Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
LollyKat

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by LollyKat »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:02am The figures are both absolute totals though.
It must be said that the beginning of the outbreak in India, that is first cases, more or less coincided with those of the UK.

It is the size of the discrepancy that shocks me.
Compared to the UK, India is faring extremely well, so far.
The figures are absolute totals so far. But the comparison is likely to look very different in a few months time, particularly with India's low vaccination rates, more contagious variants and continuing mass gatherings. Hospitals are overwhelmed already.

What are the chances of this variant spreading here?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

LollyKat wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:31pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:02am The figures are both absolute totals though.
It must be said that the beginning of the outbreak in India, that is first cases, more or less coincided with those of the UK.

It is the size of the discrepancy that shocks me.
Compared to the UK, India is faring extremely well, so far.
The figures are absolute totals so far. But the comparison is likely to look very different in a few months time, particularly with India's low vaccination rates, more contagious variants and continuing mass gatherings. Hospitals are overwhelmed already.

What are the chances of this variant spreading here?
I agree.

That is the other interpretation of the figures, India is standing upon a gigantic precipice.
We shall see.

I hope that is the wrong interpretation.
I prefer the other in many ways.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LollyKat wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:31pmWhat are the chances of this variant spreading here?
Which variant, please?

B.1.1617?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineage_B.1.617

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Apologies as the article is behind a paywall and it may not let you read a number of free articles per month:

Covid in India: maps and charts track record cases and deaths

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/de55 ... 0b9e332f8c

The latest estimate is that there could be 19 million COVID cases per day in India.

Please see two screenshots I took of the article - just click to expand.
0B45BD61-D35B-474D-8EC6-A5B8BB314EF1.png
DC16269D-30B9-4439-BA93-8623AE0F1BF9.png
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:42pm
LollyKat wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:31pmWhat are the chances of this variant spreading here?
Which variant, please?

B.1.1617?

Jonathan
Yes
slowster

Post by slowster »

An interesting comparison:

Leave vs Remain.jpg
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

LollyKat wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 2:49pm
Jdsk wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:42pm
Which variant, please?

B.1.1617?

Jonathan
Yes
It’s highly likely to find it’s way to these shores, it would be folly to expect anything else. However, the question of whether it will cause a problem, is very complicated. It could cause a big problem, it might not. It depends largely on the vaccination programme. If enough people are successfully vaccinated, and the vaccines are as effective as they appear to be ( thus far ) it won’t be a big problem. If the uptake of vaccines is not as high, in the younger age groups, as it has been in the groups vaccinated so far, it’s possible it could get a foothold, and then cause an issue with rate of hospitalisations ( at least ). This variant has been studied, and it does carry three concerning ‘escape mutations’. However, it’s still believed that although it may evade the antibody response, to some extent, it won’t be able to evade the immune system’s other defence mechanisms so readily, which will ( hopefully) mean the vaccination programme will be effective at limiting any impact it ( and other variants) have on numbers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 1:57pm
philg wrote: If the EU had a watertight contract then they would have pursued legal avenues, presumably they hadn't so they didn't
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 13.56.36.png
Hearing has started:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ne ... 021-05-11/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Over the weekend I saw a member of my extended family who is 33. They are going for their first jab today with somebody of the same age and it seems all their circle in that age-group have either already been or are on the point of going.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A further factor for which it seems there is no vaccine is the behaviour of the Prime Minister. He wanted to go to India so delayed closing the border. The consequences are upon us.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:59pm A further factor for which it seems there is no vaccine is the behaviour of the Prime Minister. He wanted to go to India so delayed closing the border. The consequences are upon us.
Didn't expect him to accept any consequences did you?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 May 2021, 9:34am Over the weekend I saw a member of my extended family who is 33. They are going for their first jab today with somebody of the same age and it seems all their circle in that age-group have either already been or are on the point of going.
Age is still stuck at 30, the age limit went though the thirties very quickly as someone in that bracket there's people from across it still filtering through. What with stuff opening up, people are fitting them around other things and also wrestling with a booking system which you have to be a little persistent with to get one close and not tens of miles away. Seems second doses and moving them forward are getting prioritised at several places and then they open up remaining spots to 1sts at under a week notice.

Also AZ was (soft) restricted to 40+ a few weeks ago.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
pwa

Post by pwa »

Here in Wales people in their early twenties are having their first jab now. I'm 60 and had my second today.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My daughter had her first this week and she 28. Organised by her employer for the whole office.