Oh just great.........

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
eileithyia

Oh just great.........

Postby eileithyia » 25 Jun 2008, 12:18pm

Following the accident to my car, and after a couple of weeks of insurance co's f***ing around it now turns out the toe-rag's insurance ran out 12.00 on day of accident, accident was at 12.10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now my insurance have to recover the £1000 or so repair bill from him direct or he is threatened with prosecution.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 25 Jun 2008, 12:28pm

What a nightmare for you!

I hope it's soon sorted.
Dee

pigman

Postby pigman » 25 Jun 2008, 12:49pm

be interested to know if his was the same insurance co as yours. It'd be a good dodge for them. My workmate here had her car smashed into. turned out the causer's insurance Co. was the same as hers, so they were always at a loss with no incentive to settle In the end, she accepted a pittance and moved on (a mate of hers was selling a bargain of a car so she did ok by luck).

also, time of lapse is very coincidental - dont they usually expire at midnight?

As a fallback, there is an uninsured losses fund somewhere out there for the likes of you to fall back on. Try a websearch, or citizens advice.

Still, its a bummer tho'.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 25 Jun 2008, 12:59pm

Hi thanks for that pigman but it is a different insurer, mine's Quinn their's was Cornhill. Have always wondered what would happen if two crashed cars were insured by the same company.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

commuter world

Postby commuter world » 25 Jun 2008, 1:03pm

the MIB (motor insurance bureau) are set up to cover uninsured drivers, so you will be okay, it may just take a while

your insurance co will have all the details on this

i have paperwork about it at home from the course on civil law i have just finished so PM me if you can't find anything out & i'll let you know
this is why events unerve me

pigman

Postby pigman » 25 Jun 2008, 1:14pm

eileithyia wrote:Hi thanks for that pigman but it is a different insurer, mine's Quinn their's was Cornhill. Have always wondered what would happen if two crashed cars were insured by the same company.

Ah, dont be so hasty in saying that. Hers were "different". She found out by speaking to one of the call centre reps that the companies were in fact the same, just under a different trading name/branding. it arises when they buy each other out and retain the old names that had goodwill (and other reasons no doubt). Maybe yours and his are totally unrelated though.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 25 Jun 2008, 2:39pm

yes had forgotten that one, could be possible, though it would seem his insurance had lapsed so it is slightly different, hopefully the threat of legal action/points on license etc., will be enough for them to consider coughing up the pennies for my car (they live at a posh enough cheshire address, not that that is anything to go by).

re your comment about companies, just been on argos and homebase sites looking at beds, surprise surprise they have exactly the same beds, same prices, same piccies!, so presume they are owned by one parent company.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Jun 2008, 6:01pm

commuter world wrote:the MIB (motor insurance bureau) are set up to cover uninsured drivers, so you will be okay, it may just take a while

Unless this has recently changed, the MIB only deals with personal injury. The damage to your car is only recoverable from the other driver personally, through the County Court, if necessary. Otherwise, it's down to you and your own insurance company. Unfortunately.

gaz

Postby gaz » 25 Jun 2008, 9:06pm

eileithyia wrote:just been on argos and homebase sites looking at beds, surprise surprise they have exactly the same beds, same prices, same piccies!, so presume they are owned by one parent company.

Home Retail Group.

Are you planning to put a wheel on each corner of the bed and fashion some form of recumbent to replace the car? :lol:
Missing, presumed fed.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 26 Jun 2008, 8:11am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hadn't thought of that one, could be......
No teenage son wants bedroom re-arranging, so look in sales and wants in the future, not cycle related but will be selling bunk bed with underneath desk/pull out sleepover bed. :lol:

srw

Postby srw » 26 Jun 2008, 9:30am

[quote]
Unless this has recently changed, the MIB only deals with personal injury. The damage to your car is only recoverable from the other driver personally, through the County Court, if necessary. Otherwise, it's down to you and your own insurance company. Unfortunately.[/quote]

Not true, and never has been true. The MIB deals with both personal injury and property damage claims.

[quote]
mine's Quinn their's was Cornhill. Have always wondered what would happen if two crashed cars were insured by the same company.
[/quote]

Quinn is an Irish registered insurer trading in the UK. Cornhill is a trading name of Allianz Insurance plc, a UK registered insurer and part of the German-based Allianz SE group.

If two cars are insured by the same company things should speed up, as the same claim handler will deal with both claims. Insurance companies have every incentive to settle claims quickly - it's their only contact with the public, and certain costs (e.g. of storing cars and providing replacement cars) increase with time.

pigman

Postby pigman » 26 Jun 2008, 2:59pm

srw wrote:If two cars are insured by the same company things should speed up, as the same claim handler will deal with both claims. Insurance companies have every incentive to settle claims quickly - it's their only contact with the public, and certain costs (e.g. of storing cars and providing replacement cars) increase with time.

yes, but not the experience borne by my workmate. Even though they were paying for a courtesy car etc, there were some delaying tactics (or so it seemed) and an unfair settlement was offered. It was only when the "oh and there might be some whiplash as my husband has started having a stiff neck" that things moved on. I dont know the behind-the-scenes workings, but its not unreasonable to assume minimising the claim is a priority when the insurance company is bearing the cost regardless of who is at fault. (and I'm sure a major insurance Co .wont be the paying the same rates for the hire car as Joe public would, so the ongoing cost of this is not too severe)