Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Who's had the vaccine?

Post by thirdcrank »

Now that vaccination has started, I think it would be useful to know who's had it and their comments, if any.

If it's not abundantly clear, I'm referring to Covid-19, not flu or bubonic plague.

It's not an attempt to set up an alternative vaccination passport but rather to see how the roll-out is going compared with the World-leading spin.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No, no! Perhaps you could add a poll allowing votes to be changed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If anybody who has had the vaccine decides to post, perhaps highlighting their contribution in a bright colour might make it more distinctive.

I'll repeat that this is an attempt to get a bit of insight into a subject receiving a lot of spin.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:If anybody who has had the vaccine decides to post, perhaps highlighting their contribution in a bright colour might make it more distinctive.

I'll repeat that this is an attempt to get a bit of insight into a subject receiving a lot of spin.

I suspect most of us are a bit down the waiting list for a vaccine, so you could be waiting quite a while.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent idea TC. If and when I get the vaccine, I'll report forthwith.

I'd like to think I'll get my jab sooner than my age (68) would suggest, as I am asthmatic.
All under control, but it's still there and I use preventative inhalers twice daily.

I must say though, every single year for tens of years, I've been ill from October through to February. Some winters more/worse than others. Heavy colds, infected lungs, bronchitis, even a touch of pneumonia one year. Had the flu jab every year since I was 50 and have been on steroids and antibiotics to clear it all up. Blocked ears, headaches, tiredness, sore throats and lethargy.

This winter?
Never been well-er than I am now.
Why?
Not going to crowded pubs and shops. Keeping away from people generally. People I do meet, are well-er too.

Every cloud has a silver lining eh? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pwa wrote:... I suspect most of us are a bit down the waiting list for a vaccine, so you could be waiting quite a while.

That's fair enough (in terms of what your saying, that is) although some suggest the forum demographic says otherwise. Some may feel the batting order unfair.

If it's not obvious, I'm partly motivated by trying to move on from the "Would you be vaccinated?" thread.

Ideally, before long the subject will become part of our history.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My wife and I, both nearer 90 than 80, are booked in for Christmas Eve.

That will be our only outing over the holiday (My solo bike rides do not constitute "outings") :D
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I might have had a vaccine. I'm on a trial for a vaccine from an American company called Novavax, but I don't know if I have had a vaccine or a placebo.
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for volunteering.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:Thanks for volunteering.

Jonathan

+ 1
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pwa wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:If anybody who has had the vaccine decides to post, perhaps highlighting their contribution in a bright colour might make it more distinctive.

I suspect most of us are a bit down the waiting list for a vaccine, so you could be waiting quite a while.

The vaccination program could get a big boost if the Oxford vaccine gets approval in the near future -- I predict the whole thing could be done before spring. Eternal optimist me.
I am here. Where are you?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cowsham wrote:
pwa wrote:

The vaccination program could get a big boost if the Oxford vaccine gets approval in the near future -- I predict the whole thing could be done before spring. Eternal optimist me.

I hope you are right.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have an appointment for mine for just after 11am next Tuesday. Mrs Syd’s appointment is 21 minutes later.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm well down the list, being too young. A cycling campaigner (in their mid 80s but you wouldn't guess by looking) was the first person I know to be vaccinated, last week. He went by bike, to some consternation from the medics. :-( I know another who is 82 or so but no idea if he's been called yet but he lives in a village in a rural borough so likely not.

Another campaigner, a recently retired medic, is wielding needles.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

They are talking about it taking til Easter to complete vaccination of the priority groups.

This is the list of groups from a BBC article here.

1. Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
  2. 80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. 75-year-olds and over
  4. 70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
  5. 65-year-olds and over
  6. 16 to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions
  7. 60-year-olds and over
  8. 55-year-olds and over
  9. 50-year-olds and over

The timing of wider vaccination of the rest of the population will depend on the logistics of having enough doses & people to administer them. I reckon that is likely to take until well into the summer at least. Speed of administration will still be limited somewhat by the ongoing need for additional cleaning & distancing.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.