s independent adviser on the Code"

At which point our regulatory system can be seen to have failed.

Jonathan

Quite right,just another version of the Trump regeme :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Nov 2020, 3:08am

Psamathe wrote:

I suspect she'll either be gone by then or Johnson will use loads of taxpayers money for an out-of-court settlement (so we all bear the cost of his appointment's failures/inability).

Ian

The claimant could, if they were sure of their case, refuse any offer and get their day in court.

Meanwhile, her apology is of the "I'm sorry if..." rather than "I'm sorry that..." kind, which makes it pretty useless. And Tory MPs as one tweet that she can't be a bully because she is very kind and she has to be tough.
John

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 21 Nov 2020, 9:15am

Looks like a replay of the same poor judgement we saw on display when he dealt with Cummings, albeit in an entirely different context, Patel being a secretary of state. However, I can't see much difference in the principles - the colleague is clearly in the wrong, as was Cummings (serially, as opposed to Cummings single trip to the opticians), the PM has clearly come down on the side of power-trumps-all, resulting in yet more loss of trust and setting completely the wrong example * to all & sundry and furthemore, when more light is shone on the colleague's modus operandi, he will likely be backed into a corner again and if forced to deal with her as standards demand, will be seen, yet again, to have backed the wrong horse.
* Its a cornucopea of poor behaviour, encouraging others to flout guidelines, ignore offcial reports, shout & swear at colleagues and to walk away from any responsibility...
byyeee,
SiE

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Nov 2020, 9:18am

We knew he was without integrity. We elected his party and hence him overwhelmingly. We got what we asked for.

It's carp, but that's just what it is. :(

DaveReading

Postby DaveReading » 21 Nov 2020, 9:34am

Oldjohnw wrote:Meanwhile, her apology is of the "I'm sorry if..." rather than "I'm sorry that..." kind

Actually, it wasn't.

Her words were

"I'm sorry that [not if] my behaviour has [not might have] upset people".

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Nov 2020, 9:45am

DaveReading wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Meanwhile, her apology is of the "I'm sorry if..." rather than "I'm sorry that..." kind

Actually, it wasn't.

Her words were

"I'm sorry that [not if] my behaviour has [not might have] upset people".

I wrote "is of the ifkind'. I wasn't literally quoting her. For example, she said she didn't know she was bullying. It was drawn to her attention within a month of her starting.
John

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 21 Nov 2020, 9:58am

So, we have two heads of state currently behaving as if accepted standards of behaviour simply don't matter any more... I guess we should be feel lucky at least that we're not quite in the Alice Through The Looking Glass bonkers world of Trump (with his increasingly obvious cognitive impairment) and his sweaty, drippy, trouser-diving "attorney", his serial-lying "press secretary" who refuses to answer questions and his leech-like family, busy sucking up millions of US tax payers money while they still can!
byyeee,
SiE

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 21 Nov 2020, 10:12am

Johnson's claim about "no feedback" - why did they pay-off an aid (£25,000)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/02/cabinet-office-to-investigate-priti-patel-bullying-claims wrote:In claims reported by the BBC, the embattled minister was accused of shouting at a former aide with “unprovoked aggression” before removing her from her job.

The aide received a £25,000 government payout after a threatened lawsuit in which Patel was named, the report said, adding that Patel was accused of shouting at the aide to “get lost” and “get out of her face”.

The legal correspondence alleges that the civil servant took an overdose of prescription medicine shortly after the October 2015 incident.

or
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/20/priti-patel-boris-johnson-bullying-report-findings wrote:However, Sir Philip Rutnam, who resigned as the Home Office’s permanent secretary after accusing Patel of a “vicious and orchestrated briefing campaign” against him, added to the pressure on Patel by challenging a claim in the bullying report that she had been given no feedback about her behaviour by civil servants, and was therefore unaware of the impact.

“This is not correct,” Rutnam said. “As early as August 2019, the month after her appointment, she was advised that she must not shout and swear at staff. I advised her on a number of further occasions between September 2019 and February 2020 about the need to treat staff with respect, and to make changes to protect health, safety and wellbeing.”

It's just been swept under the carpet and ignored (probably Johnson's only ability) so to claim "no feedback" is just lies.

And the enquiry didn't even talk to Rutnam who has recently said he discussed her behaviour with her on several occasions
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/20/priti-patel-boris-johnson-bullying-report-findings wrote:In another remarkable admission, he said he was “at no stage asked to contribute evidence to the Cabinet Office investigation”.

Ian

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 21 Nov 2020, 10:13am

Bonefishblues wrote:We knew he was without integrity. We elected his party and hence him overwhelmingly. We got what we asked for.

simonineaston wrote:So, we have two heads of state currently behaving as if accepted standards of behaviour simply don't matter any more...

It happening in both countries at the same time will be great for historians. Not so good to live through.

Lots of attention to the strangeness of the electoral system in the USA, we could do with more attention to that in the UK. Bonefishblues carefully added the hence: would we do better with direct section of the Head of Government and/or Head of State? And when did you last see the result of the popular vote in the 2019 General Election... the UK also has an Electoral College. The USA's nightmare is nearly over, ours isn't. And the USA has term limits anyway...

Jonathan

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 21 Nov 2020, 10:15am

Oldjohnw wrote:....And Tory MPs as one tweet that she can't be a bully because she is very kind and she has to be tough.

I find is amazing how so many Tory MPs seem to think that because she's nice and kind to them then she can't be a bully. Do they not understand that bullies pick on (generally weaker) individuals and are perfectly pleasant to many others.

And others seem to think that because she is "determined" that means her bullying is acceptable or not bullying. Those Tory MPs probably haven't even read the report, don't know the details yet blindly leap to her defence - says as much about them and their denial than anything else.

Ian