Going carless?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Going carless?

Post by Syd »

Our car has had its MOT carried out today. Since the last MOT, 1 year and 5 days ago, it has traveled 2126 miles.

Surely this can’t be cost effective?

How do other low mileage forum members handle it? How cost effective are ‘car clubs’ for example?
Last edited by Syd on 7 Dec 2020, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Going carless?

Post by Jdsk »

Do you have predictable periods when it won't be used... which would bring SORNing into play.
https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

How easy would it be for you to rent or use taxis when needed?

Jonathan

PS: During the outbreak my always low mileage car has sat there unSORNed. And unused except for the MOT preparation and inspection.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If 2000ish miles per annum is your vehicle's norm year on year it may be better to hire a ca and or use taxis when a vehicle is necessary.
My own car does 10,000mile a year minimum and would be hardship not to have it,if only for Mrs R2'S only way of travel due to her disability.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Syd

Going carless?

Post by Syd »

I should have mentioned in the OP.

Car is £0 for the road fund license and insurance is around £220. Today’s MOT and annual service cost £175.

All that is left is fuel and any wear and tear items or breakdowns.

We have, what appears to be, reasonable access to the ‘Enterprise Car Club’ in our immediate area.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

£400 for 2000 miles is 20p a mile.
Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Does it have value? If so then sell it and buy something cheaper?
If it's getting on the annual service could be ignored and swapped for the occasional oil change. (MOT advisories should tell you about things like brake pads).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We do about 6,000miles a year.
Difficult to use public transport round here as there is little of it. Buses exist, but not at the right times or to the supermarkets without a bus change or two.

I was a volunteer driver for the local community bus, and TBH if it was still running, we might use it as passengers ........... but the bus has finished since Covid19.

We would pick people up from their front doors and take them to Tesco/Co-op/Morrisons/Lidl's and Tavistock town centre.
Wednesday to Callington and Friday to Tavistock.
Mondays and Tuesdays were trips away, and Thursdays were trips locally to the post office and local shops.
Just phone, and ask to be on the list for the pick-ups.

All stopped now. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

One of my children lives in London and has decided not to own a car. Has used "clubs" but doesn't bother now.

One of the big issues for renting is to have the administration/ registration/ hours of opening/ ordering/ method of payment squared well before it's needed. Then each decision to rent is as easy as possible.

Taxis similar but obviously easier.

Jonathan

PS: Will Enterprise bring the vehicle to you?
Syd

Going carless?

Post by Syd »

Advisories on the MOT both relate to front tyres (now at 4mm).

Car is 4 years old and will hold some value (WBAC place it at around £8,000).

The Enterprise Car Club is one example. They have a number of ‘hubs’ which are areas where the cars are parked up. There are three within 2k of my home. They provide n app and direct you to the closest car which meets your booking requirements.

The other, and probably, better option is standard rental for those longer journeys and rare times we need it.
Syd

Post by Syd »

kwackers wrote:£400 for 2000 miles is 20p a mile.
Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Does it have value? If so then sell it and buy something cheaper?
If it's getting on the annual service could be ignored and swapped for the occasional oil change. (MOT advisories should tell you about things like brake pads).

Add in fuel will take that up to a little over 30p a mile.

Owned the car three years and had no other costs, other than depreciation, but that can’t go on for for ever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Syd wrote:I should have mentioned in the OP.

Car is £0 for the road fund license and insurance is around £220. Today’s MOT and annual service cost £175.

We have, what appears to be, reasonable access to the ‘Enterprise Car Club’ in our immediate area.

The equation doesn't take into account depreciation, which is usually the most significant cost of ownership.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hang on in there folks - it really isn't going to be long until you simply order an autonomous 'leccy jobbie to come to your house, ad hoc, to take you and yours, whither you would, innit. :shock: Presumably, there'll be some sort of arrangement to wipe the seats clean before it arrives... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonineaston wrote:Hang on in there folks - it really isn't going to be long until you simply order an autonomous 'leccy jobbie to come to your house, ad hoc, to take you and yours, whither you would, innit. :shock: Presumably, there'll be some sort of arrangement to wipe the seats clean before it arrives... :wink:

I expect it'll be like those continental loos that stormed the High Streets many years ago.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Syd wrote:Our car has had its MOT carried out today. Since the last MOT, 1 year and 5 days ago, it has traveled 2126 miles.

Surely this can’t be cost effective?

How do other low mileage forum members handle it? How cost effective are ‘car clubs’ for example?

I should have mentioned in the OP.

My bike had its MOT last friday. This year I did 75 miles. And that 75 miles was just giving the bike a few miles run now and then to keep things working and lubricated. MOT £30. Third party fire and theft insurance £104. Has never failed its MOT.Anyone beat that? Bike is now 25 years old ( I have had it for 20 years) and worth only a few £100. I have in the last few years sorned it over the winter and just get it out during the summer for a heavy duty camping trip. This year nothing. I do all my own servicing.
100_7198.JPG

I would have thought £400 pa is cheap and worth having the car as a resource should you need it, why I keep my bike
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Syd wrote:I should have mentioned in the OP.

In which case keep the car.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

I gave up car ownership in 1999, somewhat by accident, it was a few years later that it actually became a decision, or lifestyle for those who consider it as such.
I thought I'd use taxis and hire far more than I do, ignoring this untypical year and taking last year as more typical.
Car club (Co-Wheels) one weekend, three single days and a couple of part days.
Six taxi trips, from 7 to 20 miles.
About 25 train trips
Six coach trips
That's probably around 4,000 miles, cost roughly between £500 - £600

For me, part of getting it right has been not trying to replicate what I did by car, though it took a while to stop doing that. Circumstances dictate of course, I have the time and journeys are rarely rushed or urgent. There's also been times in my life where it wouldn't have been possible, and there may be again, though there's also been times when I was racking up the miles and could quite easily have not been.