Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by RickH »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:On another note.
Expotentially-That is definitely the buzz word for 2020 isn't it.Most of the people using it since hearing it on the news probably have no idea what it means but it makes them sound good :lol: :lol:

It is only become a "buzz word" because it describes how viral infections like Covid spread if left unchecked by other interventions, medical or otherwise. Do you understand what it means?

So often the effect on the elderly is emphasised or those with underlying health conditions dismissed as a reason to do nothing & just "let it rip" but nearly 50% of hospital admissions are under 50s. Many of those underlying health conditions, such as asthma & type 1 diabetes, are manageable & folk with them can live long & productive lives.

Then there's the effect of long covid - BBC News - Long Covid: More than a million affected in February, survey suggests.

About one in five people have symptoms of long Covid five weeks after an initial infection and one in seven after 12 weeks, an Office of National Statistics (ONS) survey suggests.

Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Also, I’ve seen no explanation of exactly what the hospital admission strategy should be if the virus was left to do its thing - ban all COVID patients?...after letting them wait for a test result?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Phileas wrote:Also, I’ve seen no explanation of exactly what the hospital admission strategy should be if the virus was left to do its thing - ban all COVID patients?...after letting them wait for a test result?

I think the idea is that once you've decided to let it take it's course you can then quietly ignore anyone with it and let them die quietly out of sight.
I'm not sure how you differentiate someone with respiratory problems due to covid or other causes or whether you start treating them and as soon as it proves to be covid you send them home or something.
Strictly speaking why stop at covid? Medical intervention is exponentially related to age, you *could* simply not have any medicine at all and just let the sick, old and infirm die off naturally. Think of the money!

I'm sure there's some logic in their reasoning somewhere even if it isn't based in the real world.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

It was my parents turn to have their second vaccine shot last Friday. I took them to the vaccination centre. Everything went smoothly. I didn't ask them if they had any effects after the injections but I have seen them since and they are fine.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

My partner and I had no noticeable side effects after the first dose.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

6.5_lives_left wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:13pm It was my parents turn to have their second vaccine shot last Friday. I took them to the vaccination centre. Everything went smoothly. I didn't ask them if they had any effects after the injections but I have seen them since and they are fine.
Which cv19 vaccine did they get?
I am here. Where are you?
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

I had my first one a couple of weeks ago
Had it on a Friday and was rough as a bears on the Saturday and Sunday and then fine Monday apart from a sore arm
Schoolboy error though
Had it in my left arm and thats the side i go to sleep on so struggled with the stinging
I am a bit on the mard side though :D
Had the Astra Zeneca one
2nd one is booked for 12th June and going to get it in my other arm
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

Cowsham wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:59pm
6.5_lives_left wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:13pm It was my parents turn to have their second vaccine shot last Friday. I took them to the vaccination centre. Everything went smoothly. I didn't ask them if they had any effects after the injections but I have seen them since and they are fine.
I am not certain but I think my parents had the Pfizer.
My Brother and I had AZ and we both had 24 hours of shivering, loss of appetite and generally feeling grotty, though fine after that.
(and I will gladly put up with that in preference to serious illness from contracting a dose of Covid-19).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

6.5_lives_left wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:37pm
Cowsham wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:59pm
I am not certain but I think my parents had the Pfizer.
My Brother and I had AZ and we both had 24 hours of shivering, loss of appetite and generally feeling grotty, though fine after that.
(and I will gladly put up with that in preference to serious illness from contracting a dose of Covid-19).
Too right!
I am here. Where are you?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tomorrow will be twelve weeks since my first vaccine dose.
I have had no invitation to the second, yet.
Is the schedule for this dose generally strictly kept, or is the timing just rough, varied by the contigencies of the campaign?
I don't want to start ringing round, chasing up my vaccination, unless this is needful.
If it is relevant, the vaccine was the Pfizer.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:32am Tomorrow will be twelve weeks since my first vaccine dose.
Is the schedule for this dose generally strictly kept, or is the timing just rough, varied by the contigencies of the campaign?
I don't want to start ringing round, chasing up my vaccination, unless this is needful.
Personally I would ask. I suspect something has been lost in the system.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:35am
Mike Sales wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:32am Tomorrow will be twelve weeks since my first vaccine dose.
Personally I would ask. I suspect something has been lost in the system.
Thanks. I think I should ring my neighbours first. They are a little older than me, so had the first a couple of days earlier.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Godzy89 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:38pm I had my first one a couple of weeks ago
Had it on a Friday and was rough as a bears on the Saturday and Sunday and then fine Monday apart from a sore arm
Schoolboy error though
Had it in my left arm and thats the side i go to sleep on so struggled with the stinging
I am a bit on the mard side though :D
Had the Astra Zeneca one
2nd one is booked for 12th June and going to get it in my other arm
Yes, you do sound like a mardarse🤣

For anyone who doesn’t know this is East Midlands dialect (although used in other places as well).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I strongly recommend chasing.

Was the first dose administered by a general practice, at a mass vaccination centre, or somewhere else?

Jonathan

PS: Yes, the schedule for the second dose can be a bit rough, just heard of one at 9.5 weeks.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:44am
I strongly recommend chasing.

Was the first dose administered by a general practice, at a mass vaccination centre, or somewhere else?

Jonathan

PS: Yes, the schedule for the second dose can be a bit rough, just heard of one at 9.5 weeks.
Thank you.
I suppose it was at a mass centre, but set up in the premises of a practice. Not my own G.P. anyway.