Freebies from Amazon anyone?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Freebies from Amazon anyone?

Post by mercalia »

It seems a new from of "abuse" is BRUSHING where sellers on Amazon send items to anyone so that they can then add glowing reviews and boost their own reputation. Seems like some people are real targets. Any one know how I can sign up to these freebies and state a preference of items

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-55117037
rjb

Re: Freebies from Amazon anyone?

Post by rjb »

Wait till you get your free unordered iphone15 followed by a courier a little later saying it was delivered in error. :twisted:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rjb wrote:Wait till you get your free unordered iphone15 followed by a courier a little later saying it was delivered in error. :twisted:

Followed by me saying "No idea what you're talking about mate. Shall we call the police?".

I've been looking forward to being a victim of brushing, trouble is I just know I'll be sent loads of stuff that's useless to me.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I'm a victim of this heinous crime and have been several times. The list of goodies I've received so far are:

Handlebar Grips, a posture support brace, birthday banner and ballons, twin pack of neck scarf/buff type thing, iPad stylus, wireless earbus and the only item I've actually made us of is a QI coil that plugs into a micro-SD port and enables wireless charging on the device it's plugged into. All the items have been addressed to me but don't show in my orders.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

kwackers wrote:
rjb wrote:Wait till you get your free unordered iphone15 followed by a courier a little later saying it was delivered in error. :twisted:

Followed by me saying "No idea what you're talking about mate. Shall we call the police?".

I've been looking forward to being a victim of brushing, trouble is I just know I'll be sent loads of stuff that's useless to me.

Like mick getting men's anti dandruff shampoo for example? Actually one lady on the news gave shampoo for blondes as an example of something of no use to her. She was, ahem, a brunette, hair dye was probably of more use!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's a simple answer.
Don't buy anything off Amazon.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

They're buying it and shipping it to a random name to get a registered sale so their Amazon review can be posted with a verified sale. It's about manipulating Amazon reviews and thus persuading more punters to buy their stuff. It's marketing against the spirit if not the rules of Amazon reviews.

You don't need to buy from Amazon only exist with an address to send stuff to.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I have just received two 'Super hero' aprons from Amazon.In my name etc.No paperwork in the box.
I haven't ordered them,wife hasn't.I've checked my Amazon account and there is no reference to them anywhere.I have emailed Amazon to see what gives!
further

Post by further »

We use Amazon to check prices then go elsewhere.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Today I received a letter from Amazon containing a credit card type "membership" card.
As I have received a couple of scam phone calls purporting to be from Amazon about a Prime account, I was a bit concerned.
The letter states that I am eligible for a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime and asks me to log in to activate.
Like others, I try my best not to use private sellers or local stores, but I confess to having used them quite a lot for various purchases.
Most folks that do likewise will know that when ordering products, the payment template defaults to trying Amazon Prime for free.
Given that I always diligently opt out not to have the free trial, they must know that I do not want it.

This is the first time though, that I've been targeted by Amazon in any form and I'm still concerned at this new development of direct contact.
I'm sure this is not a scam and is a genuine Amazon marketing ploy, but I naively thought this wasn't allowed these days.
Needless to say, the card was shredded and recycled.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I had the free 30 day trial of Amazon video card too but as I've already got Amazon Prime with Video included foc, also had a free 90 day trial of Amazon music which I'm tempted with.
Back to the subject of freebies, on Sunday I had a babygate delivered. On checking it out, it can be bought for £50. Wish they'd deliver the stuff I ordered, last two deliveries have gone missing :(
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:I have just received two 'Super hero' aprons from Amazon.In my name etc.No paperwork in the box.
I haven't ordered them,wife hasn't.I've checked my Amazon account and there is no reference to them anywhere.I have emailed Amazon to see what gives!

Mystery solved.
They are a freebie/goodwill gesture as I've had to use Amazons very good replace/refund service.Not sure why they felt the need because they gave a full refund on an 18 month old keyboard despite it being out of warranty.