Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stevek76

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Stevek76 »

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/arti ... ish-societ

Not sure the perception of who is antivax is entirely fair...
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
pwa

Post by pwa »

peetee wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 9:09pm I’m all jabbed up against COVID 19 and currently suffering from a cold. It’s the first one I have had for a number of years and it’s an absolute belter. I have taken a test which confirms it’s not ‘the big one‘ and having had flu I know it’s nowhere near severe enough for that but I find it curious it’s hit me so badly so soon after the vaccination.
There will be a lot more like you soon. All this distancing, lockdown, etc has suppressed colds and flu, reducing our immunity, so we will see a surge in those illnesses in the coming months.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 5:20am
peetee wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 9:09pm I’m all jabbed up against COVID 19 and currently suffering from a cold. It’s the first one I have had for a number of years and it’s an absolute belter. I have taken a test which confirms it’s not ‘the big one‘ and having had flu I know it’s nowhere near severe enough for that but I find it curious it’s hit me so badly so soon after the vaccination.
There will be a lot more like you soon. All this distancing, lockdown, etc has suppressed colds and flu, reducing our immunity, so we will see a surge in those illnesses in the coming months.
Yes. The clearest example so far being RSV infection in children:
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... lia-this-y

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 8:24pm
fullfathom5 wrote:For those interested you can download the AZ / EU contract at: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... /IP_21_302

Looking at clauses 5.1 and 5.4 and their statement regarding 'Best Reasonable Efforts' it appears to a layperson like me that the EU don't have a particularly strong case.
Thanks for reposting that link.

It is not a slam dunk, but is AZ failing to use the listed UK production really "best reasonable efforts"? I think there is a chance a court might one day decide it was not.
Settled:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58426880

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Ugh, that reminds me...

I was quite chuffed after my second jab that at the first attempt, the needle was too blunt to go in; consequently the nurse had to use a fresh needle and the residual pain in my arm was about half that of the first jab - yay!

Until something somewhere on the internet (it's not hard to find even though it is really) got me realising that that must have meant that the first needle must have been used for several patients before me.

Still, assuming that health professionals know more than I do (which wouldn't be hard!), it could be that this wasn't an issue; quite possibly a needle can be re-used several times without subsequently infecting a patient.

No doubt someone on here with more medical knowledge than me can reassure me (or not!), but I suppose it just goes to show that we kinda sorta have to put our lives in the hands of health professionals and hope for the best.

Realistically, tbh, I'm long past caring, so that's ok.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Needle will not have been reused, it might have just been blunt, but it’s more likely that it wasn’t pushed perfectly straight.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm double-jabbed, and also subsequently had Covid19.

Am I triple jabbed?
Bomb proof?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

In the UK the policy and guidance is that needles for vaccination are only used on one person.

I think that it's very unlikely that the problem was that it had been used on a previous person.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 4:52pm I'm double-jabbed, and also subsequently had Covid19.

Am I triple jabbed?
Bomb proof?
It's possible that you'll have greater subsequent immunity than if you hadn't had the infection. There's at least one laboratory study that suggests that. There'll be a lot of work on this, and it's likely to affect both policy on booster immunisation and the design of future vaccines.

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 4:49pm Needle will not have been reused, it might have just been blunt, but it’s more likely that it wasn’t pushed perfectly straight.
That's what I thought at the time so maybe that was right. The nurse was trying to suggest that I had too much muscle in my arm but I'm a cyclist (as are the other folk on this forum) - legs like pistons, arms like pipe cleaners - so I guess maybe she was just kidding herself on.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 4:53pm In the UK the policy and guidance is that needles for vaccination are only used on one person.

I think that it's very unlikely that the problem was that it had been used on a previous person.
Indeed. It's far more likely that the problem was that the needles contract went to Hancock's ex-landlord's mate's window cleaner's brother and quality control of sharpness isn't what it ought to be.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve had 2 OAZ jabs. I don’t give them a snowball’s chance in hell of working against most of the new variants, nor do I care. I have my ‘Covid passport’ that’s good enough.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 10:06pm I’ve had 2 OAZ jabs. I don’t give them a snowball’s chance in hell of working against most of the new variants, nor do I care. I have my ‘Covid passport’ that’s good enough.
Your jabs may not prevent you getting the virus but they will greatly reduce your chances of being really ill from it. Most of the people actually ending up in hospital now are not staying there very long, and most are recovering. The vaccines have made a huge difference in that regard. I think you have a level of protection very much worth having, as well as having your vaccine passport.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The vaccines have done a fair job but not as good as I first hoped.
Watching the success of the UK's roll out of vaccination I hoped it would be the answer and when France caught up we would be safe as well.
With the numbers of outbreaks and deaths on the up it seems it was only a partial answer.
At the moment rates of infections and deaths are lower here but judging by the UK ours is set to rise again at any time.
Is this the way it will continue?
I hate not travelling and wearing a mask but if I felt restrictions would wipe covid out then I'd be happier about observing the rules.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 7:05am
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 10:06pm I’ve had 2 OAZ jabs. I don’t give them a snowball’s chance in hell of working against most of the new variants, nor do I care. I have my ‘Covid passport’ that’s good enough.
Your jabs may not prevent you getting the virus but they will greatly reduce your chances of being really ill from it. Most of the people actually ending up in hospital now are not staying there very long, and most are recovering. The vaccines have made a huge difference in that regard. I think you have a level of protection very much worth having, as well as having your vaccine passport.
I agree.

And they're holding up well against the new variants.

But I expect some redesign in the near future.

Jonathan