Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 1:32pm
Vorpal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 9:12am My first jab is scheduled for next week. 8)
Without being intrusive or anything, why so late? Haven't they been jabbing 30 even 20 somethings for a week or two now?
Norway have not had the massive vaccine supply that producing countries, like the UK, USA, and Germany have had. They also are still not using the Astra Zeneca vaccine, because a disproportionate number of the blood clot cases were in Norway (IIRC about 25%, even though Norway was a tiny proportion of the users). They have begun on the 45 - 59 year old group about 3 weeks ago. Everyone I know who is 60 & older, vulnerable, living with someone vulnerable, or working in health care, has has at least the first, and in many cases both jabs.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aaaah! I thought you were in UK. I knew you'd lived in a few countries from past posts but got it into my head you were back in Britain.

It'll be interesting to find out later whether AZ reticent countries end up having made the right choice when risks vs benefits get looked at after the fact. There's been a big covid research push across a huge range of fields already, I wonder how many more years of research will be resulting from Covid pandemic. It's been like the wild west land grab the past year with rapid, quick research funding. Down and dirty I think they call it.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Well, let us hope that after all of the effort and sacrifice that have been used to create and implement a working vaccine project we learn all of the available lessons. I say this because we will probably suffer again before too long. History shows us that!
Beware the "Micro Beast From The East!". MM
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 1:32pm With the ramping up of jabs, is there any way you bring a jab appointment forward? I think that was mentioned once. I. Made both at the same time and the second was booked ASAP after the first. Now I'm wondering if the NHS booking allows you to look again for an earlier appointment.
Yes, it does. Go to www.nhs.uk and then covid vaccination, then down the page to "manage my bookings". You will need your NHS number (ideally) and your booking reference. The process is a bit scary in that you have to cancel your appointment before it lets you make a new one, but I've yet to hear of anyone not getting a wider choice of locations and earlier dates, especially if OxAZ. Mine has been pulled forwards by over 2 weeks and someone else I know by 4. Good luck!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

That's great Vorpal
I am here. Where are you?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

The booking system is quite sporadic from what I've found. When I initially tried to book it was offering only locations at silly distances so I left it. After a few days of checking back there were suddenly loads available just the other side of the weekend at the main vaccination center in Bristol.

I'm figuring that different locations have different processes in when they release 1st and 2nd vaccine slots to the system so there's an element of booking at the right time.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I didn't book.
They booked me.

......... for both.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 4:42pm
That's great Vorpal
:) It feels like someone punched me in the arm, but otherwise, no side effects, 24 hours after.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I think I got kind of lucky with my second jab - the first jab hurt for a few days, not quite as if someone had punched me in the arm, just more like someone had stuck a needle in my arm, which was to be expected, but when I went for my second jab the nurse couldn't get the needle to go in. At first she thought I was tensing up my muscles too much (although being a cyclist I don't have muscles in my arms, at least none to speak of, just in my legs!), but I wasn't and it turned out the needle was blunt. So I got a fresh needle and the pain in my arm went away in about half the time as the first jab.

No side effects after the first jab but a blinding headache about five days after the second one. If I was prone to headaches or migraines or even hangovers it might just have been a coincidence but I'm not, so I figure it was a reaction from my immune system. It passed within a day or so, that was three weeks ago so hopefully I'm out of the woods now.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

With both my jabs, the tenderness in the arm took a day to develop - there was nothing initially. I don’t know if that’s normal. My arm still feels bruised four days later.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Phileas wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 4:38pm With both my jabs, the tenderness in the arm took a day to develop - there was nothing initially. I don’t know if that’s normal. My arm still feels bruised four days later.
Those are both common.

NHS advice on side-effects, and when to seek advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... e-effects/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

slowster wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 8:59pm I think the key question is whether AZ made contractual undertakings that were reasonable and realistic, or whether it entered into a contract where it knew that it was very unlikely to be able to deliver.
First judgment published:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NaomiOhReall ... 4814726147

Jonathan
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 4:41pm
Phileas wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 4:38pm With both my jabs, the tenderness in the arm took a day to develop - there was nothing initially. I don’t know if that’s normal. My arm still feels bruised four days later.
Those are both common.
Both? I was aware a tender arm was normal - just surprised it took so long to develop and lasted so long.
The NHS page doesn’t exactly clear that up.
(Not the slightest bit worried, by the way, just curious)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, both common.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 12:00pm
Cowsham wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 4:42pm
That's great Vorpal
:) It feels like someone punched me in the arm, but otherwise, no side effects, 24 hours after.
First jab was like that for me -- think it depends on who gives it -- second was nothing hardly at all.

From the 28th I can now travel to the IOM without isolating -- I'd still need to apply to travel there but it's the safest place on planet earth atm. ( always has been in my opinion but I'm very biased so ignore that comment )
I am here. Where are you?